GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 40 - 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL 🎉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Director_X

Hi folks. Am running into compile problems. :( Unsure I can make the deadline. Have been spending half the time fighting GM itself: uneclared variable errors - even though it's been declared in the create event! Have tried both GML and DnD and nothing is working. instance_create_layer/depth in GML fails, but works in DnD! Arrgh. :( Sorry Green team....

Moon Goat

Does anyone know of any good music that goes with sugar-coated chaos? I wish I could use the Victoria's Lab theme from Little Big Planet... but rules are rules I guess.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Hi folks. Am running into compile problems. :( Unsure I can make the deadline. Have been spending half the time fighting GM itself: uneclared variable errors - even though it's been declared in the create event! Have tried both GML and DnD and nothing is working. instance_create_layer/depth in GML fails, but works in DnD! Arrgh. :( Sorry Green team....
That's sad to hear. It's always frustrating when you can't control what's going wrong.

Does anyone know of any good music that goes with sugar-coated chaos? I wish I could use the Victoria's Lab theme from Little Big Planet... but rules are rules I guess.
have a look at https://freemusicarchive.org and see if you can't find something there. If you give proper attributions and make it clear where the music comes from (i.e not yours) it's well within the rules because we are aware not everyone has access to a musician.

Toque

If anyone is done and wouldn't mind helping me, I could use a hand finding a few sound assets for my game. (I'm at work, won't be able to finish my entry until T-8 hours to deadline).
Specifically, I need a small crowd murmur sound and a large crowd murmur sound. A crowd applause/party sound. Then whatever other sounds you might think would work (if you take a look at the video I posted). Sounds for pickups and stuff.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
I have time. Will send a few sounds. Downloading now. Not sure it will fit but at least you will have a couple easy options......

Mightyjor

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I guess I'm "done".
Once again, utter pants and not really a game.
Killed by da clock! - so little free time - only ended up putting in maybe 5 hours total...
oh well, it is what it is.

I might revisit this one someday, if I ever have free time...
For anyone who cares, the *idea* was...
a kinda Tamagotchi, you feed it pills to keep it dancing.
Yellow - happy, dances faster
Red - angry, enough red pills makes it smash the screen for a game over - was also toying with the idea of having it change into an apple body...
Green - sickly, enough green pills makes it puke all over the screen for a game over - was also toying with the idea of having it change into a pear body...
Pink pills - adds increasing layers of feminine traits (eyelashes, lipstick, long hair) - can be stacked with masculine traits
Blue pills - adds increasing layers of masculine traits (stubble, tache, beard) - can be stacked with feminine traits
Flashing pill - adds various mutations to it (extra eyes, extra arms, tentacles)

And I was gonna have some kinda "screen save your thing to a gallery on my site thing and to share with others"

Alas, I achieved none of that.
Ya can just feed him the pills - and they do nothing at all.
THE END.

336aca89d357c78241f128098043917c.jpeg

TehPilot

Hey everyone. Apologies I've been uncharacteristically silent on the forums - it took a good deal of focus and effort to get something pulled together this time. But that's all done and I've put up the games topic post for my entry, Party Animal.

Games topic post

It's been a good one. If the spirit particularly motivates me, I may update the game with a few more levels and graphical tweaks before the deadline. Best of luck to everyone in the last eight hours!

Mercyssh

It so wonderful to see all of these posts. I'm really looking forward to playing everyone's games and getting feedback on my own game too!!

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
I'm sad, there's not NEARLY as much to the game as I wanted.
I hurt my back pretty bad over the weekend and it put me out for a day, then I had work... So I kinda lost all my time.
There's a playable thing though! I might work on spiffing it up over the next few weeks.

GAME HERE

woodsmoke

:[ I couldn't come up with an idea until now, at work 3h before the end of the jam. I'm such a theme-nazi; My game must fully comply to the theme. The idea is pretty simple. If the jam miraciously gets extended till midnight I'd love to do it, but I don't see that happening. Sorry team green, I have besmirked my honour.

Last edited:
T

Tristan

I believe the jams done! GG everyone and good luck to all!
opps, wrong section, sorry....

Uploaded ours! This is probably the best entry I've ever submitted. Really proud of the game we managed to make!
Good night all. See you in the morning.

There is a direct google drive link, and an itchio link which I will tomorrow update with a more thorough summary and screenshots.

Poizen

It looks like if you have F-Secure it will remove my game executable as a trojan-dropper. Feels bad, man. :(

It's probably always been like that but this is the first time I tested it.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
I stayed up 24 hours to get this done but I did it somehow!
And it's 6 in the morning. And I have to go to work today. D:

My game is in a state of absolute spaghetti, and is more prototype than complete game... but hey, that's a Jam for you! Please enjoy City Scuttler... Even if it crashes on you!

I'm gonna stay up a few more minutes and see if it's even beatable.

HayManMarc

AAaahhhgghh --- I'm just now uploading my game! (Don't shoot me, please.)

Didn't quite finish, really rough around the edges, but it's mostly there. Didn't have time to make a front end/intro/menu, so you're just thrown right in. No tutorial or help screen, so please read the README file that is included in the zip.

Okay, love you, bye.

Kyon

Ok so I didn't make anything. Really didn't have the time, but also motivation to work on something this weekend. Felt really over-worked and sad.
I did write a devlog lol (in the other topic) so you can see what I "tried" to make. Had a cool concept in mind at first, but didn't continue it. Will for sure work on it more some time because I really like how it looked.
Then an hour ago I sort of thought "lets just make an entry in 1 hour time", but that was too ambitious as I got a lot of errors when trying to scale a small-res-view to fullscreen, and adding my shaders on top of that. Took me 30 minutes but I did manage to do that. Then spent 10 minutes on pixelart and realized I got nothing hahhah

Micah_DS

Man, my greed really got the better of me this time. :oops:

I decided I'd do 3D no matter what, way before the jam or discussion even started, but I still hadn't prepared enough. Long story short is that I got a barely-playable game submitted, and with no audio whatsoever, so... that's kind of a big deal for me. Ah well, it was a risky concept, even if I didn't make it in 3D, the spinning party thing is hard to make play well.

