I do not like this future :/

duran can

I can create hundreds of scripts, sprites and objects a day for various projects. It hurts to choose the type of thing to create each time. Can't auto create objects if I'm in objects folder?

I wonder why did this feature come about? What is the purpose of use?

D

Deleted member 13992

Because folders are only "objects" folders by name only now, it's not hard-coded. Which makes things much more flexible for us as developers. We can organize our files how we want now.

For example now I'm rearranging my project to have character sprites and objects in the same parent folder, under their own subfolders (or not, because I can choose). I can also have scripts specific to a certain class of objects to be in the same parent folder as the objects. Makes finding things so much easier!

I'd rather not return to a version of GMS with less flexibility in how I organize my things.

I guess this just goes to show that you can't please everyone, since people will have strong opinions one way or another.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I agree that it is much better now with us being able to put things in whatever folder structure we want to. Its great for people making assets too because we can put all of our stuff for assets in a single folder instead of having them thrown around all over.

There is a shortcut to creating things though. If you want to create an object, you can just right click on an existing object and just under the "create" spot there is a create Object line. This applies to all the other resources as well, so if you have things organized similar to the old way, there will be an equal asset right next to where you want to put the new one.

Z

zendraw

id assume duplicating an asset creates ana sset of the same type, tbh alot of the time i duplicate resourses rather the make new becouse of the hassle.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
There's two ways you can speed this up:
  • Right-clicking on an existing asset has a "add <type>" option which creates a new asset of the same type in the same folder.
  • Clicking the plus symbol at the top of the asset browser lets you batch-create several assets of the same type. Especially useful if you want a bunch of placeholders you're gonna fill out with imported data.
I do wish it'd be possible to sort the asset type list by significance (e.g. the old order) instead of alphabetically, though...

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@TsukaYuriko I think what Yal meant was being able to sort the asset types in the asset creation dropdown.
So that e.g. when you create a new asset, you don't have an "Animation Curve" then "Extension", but something more universal and likely to be used such as Script/Object/Room/Sprite and such.

I'd totally like to be able to customise the assets order myself, e.g. in GM preferences. Right now, the elementary resources are hidden between things like Animation Curves or Paths or Sequences, which I don't really use at the moment (and even if I did, it wouldn't be *that* often)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
@TsukaYuriko I think what Yal meant was being able to sort the asset types in the asset creation dropdown.
So that e.g. when you create a new asset, you don't have an "Animation Curve" then "Extension", but something more universal and likely to be used such as Script/Object/Room/Sprite and such.

I'd totally like to be able to customise the assets order myself, e.g. in GM preferences. Right now, the elementary resources are hidden between things like Animation Curves or Paths or Sequences, which I don't really use at the moment (and even if I did, it wouldn't be *that* often)
Yeah, that's correct: I mean the old order Sprites, Tile Sets, Sounds, Everything Else, Objects, Rooms. (I honestly don't remember where the other things were in the list since I use them so rarely). Basically, the asset types you use the most would be at the edges of the "create asset" list where they're easy to find, instead of being somewhere in the middle where you need to actually spend effort looking for them (where they end up when sorted alphabetically).