• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED Android compiler horrendous performance

Elevory

Hello,

After upgrading to GameMaker v2.3, has anyone else found that the Android compiler (YYC) is borderline unusable?

It slows my 10900k processor to a crawl, with clang++.exe reportedly using 20-30 GB of RAM at any given time.

Half the time it will outright crash my PC, forcing me to hard reboot.

When it does work, it takes over an hour to finish the build. For comparison, I could export to Android on GM v2.2.5 in 30 minutes tops. Why such a huge difference?

It seems the problem might be related to the "x86_64" architecture. Computer tends to freeze after the following console output (not verbatim, just going from memory here):

"[x86_64] Installing libyoyo-app3.a"

If anyone knows of a possible workaround, please let me know. For now I'm going to try disabling the x86_64 architecture to see if it helps. I'll report back.

Thank you!

Elevory

Just Windows Defender with default settings, but I haven't seen any notifications from it during the compile process.

Elevory

Yeah, the compile only took around 30 minutes with the "x86_64" architecture unchecked. Computer didn't freeze up at all. Definitely seems like a bug.

Maybe this has been fixed in Android API 30? I'm still on version 29.

Mool

I have no problems, but I dont use x86 -> why are u using it? For Chromebooks?

1616703402259.png1616703432692.png

Last edited:

Elevory

I have no problems, but I dont use x86 -> why are u using it? For Chromebooks?
I just like my game to be available on as many platforms as possible. That said, it looks like I'm not losing support for anything very important:

1616706266221.png

So I'll probably just stick with Armv7 and Arm64 until compiler performance improves.

Mool

Guess what I added to my game? x86 -> since all chromebooks or pc like androids crash.

No problem with compile for me.

1616790182854.png

Elevory

Hey guys,

Just wanted to mention that after updating to runtime v2.3.2.420, IDE v2.3.2.556, my Android compiler issues have gone away.

Performance seems to be better than ever, in fact.

Mert

Hey guys,

Just wanted to mention that after updating to runtime v2.3.2.420, IDE v2.3.2.556, my Android compiler issues have gone away.

Performance seems to be better than ever, in fact.
They added those precompiled c header things into the compiler if I remember correctly