• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM [SOLVED] Sprites: Onion Skin

S

SunnySunzo

Recently picked up the Humble Bundle GM Studio, really excited to make some games, though I've hit a roadblock, I'm not the best at this, and in particular I'm having a lot of trouble because there's no onion skin.

Is Onion Skin a feature? if so how do I enable it? if not tips on how to keep consistency between frames?

Thanks in advance.

A

Aura

Welcome to the GMC~♫

The Manual entry for onion-skinning said:
At the bottom right of the window you can see the controls for the Onion-Skinning function of the image editor. What onion-skinning means is that in a single frame of any sprite animation, you can choose to see any of the preceding or succeeding four frames as a semi-transparent layer under the image frame you are currently working on.
You can choose the alpha value that each frame will be drawn with, from 0 to 255, as well as how many of the frames to show. By setting the Forward value you can see those frames that come after the frame currently being edited and by setting the Backwards value, you can see those that come before. You can set these to a value from 0 (none) to 4 (all four frames will be drawn), permitting you a far greater control over animations and positioning than was previously possible.
Note that we suggest using the onion-skinning over a colour-fill background rather than a transparent one (you can set this option from the View menu of the image editor and selecting Set Transparency Background), as it makes the transparencies of the various skins easier to see.
http://docs.yoyogames.com/source/da...use/more about sprites/editing subimages.html

kamiyasi

Now I feel silly; I've been using GM since GM7 and Studio since its launch and I didn't know about onion skinning in the editor; but then again I make my sprites in flash or photoshop

S

SunnySunzo

Now I feel silly; I've been using GM since GM7 and Studio since its launch and I didn't know about onion skinning in the editor; but then again I make my sprites in flash or photoshop
Yeah, I can see the appeal of doing your sprites in an outside editor. I'm not much of a graphic designer, so I just use what I've got.

Warspite2

I have made some really nice graphics and sprites with the built in editor. Many times my entire game graphics are created and edited that way. ;)

S

Sudo_Radish

At first I was reluctant to use the inbuilt tool because it didn't look like it was very powerful. However I was very wrong about that and it is really good for doing pixel art. The only real issue I have is that the colour picker is still a little lackluster. It would be nice to get it to accept external pallets.