GMC Jam Discussion The Cosy GMC Jam 39 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart

WiseBart
Yes, it's a Swedish Å. It's a dumb joke where the English word "horse" is misspelled but still pronounced the same. If you were to translate it to English, you'd get "hair's" which makes absolutely no sense in this context.
Interesting! Jag förstår!
Guess it might as well be a reference to the princess' wavy hair then, if interpreted differently. That way it could actually make sense.

Micah_DS

~ My thanks to everyone for their comments and videos on Flufferpuff (my game) ~

Since I've finished my votes and feedback, I've finally taken the time to read everyone's feedback and to watch all the gameplay for Flufferpuff, and WOW, great comments!
I got to hear a vast array of viewpoints and I'm grateful that the criticisms were harsh-yet-fair and often incredibly constructive as well. Some of you even went beyond to give advice on a better way to do something, not just pointing out an issue and leaving it at that. My game also got some very unexpected high praise. I couldn't ask for better feedback, thank you! :)

~ Takeaways ~

After seeing/reading everything, my main takeaway is to do better in avoiding harsh and loud audio, so I will try my best to create more warm and soothing waves in the future (inb4 I do shrill metal music), while also defaulting at a lower master volume. I'm planning to make a basic modular audio menu asset - something I can pop in a project super fast - so I can help myself avoid this mistake in the future, perhaps saving some ears.
I also realized I may have to rethink my 'always go borderless fullscreen' approach to jams. Perhaps it's time I embrace windowed.

As far as positives go, I started my game with the goal of creating 'fun movement', and I think that was the best decision I made this jam.
Up till now, I've been scared of trying to do even remotely complicated movement in jam games, which is why I've previously done lots of grid-based movement, thinking I could save time that way while also avoiding bugs, but now I'm not sure it was a healthy concern, because more free movement can introduce so many more fun possibilities. I think I should try to embrace fun in movement going forward.

I'm not sure if anyone will read my wall of text, but if someone does, maybe it'll help them too, or maybe it's just me talking out loud for no reason... I will shut up now. :p

N

Neo_Kesha

Regarding "Persona 5" music in my game - i am no composer and yes, i am completly aware of royalty free music and that this one is copyrighter, i said so in description of my entry, that i used Persona 5 track. I am completly fine with being disqualified cuz i don't really care - i had a lot of fun during that one hour making game and hope someone had fun playing my game. Enough for me.
Originally i wanted to skip jam entirely because it's hard to find time and energy to make jam game when you make game 8 hours a day 5 days a week already.
But at last moment i was like "Nah" and did something stoopid and simple with some encouraging messages to player. So i put whatever was playing while i was making the game because game was too quiet.
Sure, i am technically not right, but i feel really sad when i tried to make some people smile and they call me thief. Please don't. It's not like i was aiming to any ranks or claimed that music was mine. Just wanted to have fun and make someone smile.

Mightyjor

Regarding "Persona 5" music in my game - i am no composer and yes, i am completly aware of royalty free music and that this one is copyrighter, i said so in description of my entry, that i used Persona 5 track. I am completly fine with being disqualified cuz i don't really care - i had a lot of fun during that one hour making game and hope someone had fun playing my game. Enough for me.
Originally i wanted to skip jam entirely because it's hard to find time and energy to make jam game when you make game 8 hours a day 5 days a week already.
But at last moment i was like "Nah" and did something stoopid and simple with some encouraging messages to player. So i put whatever was playing while i was making the game because game was too quiet.
Sure, i am technically not right, but i feel really sad when i tried to make some people smile and they call me thief. Please don't. It's not like i was aiming to any ranks or claimed that music was mine. Just wanted to have fun and make someone smile.
I think as long as you disclose that you’re using someone else’s music it shouldn’t matter, right? That way we can judge the things that belong to you. If it’s against the rules then I think it’s fair to be disqualified, but that’s something you decide before submission so it should be fine

Last edited:

Mr Magnus

Viking King
My current best time for Horse is 3:08, who can beat me

EDIT: I measure from first input to appearance of the HARS SAVED popup, category is glitchless any%
I like this, can we start speedrunning GMC games for fun?

speedrun.PNG

It got a bit dicey there in the end, I almost ran out of time when I couldn't make it over the last rock to get in to the pool, but I made it eventually.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I dont like the fact that the game uses copyrighted assets but in your defense you did put it in the description of the game
I feel like you should make or have permission to use the assets for a jam entry. But I think that many including me have had a slight over reaction to it, so I've reorganized my votes.
Im all for the idea that games are made to provide enjoyment and make people smile, so it would be wrong of me to over critique your use of a banger song, lmao

Well, I had FL Studio open (but minimized) while playing, and when your game did the fake BSOD, it maximized FL and screwed up my layout inside it, smh... I blame Image-Line (makers of FL) for that though, not you or your game.
Ah dude, I feel so bad about that lmao, I hope it didnt cause too much of an issue

TehPilot

My votes and my own top 3 reviews are in.

The full gamut of feedback is taking a little longer (both me and Wave were busy); I've added a link to our full review document but I won't make it public until we're ready with it - nevertheless it'll be there in perpetuity once it's been made public. Feel free to reach out via PM if you'd like our final opinion right away.

Mr Magnus

Viking King
Music doesn't fit
Au Contraire: Beethovens Piano Sonata 8, Sonata Pathétique, is a perfect choice for a game named Pathétique!

Now that voting has closed - A whole lot of you are a lot kinder than you by any right should be: I'm still very much suspicious of the five people who put Pathétique above the 50% line. 🧐

Thank you for every single one of you who made any sort of comment on my game. I was expecting a lot more "This controls as smooth as butter that's been sitting on the counter since last Christmas". It's been a real blast. Let's hope next time I'll manage to have time to actually create something not rushed to all kingdom come. Maybe by then I'll actually have knocked off the few years worth of Game Maker rust I've built up since I've last made a proper game in it.

I don't know if this is just a Christmas spirit sneaking in or if I'll vanish come new years, but I'm quite glad to be back here, I'd honestly missed this sort of specialized forum with regulars you get to know.

Apologies to anyone that played my game. Spent half my jam time on the horrible paint art (as a few put it). I'm not an artist. The other half of the jam mixed between the prototype and a rewrite to the new (bad) graphical style and re-testing everything way too many times. The grating music was recorded in front of a live studio audience, of whom all are now deceased. Yes, it was bad, not sure what led to that being the final mix.

Anyways, I agree with all the criticism and feedback. Thought about releasing a "post-jam" version after voting was over, but I think I'll let that idea die. :banana:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Re: stealing borrowing copyrighted music, the safest option would be to record your own cover (just sing the lyrics, maybe check on VGMusic / Youtube if there's a MIDI version of it to use as a custom backing track, but a capellla works just fine)... people will recognize the song, you won't get into trouble with automated DMCA asset detectors, you're spending more time making the sound asset so you're not gaining an unfair advantage, and it's more in spirit of the jam anyway. Heck, even if you can't sing, it gets more personal and genuine this way.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Re: stealing borrowing copyrighted music, the safest option would be to record your own cover (just sing the lyrics, maybe check on VGMusic / Youtube if there's a MIDI version of it to use as a custom backing track, but a capellla works just fine)... people will recognize the song, you won't get into trouble with automated DMCA asset detectors, you're spending more time making the sound asset so you're not gaining an unfair advantage, and it's more in spirit of the jam anyway. Heck, even if you can't sing, it gets more personal and genuine this way.
I dont know what song, but theres a evanski cover of some terrible song coming your way next jam

Status
Not open for further replies.