• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How To Add Timed Attack (Friday Night Funkin Gameplay)

QuizNos

Trying to set up a game like Friday Night Funkin where the main gameplay is the arrow keys to the music. How do I set up in the game maker studio where you earn a certain amount of points when you time the correct arrow? Also how to have it decrease points if missed. I would appreciate the simplest way possible since this is just a practice project nothing serious.

Ddawg97

If it was me, I'd make arrow objects that start at the bottom and then slowly move up. They when the user presses the "up" key, for example, check to see how close it is to the arrow cutout at the top. The closer it is, the more points you get. If it goes above it, you lose points.

As for matching it with the music, that's a little trickier. I'd look up some tutorials on music games, if you can find them.

QuizNos

If it was me, I'd make arrow objects that start at the bottom and then slowly move up. They when the user presses the "up" key, for example, check to see how close it is to the arrow cutout at the top. The closer it is, the more points you get. If it goes above it, you lose points.

As for matching it with the music, that's a little trickier. I'd look up some tutorials on music games, if you can find them.
Any idea on how to do that? How should I make the points differ at different times?

My advice is this: Don’t try a rhythm game in GMS for a practice project. Out of all the genres it is the one that GMS is least equipped to handle. It’s not impossible, perse, but it is a very technically challenging problem as GMS has literally barebones audio handling tools and being single-threaded means that it’s very difficult to make sure the audio and “gameplay” don’t go out of sync.

Its pretty difficult on all coding languages though, my strategy would be to make the song first, and then make the arrows accordingly.

Its pretty difficult on all coding languages though
This is true, which makes it not the best idea for a practice project (especially given the questions being asked, it seems as though the person is not experienced). But GMS makes it particularly hard in comparison to other languages. A rhythm game is not a beginner or even intermediate, really, project.

QuizNos

This is true, which makes it not the best idea for a practice project (especially given the questions being asked, it seems as though the person is not experienced). But GMS makes it particularly hard in comparison to other languages. A rhythm game is not a beginner or even intermediate, really, project.
well, you aren't wrong I am definitely not experienced but I need this for school, I do not care if it's on time with the music just wanted an idea on how to get the points added when pressed at a certain time.

Wainggan

well, you aren't wrong I am definitely not experienced but I need this for school, I do not care if it's on time with the music just wanted an idea on how to get the points added when pressed at a certain time.
Whoops I accidentally reloaded and lost everything I wrote, so here's a shorter version of what I wrote

Sound Arrows are notes that you need to hit
Click Arrows are where you need to hit
They are both objects.
The Sounds are placed in the room as objects, and they move into the Clicks.

The Clicks have a button they listen to. When the button is clicked, the Clicks check to see if a Sound is overlapping it. If it is, delete the Sound and give some points. If not, it was a miss.

If you want to keep the game in time with the music, I came up with 2 solutions that might or might not work

The first one is the easiest. Delta time. Here is a video explaining and showing how to implement it.
The second one is more complicated.
The Sounds do a calculation to see where in the song they would be clicked on. The Y position of the Clicks would be the 0 of the song. Then when they need to move, they check to see where they would be based on how much song has progressed. Here is a function that would help with that.

Alternatively, you would move the Clicks instead of the Sounds, and have the camera follow them. That might be more efficient actually.