• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Stuck on "my 1st game" tutorial

I am following
"My First Game - DnD - Score, Lives & Effects - Space Rocks (Part 4)"
I got to the part where you press enter to go to the next room. it is supposed to go from the start screen to the game screen, but it goes right to the gameover screen. i am stuck. I cant figure what i did wrong.

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
I'm guessing that your room order is wrong, Im GMS 1.4 the order of rooms in the list is the order it iterates through when using room_goto_next and prev.
Otherwise I believe you can specify a precise room to go to.

I'm guessing that your room order is wrong, Im GMS 1.4 the order of rooms in the list is the order it iterates through when using room_goto_next and prev.
Otherwise I believe you can specify a precise room to go to.
Yep, I haven't checked the tutorial, but if they use "room_goto_next();" anywhere, that could be messy, best to specify it directly by the room id.
But updating all these tutorials must be quite a task, they are everywhere.

Slyddar

I got to the part where you press enter to go to the next room. it is supposed to go from the start screen to the game screen, but it goes right to the gameover screen.
Gamemaker has had a patch to version 2.3 since that tutorial was recorded. Just dragging rooms around in the room folder is not enough to set their order. You need to click on the little house icon next to the room name in the asset browser, and set the order in the Room Order tab, in the Room Manager window, by either dragging them up and down, or using the arrow icons.