• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED iOS splash screens in GMS 2.3+

Mr Errorz

Just updated to 2.3, and I am wondering what are the correct dimensions for the iOS splash screens as it is not mentioned in the Game Options dialogue box.
Also, which Launchscreen fill option would be best to handle to myriad of ratios and sizes on iOS devices.
[I guess same question goes for Android too].

ios_splash.png

Juju

We're using 1135x2436 and 1334x750 with a suitable matching border colour. Keep Aspect Ratio is selected. No idea where these settings came from but that'll get you started.

Mr Errorz

So, I replaced the files with the dimensions @Juju suggested, it seems to work nice,
BUT... and it's a big but,
It seems the game launches with the original YoYo splash that quickly dissolves to the image I uploaded into the project,
the original YoYo splash is visible only for a few frames, but you can still notice it, and it's a bit of a bummer to say the least..
Is there any way around that undesired effect?

Here are a couple of images that show what I mean-

201.png
202.png

Juju

Looks like you're running through an emulator - are you seeing the same on an actual device?

Mr Errorz

Looks like you're running through an emulator - are you seeing the same on an actual device?
These are screenshots from an actual device, not an emulator.

Not sure if it matters,
but compiling on PC, VM, using runtime 2.3.1.409, and my mac has Xcode 11.4 installed.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
If your game options are set correctly now, but cleaning your project cache and doing another build does not fix, then we are aware of an iOS issue where the device itself caches all that splash screen info and you basically need to manually uninstall the app, restart your device, and then send over a new build.

It's a long-time known feature/bug Apple have never addressed. Feel free to Google if you want more info and confirmation I didn't just make all that up (cos I appreciate it sounds silly) and you will find plenty about this.

Mr Errorz

If your game options are set correctly now, but cleaning your project cache and doing another build does not fix, then we are aware of an iOS issue where the device itself caches all that splash screen info and you basically need to manually uninstall the app, restart your device, and then send over a new build.

It's a long-time known feature/bug Apple have never addressed. Feel free to Google if you want more info and confirmation I didn't just make all that up (cos I appreciate it sounds silly) and you will find plenty about this.
That's okay, I wouldn't have thought you made that up :)
And yeah, cleaning the cache and than uninstalling / installing a new build worked, thanks!