• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion [GUIDE] Changing the Default Options (such as game speed!) for New Projects in GMS2

Baku

If you're like me, you probably hate the fact that the default game speed of your new projects is 30 FPS, and want to have this be 60 instead, so you don't have to go in and change it manually every time a project is created.
I've complained about this before, but I just found a way of changing the default options, and I think you might find it useful. :)

What can this do for you?
Essentially, this allows you to change your default Main options (like game speed), as well as platform-specific options like product and copyright information, graphics options (vsync, allow fullscreen, etc.), and things like splash image, game icon, etc.

EDIT:
You can also add scripts, objects, rooms etc. that will carry over into new projects! Super useful if you have some helper scripts, controller objects etc. that you always use! This is way more useful than I thought!

-----

How to do it:

Open Explorer and go to:

C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.0.1.16\BaseProject

(that path might be different for you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

In that folder you'll find a "base" GMS2 project, that all new projects you create will inherit their default options - and apparently also scripts, objects, assets etc. - from.
Changing the default options is as simple as opening that project with GMS2, and - well - changing them!

Let's say for example you want to set the default game speed to 60 FPS. Open the Main options, and type 60.

If you want to add a script that shows up in all new projects, just create the script!

Save your changes, and... Tada!

Now try to create a new project, look at your new and shiny default options, and cry some tears of joy.

-----

Disclaimer
This was written as of IDE 2.0.1.33 and Runtime 2.0.1.16. Future updates could certainly break this. I'm guessing runtime updates might also wipe the base project and reset it to how YYG likes it. Backup your stuff.

How did I find this?
When the open beta launched, I noticed that the option files of my projects were located in a folder named "inherited", and "inherited" was even in the option file's filename.
So ever since then I've been looking for the source of those inherited options, and finally found them today. I'm certainly pretty happy right now ^^

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Be warned, this can be over written with new runtimes. Make sure to back up whatever you put in here.
Given the dangers of doing this by messing with installation files, why not add new options in global preferences so that we don't have to do that?

It's not like we've never asked for it before.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
The issue is that the runtime may well change the base project (which is why its part of the runtimes and not the IDE) - adding options, changing file formats or whatever. So it's not just case of having your "old" one somewhere. But we'll keep this in mind.

Karlstens

I really really really hope Yoyo add a "Templates" system for new projects, allowing users to create their own default template, with scripts and settings, that can then be used for new projects.

It's a real pain setting up a new project with the same settings over and over.

I had hoped that I could simply edit the %programdata% runtime cache, but looking at that starter .yyp file compared to a saved .yyp via notepad++ shows how they certainly are structurally different and I don't like the idea of changing them.

Has anyone had more experience with this lately?

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist
GMC Elder
I really really really hope Yoyo add a "Templates" system for new projects, allowing users to create their own default template, with scripts and settings, that can then be used for new projects.

It's a real pain setting up a new project with the same settings over and over.

I had hoped that I could simply edit the %programdata% runtime cache, but looking at that starter .yyp file compared to a saved .yyp via notepad++ shows how they certainly are structurally different and I don't like the idea of changing them.

Has anyone had more experience with this lately?
You can make local packages. They aren't automatically included in new projects, but they're easily imported.