Distribution YouTuber Preview Advice

mar_cuz

Hi Guys,

I have been contacted by a YouTuber to preview my game before release. I'm wondering if there is any advice out there I should need to know when doing that sort of thing? I haven't committed to anything yet we are still talking.

Thanks,

otterZ

Short answer:
Sounds great, why not, if they are interested in your game, that's great.

Long answer:
Just from experience, after providing 100 keys on Steam for a game launch to curators - 1 out of 100 curators actually reviewed my game and put out a video - the rest didn't do anything or sold the keys, but that's okay as maybe my game wasn't a hit with curators, or it wasn't what people want, or my game was my vision but not everyone's vision. That's perfectly okay if that was the case.

On the flip side . . . The warning sign is when a social media video creator asks for multiple keys of your game. As in, please could we have 3 keys for your game, and then, "Oh, also we have others interested . . . please could you provide another 3 keys for . . . and so on"

Was it worth it that 1 out of 100 curators actually did anything ? To promote the game - yes, as a handful of people were interested/ and are still interested in giving me some much needed great feedback on how to improve my game/app in early access. I was just looking to seek out players who would be interested in helping to make a game that players wanted.

If you are talking to the YouTuber personally who reached out to you and your game fits their content I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Heck, even if it went sideways you wouldn't lose anything (unless you gave out 100 keys lol), so I think give it a chance - find out what they want to give their audience and see if you can provide something of value to that audience.

Last edited:

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Hi Guys,

I have been contacted by a YouTuber to preview my game before release. I'm wondering if there is any advice out there I should need to know when doing that sort of thing? I haven't committed to anything yet we are still talking.

Thanks,
A good first step (that OtterZ forgot to bring up in their good "be skeptical" post) would be to check their channel and make sure they're actually doing previews of games... if they're not, they might just be systematically fishing for keys. Usually the balance is in the other direction: anyone can find popular games for cheap views, and developers are desperate to find someone that'll actually play their games.

mar_cuz

Short answer:
Sounds great, why not, if they are interested in your game, that's great.

Long answer:
Just from experience, after providing 100 keys on Steam for a game launch to curators - 1 out of 100 curators actually reviewed my game and put out a video - the rest didn't do anything or sold the keys, but that's okay as maybe my game wasn't a hit with curators, or it wasn't what people want, or my game was my vision but not everyone's vision. That's perfectly okay if that was the case.

On the flip side . . . The warning sign is when a social media video creator asks for multiple keys of your game. As in, please could we have 3 keys for your game, and then, "Oh, also we have others interested . . . please could you provide another 3 keys for . . . and so on"

Was it worth it that 1 out of 100 curators actually did anything ? To promote the game - yes, as a handful of people were interested/ and are still interested in giving me some much needed great feedback on how to improve my game/app in early access. I was just looking to seek out players who would be interested in helping to make a game that players wanted.

If you are talking to the YouTuber personally who reached out to you and your game fits their content I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Heck, even if it went sideways you wouldn't lose anything (unless you gave out 100 keys lol), so I think give it a chance - find out what they want to give their audience and see if you can provide something of value to that audience.
A good first step (that OtterZ forgot to bring up in their good "be skeptical" post) would be to check their channel and make sure they're actually doing previews of games... if they're not, they might just be systematically fishing for keys. Usually the balance is in the other direction: anyone can find popular games for cheap views, and developers are desperate to find someone that'll actually play their games.
Hey guys thanks for your input. Some great points and definitely has helped with some food for thought.

Thanks again