No regrets though. I enjoyed jamming, and I'm very excited about playing all the games!

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
And now we wait for everyone to inevitably find that game breaking bug you'd somehow missed
I had a fatal crash while playing the poolstick game in OneBigParty, by @Gizmo199 and @shortbread. Despite this, this game is an absolutely POLISHED GEM!!. You set the bar WAAAAY UP, folks! Well done. Speaking of bugs though, I found a bug in my game too. My game music is silent if you try to play the game again after beating it. It was caused by doing an audio_sound_gain to fade it out...and not setting it back a-"gain." Sorry. One more joke. Seriously though, I've never worked so hard in all my life. I was doing 16 to 20 hour shifts all 4 days. My wife was running food up to me to make sure I didn't die of starvation during development. I was still in the process of developing my dialog typewriter piece when the Jam started, and I had to devote a good deal of time squashing bugs on it while I was supposed to be making content, so that sucked. But I wouldn't trade these 4 days for anything. I invented new things, solved programming challenges, took big risks, and got something that plays, so I'm happy. I'll be enjoying some rest and relaxation while playing the games. Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries. One Big Party is the one to beat!!!

I uploaded a zip file of Candle but didn't update the link to google drive because i thought it would link to the folder as opposed to the file. Here's the link I meant to include [which as the zip]:

I dunno if any mods can include this in my post in the GMC entry because the upload date hasn't changed and it was before the deadline, someone in the discord mentioned that people would be more likely to play it if it was downloadable as a zip, but like I say, I didn't change the download link =[

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Get the Games:

ALL 77 GAMES + RANDOMISER (700MB)
1.3GB when extracted, you'll need a program like 7-zip to do so

Slow connection? Data limit? Not enough time to play all of the games? There are other options for you here:

You can download the "lightweight randomiser" here, it contains most of the features of the usual randomiser
but you have to download each entry yourself as you play it:
https://mega.nz/file/zKhhDYwL#_RO6QpROvcnoKWpsaw6Doq2LQUKH7sUGRMVQuMvpO8s (2 MB)

or you can just download individual games from the games topic here:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gmc-jam-40-games-topic-enter-here.83982/

@Steelegms2 - fear not, any game which was compiled as an installer has been extracted and thrown into the games zip as if it were any other game. (EDIT: and I've updated your post in the games topic in case anyone downloads from there)

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Get the Games:

ALL 77 GAMES + RANDOMISER (700MB)
1.3GB when extracted, you'll need a program like 7-zip to do so

Slow connection? Data limit? Not enough time to play all of the games? There are other options for you here:

You can download the "lightweight randomiser" here, it contains most of the features of the usual randomiser
but you have to download each entry yourself as you play it:
https://mega.nz/file/zKhhDYwL#_RO6QpROvcnoKWpsaw6Doq2LQUKH7sUGRMVQuMvpO8s (2 MB)

or you can just download individual games from the games topic here:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gmc-jam-40-games-topic-enter-here.83982/

@Steelegms2 - fear not, any game which was compiled as an installer has been extracted and thrown into the games zip as if it were any other game.
That mega link insults me!
Mirror link: https//drivegooglecom/file/d/1R-InSaYu1bDS89D26dEvReAkNmdocIrj

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Uh oh. My game has a bug that basically guarantees a crash towards the middle of the game. 😬
Oh my goodness. I found the bug. It was so stupid and obvious and I was way too tired to see it. XD
Unfortunately it is also 100% game breaking. Well, more like 99% but still. I'm gonna fix it and upload a post-jam version to WIP. (It's ok if there's a post-jam game before the jam ends, as long as I'm being judged on the actual jam version right?)

Gizmo199

I had a fatal crash while playing the poolstick game in OneBigParty, by @Gizmo199 and @shortbread. Despite this, this game is an absolutely POLISHED GEM!!. You set the bar WAAAAY UP, folks! Well done. Speaking of bugs though, I found a bug in my game too. My game music is silent if you try to play the game again after beating it. It was caused by doing an audio_sound_gain to fade it out...and not setting it back a-"gain." Sorry. One more joke. Seriously though, I've never worked so hard in all my life. I was doing 16 to 20 hour shifts all 4 days. My wife was running food up to me to make sure I didn't die of starvation during development. I was still in the process of developing my dialog typewriter piece when the Jam started, and I had to devote a good deal of time squashing bugs on it while I was supposed to be making content, so that sucked. But I wouldn't trade these 4 days for anything. I invented new things, solved programming challenges, took big risks, and got something that plays, so I'm happy. I'll be enjoying some rest and relaxation while playing the games. Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries. One Big Party is the one to beat!!!
Oh no!!!! :( it happens. We were at the wire getting it done. Dang. Well at least it's only 1 game (so far. 😬)

Gizmo199

Honestly, I wouldn't even take away a star. It's a really nice work! You guys should publish this one on the Nintendo Switch and start your own studio.
Haha. Thanks! Idk about all that but I'm glad you liked it! :p by chance you wouldn't remember exactly what caused the crash/what made it crash?

Gizmo199

Nothing in particular. I had played many successful rounds of each minigame before it happened, but it happened at the end of the poolstick game.
Whew! At least you got to play them without any issues some. lol. I was worried it was some last minute oversight. :p I feel like errors are just part of the game jam experience. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.