10 years later I'm back! ...what did I miss?

I

iAnzenGenki

It's been a long while. I remember years ago watching a documentary on the history of game design and I fell in love. I was frantic in searching for a way to dive into it all, and then I found GM 4.0. Worked with it till 7.0 and the YoYo days started up. Last I knew I had a few projects I was working on, probably a few hundred hours in GM as a whole. I was in and out of the old forums trying to get better at GML and game design...and then my cpu died...everything was wiped, no backups. I never came back until now. Just like when I started in 4.0, I have a head full of ideas but no clue how to implement them. I am reading up on the latest changes, the room editor has absolutely blown me away, and now shaders and a built in physics engine! It is truly amazing how far it's come. I'm lost but I know that this community is great at helping others along the way. Now, back to creating a bunch of projects and trying to decide which one to work on while bashing myself into the very solid but easy-to-code wall of learning...was it a good choice to come back? Mehhhh 😬:bash:

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Ellis

I'm sure you'll be really glad to know about the new editions\additions to gml, I am in love with it, I've lost all interest in 1.4, I've moved on to a younger model *cringe*

You seem like your mind's in the right place anyway, that's the most important thing.

If I was you, I'd make about 150 test projects of various things, then decide what you're actually gonna do :D !!! Good luck I wish you all the best on your new journey!

HayManMarc

welcome back! 10 years is a long time to let ideas boil around in your head. Haha

Good luck with getting reacquainted. Might as well start with the most recent version available ---- 2.3.

You did not miss much asside from the fact that governments are encouraging people to create games because of the COVID-19 program (Creators Of the Videogame Industry Deployment 2019 program). Oh! And Game Maker switched colors from red to green because an ex-XBOX person chose to work for Game Maker Studio. He was used to green so he switched the whole thing to a greener interface. It's healthier for the environement. And I gained a few pounds since then. I think that sums it up! Welcome back!!!

I

iAnzenGenki

welcome back! 10 years is a long time to let ideas boil around in your head. Haha

Good luck with getting reacquainted. Might as well start with the most recent version available ---- 2.3.
OH yea...where did I get 4.0 from...well there was a 4 in there somewhere...it was ancient, that's all I remember 🀣

HayManMarc

OH yea...where did I get 4.0 from...well there was a 4 in there somewhere...it was ancient, that's all I remember 🀣
Oh, you were right. I'm referring to now... GMS2.2.3. Before GMS2 was GMS1. Before that was GM 8.1 (and going back to the 4.0 you mentioned, and beyond).

Game Maker has changed a LOT. :)

Rafael_Lima

It was 4.0 indeed. I also started with it, back in... 2002. Still have the first game I made with it, still hosted on my own homepage, though it barely works on Windows 10.

After GM8.1 they released Game Maker Studio (GMS), and then numbering got back to 1. We are now at GMS2.3 :D

Kyon

I also came back from a 10 year break (a while ago) and it was a very good decision.
Using all that skill I learned as a kid (GM5, 6, 7 & 8 in my case) and actually doing some commercial projects.
Only now seeing how useful working on games like "Dirkels" and "Skipper" back in the day was. Also how special the time on that old forum really was.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Well I havent been around the block for a while but I can say that in the 3ish years of me being around I can sum it up like this,
@Nocturne is doing great as always and his spelings are getting better,
@TsukaYuriko is my meme consultant about the proper ethics about Personal Messaging
@Cantavanda has captivated our hearts with there insights as well as the lil'tay era!
@matharoo is an udmey instructor and a resident of space
@RichHopefulComposer is painting and making a cool retro looking game with bikini mermaids
@HayManMarc made this really cool infinite Train runner
@RefresherTowel is making a really epic looking space shooter
Oh yeah @Nocturne Made the forum look like 2011 Microsoft paint after you find the gradient tool but the cheap vapor wave hits just right πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ
@Sybok is making his own GPU and thats awesome!
@FoxyOfJungle is our hero that defeated the bracket folding and his platformer engine is looking sweet
@BattleRifle BR55 Still captivates us with videos and pics πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ
@Misu Had a spooky discord dungeon then nuked it and Idk what happened after that, he didnt invite me to his new clubhouse and I's sad
@Samuel Venable is the master of Linux and is doing awesome things with that OS
@Kezarus is my personal fan and likes everything I post ;)

GMS 2.3 is out and destroyed everyones everything, but the avatar came and is cleaning up the mess eventually,
The GMC jam 38 is now over but you can still vote until the 14th
Shaun spaldings tutorial are a controversial suggestion
The world governments are still weird
Theres this new taco bell thing called Covid but I havent heard great things about it
The president's wifu is princess peach
this Eleen moose dude sent a car to space and then people to space and wants to recreate the martian movie
HEy that martian movie came out, its pretty good! Should go see it!
There's this raccoon typing on my keyboard.

And thats the entire history of the forum I guess at least what I can grasp at :p
lmao let me know if i missed anybody
You're all awesome! <3

Last edited:

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
@Kezarus is my personal fan and likes everything I post ;)
Not my fault if you make likeable posts. :p

I also made a free toolbox to help others (and I just can't shut up about it) with the help of amazing people like @matharoo, @Samuel Venable, @FrostyCat and many more, all credited. If you need any functionalities below, check it out: Marketplace.
  • 9-slice code (tiled and streched)
  • Useful codes like wave(), chance(), alert(), string_split(), etc
  • GUI panels, buttons, sliders
  • GUI input text with select, copy/paste functionality
  • Dialog box with typewriter effect
  • Pause effect
  • Modal dialog (pauses the game and ask a question)
  • Content scrollable panel for text and objects
  • Simple Options menu
  • Initial INI file system that already load sound preferences
  • Screen shake
  • A Particles Lab where you can create your particles, export GM code and import from GM code
  • A Language Support for Latin, Cyrillic, Japanese and Chinese characters
  • A Rebindable Key easy to use for keyboard, mouse and gamepad
Here is a complete documentation.

Welcome back! =]

I

iAnzenGenki

It's a shame we lost the old GMC. I'll always be wondering if that guy that waited 8 years ever got his recolored sprites...
We may never know. Also silly me thought I could pixelate 8 directional top down sprites. Lets say I knocked that back down to 4 real quick.
EDIT: @Yal I love your avi!!! <33

Last edited by a moderator: