Graphics Hand Drawn Art Question

S

sonnyjune

I would really like to be able to hand draw my assets, digitize them into illustrator or inkscape, and use them for sprites in my game.

Yet when I use those files and save them as PNG's like the creators of Crashlands or Hollow Knight did, my sprites end up losing a ton of quality and look pixelated when scaling.

Does anybody have a sure method to maintain quality of hand drawn assets as PNG's, or are vector graphics the only other option? Thanks

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Save the sprites in the largest possible size you'd ever use, and then scale them down with code to their default size. Now when you scale them up, you don't need to extrapolate information (which is what causes the crustiness) but you'll use pixels that were there all along, just not shown because of the smaller size.

S

sonnyjune

Save the sprites in the largest possible size you'd ever use, and then scale them down with code to their default size. Now when you scale them up, you don't need to extrapolate information (which is what causes the crustiness) but you'll use pixels that were there all along, just not shown because of the smaller size.
Awesome, thank you!

Are there any critical functions or lines of code I should be aware about to maximize quality?

My sprites are hand drawn cartoony characters and most of the detail was drawn with ink.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Are there any critical functions or lines of code I should be aware about to maximize quality?
The basics really are image_xscale and image_yscale to stretch them. Also, you can turn texture interpolation on and off anytime you want (including turning it on/off for just a single sprite and then resetting it afterwards) so you might want to play around with that. Drawing a sprite with interpolation turned on will make it look smoother but also blurrier, so whether something looks better or not with interpolation is on a case-to-case basis.

S

sonnyjune

The basics really are image_xscale and image_yscale to stretch them. Also, you can turn texture interpolation on and off anytime you want (including turning it on/off for just a single sprite and then resetting it afterwards) so you might want to play around with that. Drawing a sprite with interpolation turned on will make it look smoother but also blurrier, so whether something looks better or not with interpolation is on a case-to-case basis.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!