Fonts Not Working

Chris Smith

So, I feel like I'm missing something dumb. I've been away from GMS2 for a while (probably a solid 9 months), and I'm just trying to draw some text to the screen. It works, until I use a font resource that I've created. It just seems to fail to draw, and only works with the default font. No matter what settings I have for the font resource.
Am I just missing something really dumb?
I've tried just making a fresh project and only drawing text, and it's giving me the exact same issue. SO I moved to my desktop PC, and I made a quick 90 second video making a new project and drawing text. Same issue, but you can just see what I'm doing and tell me if I'm being dumb.
Also, yes, everything is updated, Windows/GMS2 etc. using the latest runtime.
I've asked the GameMaker Social FB group, and the reddit, and nobody seems to know what's going on.
Thanks all!

https://youtu.be/KKTYTdfSLAc

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hello! I saw your posts in the GM Facebook group and did some tests myself to see what's up, and - sorry! - I could find no issue and fonts worked fine. Could you do me a favour and check that the font is actually being created on the texture page? Go to the Tools menu and then select the Texture Groups and see if the font is included under the "fonts" contegory for the default texture group. If it IS then run the project using the Debugger, and then pause the game and go to the Graphics > Textures/Surfaces tab of the output window. Click the refresh button for textures (bottom right of the tab) and see if the font is visible at the bottom as a texture (probably "Texture1"). Let us know what you find!

Chris Smith

Hello! I saw your posts in the GM Facebook group and did some tests myself to see what's up, and - sorry! - I could find no issue and fonts worked fine. Could you do me a favour and check that the font is actually being created on the texture page? Go to the Tools menu and then select the Texture Groups and see if the font is included under the "fonts" contegory for the default texture group. If it IS then run the project using the Debugger, and then pause the game and go to the Graphics > Textures/Surfaces tab of the output window. Click the refresh button for textures (bottom right of the tab) and see if the font is visible at the bottom as a texture (probably "Texture1"). Let us know what you find!
Hey, thanks for helpin' out!
I've done what you said. The font is on texture page, so I ran debugger and followed your instructions, and yes Texture1 appears to be there.

1605527349604.png

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Texture 1 appears to be there, but it also appears to be empty? When you refresh and mouse over the "Thumbnail" does it show the font on the texture page? If it doesn't then we now know what the issue is! For some reason GM is not pulling the font from the system to correctly create a texture.

Chris Smith

Texture 1 appears to be there, but it also appears to be empty? When you refresh and mouse over the "Thumbnail" does it show the font on the texture page? If it doesn't then we now know what the issue is! For some reason GM is not pulling the font from the system to correctly create a texture.
Sorry it took me so long to get back. Its just that I barely have time to work on this kind of thing, and it's discouraging when my issues aren't even a mistake that I've made myself. XD
So yes, that appears to be the issue because there's no font on the texture page. Do we know how to fix this or should I submit a bug report and wait for an update?