Simple depth change that i cant figure out.

ChrisC

I feel like this should be easy but i cant get it to work. Just want this object to be on top layer of depths unless player meets then i want the depth to change to below the player.

GML:
//Create Event
OriginalDepth = -10002;
ChangeDepth = oParPlayer.depth+1;
change = place_meeting(x,y,oParPlayer);
GML:
//step event
if change
{depth = ChangeDepth}
  else
{depth = OriginalDepth}

ChrisC

I need object A to be above B but I need C to be above A but not B... anyway to make A transparent to layer C but not to layer B?

ChrisC

Maybe im going about this this wrong way, the scene. PLayer in a dark room, to make the room dark im putting a 50% opacity black layer over top of the whole screen. But i want small lights on the walls that the player can walk in front of. So the lights need to not be effected but the black layer but also need to be behind the player that is effected by the black layer.

Maybe the black opacity layer is not the best idea visually speaking. Everything will look not only darker but dimmer and if you manage to put the lights over it they risk popping-up a bit too much.

To fully control the light and the scene's colors you might be better off recoloring the sprites for this scene to give them the night look.

ChrisC

Maybe the black opacity layer is not the best idea visually speaking. Everything will look not only darker but dimmer and if you manage to put the lights over it they risk popping-up a bit too much.

To fully control the light and the scene's colors you might be better off recoloring the sprites for this scene to give them the night look.
So the black layer is animated becuase i cut holes out of it to look like a spot light. but i need to be able to put lights in the background like table candles that will always appear bright.

https://youtu.be/01rrI3bX8Pw

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
moving to another topic
You don't "move to another topic" when the issue is the same. You follow the forum rules and keep all issues that relate to the same thing in the SAME topic. It's one topic per issue. I have merged your other topic with this one.

ChrisC

You don't "move to another topic" when the issue is the same. You follow the forum rules and keep all issues that relate to the same thing in the SAME topic. It's one topic per issue. I have merged your other topic with this one.
Oh i specifically moved to another topic because i thought the issue was not the same.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
now no one is answering the new question because the old one was answered already. Please help.
Okay, I'll close this topic and you can make another one if you want? I'm sorry if merging the topics has caused you an issue, it just looked like it was the same issue being discussed.... .