• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Delayed Compile

Karlstens

Hi all,

At first I thought my game was failing to compile, but with no errors listing in the logs it became a bit of a mystery. And testing other apps in my codebase revealed that even my simple apps were failing to compile - or so I thought. Exiting and restarting GMS2 didn't fix the issue, neither did logging out my Windows session. But a computer restart seems to address the problem *most* of the time - I haven't fully figured out the issue which is why I'm posting here.

But thankfully just now, I have discovered that it's not that the game fails to compile, instead of the usual compile time of say 5 seconds - I have to wait without notice about 30-60 seconds before the game displays. The process where the wait occurs is on the last line; X://windows/x64/Runner.exe

Code:
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=770.4566
Stats : GMA : sp=2,au=0,bk=0,pt=0,sc=3,sh=0,fo=0,tl=0,ob=4,ro=1,da=0,ex=0,ma=5,fm=0x200A0090EA40020
DoSteam
Igor complete.
[Run] Run game
Options: Z:/Health_Arm_29372175_FD75C8D5\MainOptions.json
X://windows/x64/Runner.exe  -game "Y:/Health_Armour_Shield_45F616EC_VM\Health_Armour_Shield.win"
After approx 30-60 seconds, then the game displays and the logging continues as per normal;

Code:
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
DirectX11: Using hardware device
Collision Event time(microsecs)=6
Total memory used = 7942642(0x007931f2) bytes
Entering main loop.
Setting scheduler resolution to 1

This issue started a month ago, possibly with the latest Windows 10 update? Interestingly both the release GMS2 and the Beta version start having this problem at the same time. It's a bit of a pain, so would be keen to hear if anyone else is experiencing this, or ways to resolve it. I've started configuring Windows Security to make exceptions to GMS2 exe and sub-directories, but problem persists...

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Is some sort of antivirus software running a heuristic scan on the game before it starts? Try this with all security software disabled.

Karlstens

Is some sort of antivirus software running a heuristic scan on the game before it starts? Try this with all security software disabled.
I only have default Windows Defender, set as default for years with GMS2 running fine. I've now configured it to ignore GMS2 processes but the problem persists. Things I've also tried;

- Turning off "Use subst for drive paths" in compile settings, no change
- Deleting %temp% and restarting GMS2
- Deleting %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2-Beta\GMS2TEMP

During the wait, there doesn't seem to be much activity in Windows Task Manager. Wonder what's tripping it up, it's a pain to reboot, and sometimes the reboot doesn't resolve the issue.

One other thing worth noting;
Last night it compiled just fine at 10:30pm, then I went to bed. My computer went to sleep. Wake up this morning, and the problem is there...

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
What version of GMS is this? If it's the current one, have you tried a previous version to see if it still occurs? That way we can rule it out as GMS issue (if it still occurs) or conclude that it IS a GMS issue if it doesn't occur.

Karlstens

What version of GMS is this? If it's the current one, have you tried a previous version to see if it still occurs? That way we can rule it out as GMS issue (if it still occurs) or conclude that it IS a GMS issue if it doesn't occur.
I'm experiencing this issue on both the current version of GMS2 and the beta version at the same time. When the problem is apparent, it's happening on both apps, when I close one down to test the other the problem persists.

I haven't tested the previous version yet, which might be a point - I think GMS2 updated recently? Maybe a month or so ago?

rIKmAN

I only have default Windows Defender, set as default for years with GMS2 running fine. I've now configured it to ignore GMS2 processes but the problem persists. Things I've also tried;
Setting it to ignore GMS2 processes won't solve the problem, it may be files/folders that are created/accessed during compile time are being scanned (as Tsuka said), which is why they advised you to disable it rathe than add a process to the whitelist.

Fully disable Windows Defender (ie. turn it off completely), reboot the computer and do a few test compiles and see if the results improve.
This is the only way to completely rule it out as the problem.

Karlstens

Setting it to ignore GMS2 processes won't solve the problem, it may be files/folders that are created/accessed during compile time are being scanned (as Tsuka said), which is why they advised you to disable it rathe than add a process to the whitelist.

Fully disable Windows Defender (ie. turn it off completely), reboot the computer and do a few test compiles and see if the results improve.
This is the only way to completely rule it out as the problem.
Sorry, I understand now. And yup, I absolutely did this bit it made no difference.

It might seem that I’m the only one with this issue, as no one else is posting the same issue, so it might be a particular bug that’s creeped into my system =\

Sorry, I understand now. And yup, I absolutely did this bit it made no difference.

It might seem that I’m the only one with this issue, as no one else is posting the same issue, so it might be a particular bug that’s creeped into my system =\
I am experiencing the same thing again and again. I did find a fix though; updating your drivers and windows to the latest version has always fixed it for me.

So for me its the latest nVidia drivers and also latest windows update.

However, this needs to addressed and fixed soon, since updating both of those mid project, especially when it is big, is a really big risk. The latest windows update even has gaming performance problems right now too, so its not the best idea to update.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
This community is not monitored by the developers, so posting here will not get anything fixed. Therefore, please file a bug report if you are facing issues and/or have found a fix or indicators of the source for issues so that it can be tracked and fixed in the next release.