Developing an Android Game with GMS 1.4

Hey everyone,

I've spent some time making small games with game maker 8 and game maker Studio 1.4 for some time now.
However I never published anything (except one project for an elementary school but it was exclusive and didn't release online).

Now I feel like I want to try to make a basic game for Android and I have a few question:

1. Does the programming / coding require extra skills, or can I just keep doing what I learned so far? Like Java..?

2. Would someone help me set the Android SDK and everything I need up, so I'm good to go? I watched Shaun Spalding's tutorial in this, however I would feel better if someone watched over me, so I don't mess things up.

3. Do I need to purchase the license first, or only when I'm about to release?
Because if I don't finish the game for some reason, it would be in vain, right?
Is it possible to finish the game, then get the 1 month achiever license, release the game and then never worry about the license again in case this is the only Android game I'll ever make? I am aiming to make the game 100% free to play.

Thanks a lot in advance!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
1. Does the programming / coding require extra skills, or can I just keep doing what I learned so far? Like Java..?
You should learn how to use GMS 2.3+ first. GMS 1.4 cannot publish to Google Play anymore.

Learning at least some basic Java is essential in case something breaks with a ready-made extension, or you need to set up a custom integration.

2. Would someone help me set the Android SDK and everything I need up, so I'm good to go? I watched Shaun Spalding's tutorial in this, however I would feel better if someone watched over me, so I don't mess things up.
The helpdesk article for Android setup is more than enough. Save yourself.

If you can't even follow the instructions for setting up the SDK on your own, you shouldn't be doing this stuff in public.

3. Do I need to purchase the license first, or only when I'm about to release?
Because if I don't finish the game for some reason, it would be in vain, right?
Is it possible to finish the game, then get the 1 month achiever license, release the game and then never worry about the license again in case this is the only Android game I'll ever make? I am aiming to make the game 100% free to play.
Android store policies shift around all the time and require at least monthly attention to make sure things haven't gone south. On top of that, store approval can sometimes drag on for at least a month or two, and getting it right on your first shot isn't a given. A 1-month license just once at publication time will not cut it.

If you wanted something that's once-and-done, you should never have had any of the mobile exports in mind.

You should learn how to use GMS 2.3+ first. GMS 1.4 cannot publish to Google Play anymore.

Learning at least some basic Java is essential in case something breaks with a ready-made extension, or you need to set up a custom integration.

The helpdesk article for Android setup is more than enough. Save yourself.

If you can't even follow the instructions for setting up the SDK on your own, you shouldn't be doing this stuff in public.

Android store policies shift around all the time and require at least monthly attention to make sure things haven't gone south. On top of that, store approval can sometimes drag on for at least a month or two, and getting it right on your first shot isn't a given. A 1-month license just once at publication time will not cut it.

If you wanted something that's once-and-done, you should never have had any of the mobile exports in mind.
Thank you for the hints! That's actually something i can work with!
Would it be possible to compile and APK file in GMS 1.4 just for me only though?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Would it be possible to compile and APK file in GMS 1.4 just for me only though?
Only if you have already purchased the GMS 1.4 Android export before its sunset in July 2018, in which case you would use the old SDK setup instead of the new one.

If you don't already have the export, you must start anew in GMS 2.3+. YoYo has stopped selling and supporting GMS 1.4 exports almost 3 years ago.

Only if you have already purchased the GMS 1.4 Android export before its sunset in July 2018, in which case you would use the old SDK setup instead of the new one.

If you don't already have the export, you must start anew in GMS 2.3+. YoYo has stopped selling and supporting GMS 1.4 exports almost 3 years ago.
Oh okay I didn't know that, cause I never really checked the updates. This is kind of a side hobby I come back to every once in a while. That's why I just want to try making an android game and not sell some professional product or anything. I would start off with some really basic thing just to try. I've made more complex games in gms 1.4 though but never liked into anything else then windows export, cause I needed to focus on this (I am still learning more advanced gml).

So my only chance to try doing this is by getting gms 2 right? And I could make some really basic thing and just export it for my own phone to mess around with it without having to purchase a license? Because I only want to test and stuff, because I'm far from releasing a serious android game. I just want to make some test projects that only I will be playing on my own phone, just so I can practice.

If something useful comes out, I might purchase a license though.