Has anyone ran Gms 2.3 on linux?

No idea this thread should be so putting it here.

I'm making the switch to Linux, (windows updating during my gaming sessions has gone to far) luckily all the programs-games I use have Linux support. But Game maker is the issue that has prevented me from switching for a long time though... Has anyone tried installing it via wine or another way? I'm going to try it either way but I'm just looking for pointers that might help before I get to it. And probably should say I'm trying the Debian distro. Thanks!

Mercerenies

There was a tutorial on here awhile ago for how to set up GM:S with Wine, but I can't seem to find it now. I'll link it here if I run into it again.

Regardless, I've had no real success with it. I'm a full-time Linux user going on four years now, and despite my best efforts, GM:S (1.4 or 2) fails to cooperate under Wine, on either Ubuntu or Fedora. It's one of the primary reasons I don't use GM full-time anymore. I still keep an old Windows box around for the Jams, but it's just a hassle to switch over to, so I only do so every once in awhile.

There was a tutorial on here awhile ago for how to set up GM:S with Wine, but I can't seem to find it now. I'll link it here if I run into it again.

Regardless, I've had no real success with it. I'm a full-time Linux user going on four years now, and despite my best efforts, GM:S (1.4 or 2) fails to cooperate under Wine, on either Ubuntu or Fedora. It's one of the primary reasons I don't use GM full-time anymore. I still keep an old Windows box around for the Jams, but it's just a hassle to switch over to, so I only do so every once in awhile.
This is the topic you're referring to. https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/run-the-gms2-ide-on-ubuntu-19-04.64330/

I'm not a linux user, but I don't really expect GMS 2 to run well under an emulator since I know there are emulators that try emulating modern software but aren't exactly the best at doing it. (I'll get back to Vita3K When LBP Vita can run on it.)

I'm not a linux user, but I don't really expect GMS 2 to run well under an emulator since I know there are emulators that try emulating modern software but aren't exactly the best at doing it. (I'll get back to Vita3K When LBP Vita can run on it.)
Wine Is Not an Emulator. That's not just a statement, it's what WINE was originally an acronym of. Wine is a compatibility layer. It merely translates Windows-specific API calls into POSIX (i.e. runs on Linux) calls. Performance is usually not an issue at all.

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Wine Is Not an Emulator. That's not just a statement, it's what WINE was originally an acronym of. Wine is a compatibility layer. It merely translates Windows-specific API calls into POSIX calls. Performance is usually not an issue at all.
I know it's in the name...but how do you define emulator such that this wouldn't count as one? An emulator can do more or less things and still be an emulator. An emulator is simply something that emulates something else, regardless of how it achieves that. And WINE is certainly doing that. The software you run doesn't even know it isn't on a Windows machine...sounds like emulation to me.

Sure, it may all be a technicality...but I just can't see you redefine the meaning of the word and let you get away with it :p

I know it's in the name...but how do you define emulator such that this wouldn't count as one? An emulator can do more or less things and still be an emulator. An emulator is simply something that emulates something else, regardless of how it achieves that. And WINE is certainly doing that. The software you run doesn't even know it isn't on a Windows machine...sounds like emulation to me.

Sure, it may all be a technicality...but I just can't see you redefine the meaning of the word and let you get away with it :p
I'm not trying to redefine anything? I was merely responding to someone with obviously very little knowledge of the subject in a manner that explains why it doesn't hinder performance without going into too much detail.

Nowadays, when people see the word "emulator" their mind immediately goes to software-based hardware emulators like the ones commonly used to play retro games. Hence why the person I was responding to was so confused. Emulation of hardware has a very hefty performance cost. Yes, Wine does emulation, but it's not that kind of emulator. Basically all Wine does is translate (emulate, imitate, whatever synonym you want to use) Windows APIs. That's 100% software and usually has a minimal impact on performance.

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I'm not trying to redefine anything? I was merely responding to someone with obviously very little knowledge of the subject in a manner that explains why it doesn't hinder performance without going into too much detail.

Nowadays, when people see the word "emulator" their mind immediately goes to software-based hardware emulators like the ones commonly used to play retro games. Hence why the person I was responding to was so confused. Emulation of hardware has a very hefty performance cost. Yes, Wine does emulation, but it's not that kind of emulator. Basically all Wine does is translate (emulate, imitate, whatever synonym you want to use) Windows APIs. That's 100% software and usually has a minimal impact on performance.
And on your point we agree! I never understood why the devs of WINE claim it's not an emulator, but I ALSO see why the word emulator is indeed typically associated with something that does much more than a simple compatibility layer. That doesn't make something that does less not be considered an emulator, it IS emulating something after all.

I personally have never found the appeal in emulating a modern OS. Even though I don't like Windows for various reasons, it is simply necessary for most of what I do and I've accepted that. I prefer to just boot it up than to mess with workarounds that don't work well for too many things. If the emulation was closer and worked for more things, maybe.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Wine Is Not an Emulator. That's not just a statement, it's what WINE was originally an acronym of. Wine is a compatibility layer. It merely translates Windows-specific API calls into POSIX (i.e. runs on Linux) calls. Performance is usually not an issue at all.
A little off topic, i thought it was originally short for Win "E" or Windows Emulator but they changed the meaning as an afterthought because they realized that wasn't the proper term for it.

I can't remember where i read that and might not be true. Carry on.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Run a windows emulator on linux and build the linux port on the host machine running the emulator hosting GMS

Z

ZigmudLeic

Expected another wine....šŸ·

Binsk

Sigh.

Whether you think WINE is an emulator or not (it is not), it works in a very different way than an emulator giving you two points:
1. It is significantly harder to get things to run under it than w/ an emulator
2. If you get something to run then it runs extremely close to native speeds, unlike a 'normal' emulator

Next, look at the topic linked by @nacho_chicken , it tells you how to get 2.x working through WINE. I have been a Linux user for 10+ years (using as daily driver for around 5 of these) and thus have been running GameMaker through WINE for a long time with zero issues. 2.x is practically flawless if you follow the topic listed, even up to the export stage and running the result on Windows machines. The only thing not listed is for 2.3 to work (as opposed to 2.2) you need dotnet48 from winetricks installed in your prefix so make sure to do that.

The topic uses some 3rd party tools to manage your prefixes, can't speak for those as I did it directly but I would imagine the functionality should be the same. Not sure how you use winetricks w/ those tools.

I highly suggest you get this running through WINE rather than using an emulator (although both options work) if you can. Reasons being:
1. WINE doesn't require Windows so no key or ISO required
2. WINE doesn't require the SPACE of Windows (you are saving GB here)
3. No having to manually boot the VM every time you develop a game and it is integrated w/ your other desktop windows
4. WINE runs at close to native speeds

That's my spiel.

Last edited: