HTML5 Universal Thief - a game where you can STEAL EVERYTHING

universal_thief_header.png

Itch: https://adriendittrick.itch.io/universal-thief
Newgrounds: https://gamejolt.com/games/jamquest1/272688
Gamejolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/jamquest1/272688

What is this?

Universal Thief was made in only 48 hours for the GMTK game jam 2020, and got 27th place!
The theme was "Out of control", so I made a game where the main character has a simple stealing mechanic but where you can steal metaphysical concepts and identities. The game's numbers and setting spiral out of control through 5 different phases:
  • Office life
  • City life
  • Political life
  • Space life
  • ???
Controls:
  • WASD/IJKL/arrow keys: move
  • Spacebar/shift/X/left click: interact
  • R / escape: restart level (very important)
  • F4: fullscreen (windows only)
  • In battle, use the mouse to select actions.
Gameplay:

This is a hybrid between a puzzle game and an RPG. It has similar mechanics to a simple turn by turn RPG, with the main mechanic being that you can steal the enemy's move/HP/identity. However, you should approach it like a puzzle game, because you must figure out the best battle order to maximize your stats and abilities.

Ressources:

All coding and art were made during the allocated jam time, the music was composed before the jam, as allowed.
thief2.png
thief6.png
thief9.png

S

Sam (Deleted User)

You know for someone who talks about bad games a lot your games are not bad. This one looks interesting like most work I've seen from you. It really boggles my mind how quickly these game jammers can produce such content.

D

Deleted member 45063

Played it yesterday, and I have to say I really enjoyed the concept! I do think that the second half of the game needs something more to it (some balancing, some more strategy, etc) but I loved the fact that you could steal anything from an enemy. I just disliked that you are forced to assume some identities for parts of the game. If the goal is to be able to steal any identity then I should be able to finish the game as a coffee machine.

Played it yesterday, and I have to say I really enjoyed the concept! I do think that the second half of the game needs something more to it (some balancing, some more strategy, etc) but I loved the fact that you could steal anything from an enemy. I just disliked that you are forced to assume some identities for parts of the game. If the goal is to be able to steal any identity then I should be able to finish the game as a coffee machine.
Actually you CAN more or less finish the game (as in beat the final boss) as a coffee machine, because you can steal the identity of a coffee machine in the very last room!

D

Deleted member 45063

Actually you CAN more or less finish the game (as in beat the final boss) as a coffee machine, because you can steal the identity of a coffee machine in the very last room!
Hmm, I'll have to play it again then!

D

Deleted member 45063

Ok, I have to admit the final battle is.... annoying, to say the least. First time I got there, sure, I just didn't have the correct move set. Ok, lesson learned, let's acquire the two critical moves then so that first of all I can actually survive a move, second of all I can kill anything in two strikes. Still died, because unless I missed any move equivalent to the one The Almighty uses then the last battle relies purely on luck. And while I really like the rest of the concept, if that is the case then it is a big minus point from me.

Ok, I have to admit the final battle is.... annoying, to say the least. First time I got there, sure, I just didn't have the correct move set. Ok, lesson learned, let's acquire the two critical moves then so that first of all I can actually survive a move, second of all I can kill anything in two strikes. Still died, because unless I missed any move equivalent to the one The Almighty uses then the last battle relies purely on luck. And while I really like the rest of the concept, if that is the case then it is a big minus point from me.
this has been fixed in v1.1 :)

Enemy moves are now highlighted,so the fight is no longer luck reliant.

Impressive jam game. You did the art too??
The art is from Shinlalala and you can see some of it here: <LINK REMOVED> (NSFW account, beware)

MOD EDIT: Link has been removed due to the rather explicit nature of the account it links to. If people are interested they can do a Google or Twitter search. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Toxikat

I have no idea how you guys put together games that fast... This looks amazing for only 48 hours! 😄

I have no idea how you guys put together games that fast... This looks amazing for only 48 hours! 😄
it was actually quite easy to iterate on, every mobile object in the game behaves roughly the same way, and so has the same code, only with different sprites, HP, and attack objects. Most attack objects boil down to "if condition x is met, deal y damage" so it was really fast to code!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

it was actually quite easy to iterate on, every mobile object in the game behaves roughly the same way, and so has the same code, only with different sprites, HP, and attack objects. Most attack objects boil down to "if condition x is met, deal y damage" so it was really fast to code!
You make it sound really simple but somehow I think if I were to make a game like this I wouldnt do it near as efficiently. It's easy to overcomplicate things in gamedev, or with programming in general. I'm glad it was easy for you, though, it inspires me to try more.