• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Making textures

T

Two_kings_Games

Hello everyone. Been having a hard time finding tutorials on creating textures for a game, even the tutorials and practice work I'm doing doesn't really go into it. I'm going for something with a Paper Mario look for it. A combination of 2d and 3d objects with a cartoon type of texture on it. Wondering If I can accomplish this in "krita" . thank you very much for your help

Retro Mario Original.pngRetro Mario Paper Paint.Net.png
Just a sample I tried using an old Icon I had and using Paint.net. Usually, a cartoonish style will have a thicker border as you can see here in a classic cartoon.
Garfield-01.jpg

It gave a little harder look because of the pixelated Mario so adding borders is not easy to do cleanly without doing manual edits. I don't use Krita, although it sure is a good app. I'm a hard core Paint.Net fan and it serves me very well once you've learned a few basic tricks with layers and layer types.

But I'd start with that, your characters and other elements need cleanly visible outlines and usually very straight colors with little gradients. Cartoons are cartoons because they have little gradients in them. In my Mario case, the face has too many colors, and of course, too pixely but with a proper cloud render, multiplied over all the lower layers and reducing the opacity, I think it gives a pretty good paper style. This was done within 2 minutes so I did not go into very big details and fine tuning. I just thought you could have a little idea of what can be achieved with simple effects and free tools.

I'm sure other people may have good comments also for your case.

I hope this helps a bit.

T

Two_kings_Games

View attachment 34653View attachment 34654
Just a sample I tried using an old Icon I had and using Paint.net. Usually, a cartoonish style will have a thicker border as you can see here in a classic cartoon.
View attachment 34655

It gave a little harder look because of the pixelated Mario so adding borders is not easy to do cleanly without doing manual edits. I don't use Krita, although it sure is a good app. I'm a hard core Paint.Net fan and it serves me very well once you've learned a few basic tricks with layers and layer types.

But I'd start with that, your characters and other elements need cleanly visible outlines and usually very straight colors with little gradients. Cartoons are cartoons because they have little gradients in them. In my Mario case, the face has too many colors, and of course, too pixely but with a proper cloud render, multiplied over all the lower layers and reducing the opacity, I think it gives a pretty good paper style. This was done within 2 minutes so I did not go into very big details and fine tuning. I just thought you could have a little idea of what can be achieved with simple effects and free tools.

I'm sure other people may have good comments also for your case.

I hope this helps a bit.
Yes this actually helps a lot thank you very much. I did draw one thing some months ago and actually had the look I wanted. Been learning to draw since then and made a lot of progress, so now it's up to me to make characters and stuff like that. Also yeah one thing I really had an issue with doing was adding a even black boarder for it. But I'll experiment with it. But I guess this is more what Im talking about.

You see how on the first one the buildings ,trees, and the piece of wooden gate are 3d objects with a cartoon like texture. On the second one the same thing right and the ground. But I think with your "gradient" explanation I can understand better on how to get those effects I want. But what I want to know is how to make tile sets to texture the objects.

For instance if I make a simple wall in blender and then i use a tile I made to texture it to look like a building you see in the photos below. I'll start experimenting with something simple and let you know what I find. but hopefully I'll hear from you. Also once again thank you and I hope my questions make sense.

Attachments