Discussion [Animation] Typical steps-per-minute for various types of movement

Question: Has anyone found a good reference guide for typical steps per minute (or frames per cycle) for various types of movement?

Googling this inevitably leads to exercise advice, but I'm looking for typical step counts, not ideal ones. I'm also looking for speed ranges for things besides walking and running, such as climbing, crawling, limping, sneaking, monkeybars, etc.

I'm planning to put all this into a single reference sheet for use in my own animations.

Follow-up question: Would anyone be interested in using my reference sheet once I've completed it, and if so where should I share it?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I've never seen such a reference. It seems interesting though. I guess the best way to figure it out would be to actually do the things and see how fast you personally do them. Of course watching video of other people doing them also works for the same purpose. But then we all know that games do things however the dev feels like and things aren't always that realistic either so there is that.

If you do ever put something together, it would probably be a good read. It would be nice to see maybe a few examples of each movement, real and/or in games, comparing the different speeds the things happen in and if possible even how many frames were used in sprite animations(not doable if the game is rendering 3d models though).

As far as where to share it, you could just make a post here I would think, assuming you don't have a blog, website, or anything like that. It could just be another type of tutorial honestly.

we all know that games do things however the dev feels like and things aren't always that realistic either
I actually have a solution to that! I have been running already existing game animations and timing those!

For instance, in Metal Gear Solid V, the main character sprints at about 250 steps per minute and slow-crawls at about 60 steps per minute.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I actually have a solution to that! I have been running already existing game animations and timing those!

For instance, in Metal Gear Solid V, the main character sprints at about 250 steps per minute and slow-crawls at about 60 steps per minute.
There you go then, if you are willing and able to take all the time to do some timing of this stuff, I'm sure some people would appreciate you publishing the results, and more so if you do some analysis like showing averages and when it is sprite based how many frames are used.