• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code How to add video to GMS2?

M

Mishel

Не могу добавить видео в GMS 2. Что делать?

Can't add video to GMS 2. What to do ?

rytan451

Alright, here's the alternative: code an extension that implements a video codec. Due to speed considerations, this will likely need to be done in native code for every platform you choose to release to. Then, you'll need to test to make sure it's working properly.

Also, you need to make sure that the video codec you're implementing isn't proprietary. If it is, prepare for lawsuits.

You might be able to use FFmpeg, but it's possible that if you do, you might have to release your game under either GPL or LGPL (meaning that you're obligated to release the source code of the game to anyone who asks you).

I will point out that implementing video codecs is a very difficult task. Doing it in a performant manner is even harder. It would be easier, safer, and cheaper (in terms of opportunity cost) to buy the extension on the marketplace.

M

Mishel

Alright, here's the alternative: code an extension that implements a video codec. Due to speed considerations, this will likely need to be done in native code for every platform you choose to release to. Then, you'll need to test to make sure it's working properly.

Also, you need to make sure that the video codec you're implementing isn't proprietary. If it is, prepare for lawsuits.

You might be able to use FFmpeg, but it's possible that if you do, you might have to release your game under either GPL or LGPL (meaning that you're obligated to release the source code of the game to anyone who asks you).

I will point out that implementing video codecs is a very difficult task. Doing it in a performant manner is even harder. It would be easier, safer, and cheaper (in terms of opportunity cost) to buy the extension on the marketplace.
The ruble does not think so. In general, I am doing a project for the institute.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
This is an English community. Please post in English. Google Translate was unable to properly translate what you wrote, so I unfortunately can't help you.