• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GMS2 (WIN) can´t connect with my MacBook (via GMS2s device detection)

Hello everybody,

I´m working on publishing my game app on App Store, too.
But as the headline already says: Game Maker Studio 2 cannot detect my MacBookPro.

Following conditions are given:

- Gamemaker Studio 2 runs on my PC (WINDOWS 10 Pro)
- MacBook Pro is running Catalina 10.15.6
- Both terminals are connected via ethernet (PC ... Ethernet Cable ... Icy Box Multiple Adapter ... USB3 ... Mac (network is checked and active))
- XCode 11.7 is installed on mac (I hooked "suppress build and run" under preferences (iOS)
- On GMS2: Target > iOS > Device > Clicking pen-symbol > no automatic detection of any mac device
... I tried over macOS to setup manually... with name, hostname, Username and Password of my mac

OK.

When I press "check connection" (imac-section of GMS2/device), GMS2 says:
"Connection to hostname failed!"

Has anybody some help for me to solve that problem?
Thank you,

Archie.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Have you checked the section in the guide for setting up the connection between PC and Mac?

You haven't given many details but it sounds like you might have not allowed Remote Login and Filesharing on the Mac side.
Also turn off all firewalls to rule them out.

Have you checked the section in the guide for setting up the connection between PC and Mac?

You haven't given many details but it sounds like you might have not allowed Remote Login and Filesharing on the Mac side.
Also turn off all firewalls to rule them out.
Hi rlKmAN,

thank you for your respond.
Sorry I didn´t mention that I already toggled the rights and distant administration to read/write to administrator and all users of network, even switched
off the firewall. That´s why I´mconfused about the lasting problems.

But... what do YOU think about System Preferences > Security > Private Policy > operating help > AEServer
?

Could it help to set a hook on it?
Best wishes,

Archie.

OK. So far so good:

I succeeded to get a pleasing connecton between my Mac and my PC.
That means: I can detect several iOS-device-images in the device-list (Target) for iOS.
I can start via ethernet-cable a device simulation on my mac desktop. I remarked that
GMS2 SOMETIMES connect the PC with the mac. In that case I´ve got to try it several
times to detectthe iOS-device - but once detected, it works for the time the GMS2-session
isn´t interrupted. Restarting GMS2 means a new device detection is neccessary.

OK.

After starting an simulated device on mac (over GMS2 (start simulation)). What is up
next to bring my game as a test onto the simulated device on mac desktop?

Thankful for any kind of help.
Best wishes,

Archie.

rIKmAN

OK. So far so good:

I succeeded to get a pleasing connecton between my Mac and my PC.
That means: I can detect several iOS-device-images in the device-list (Target) for iOS.
I can start via ethernet-cable a device simulation on my mac desktop. I remarked that
GMS2 SOMETIMES connect the PC with the mac. In that case I´ve got to try it several
times to detectthe iOS-device - but once detected, it works for the time the GMS2-session
isn´t interrupted. Restarting GMS2 means a new device detection is neccessary.

OK.

After starting an simulated device on mac (over GMS2 (start simulation)). What is up
next to bring my game as a test onto the simulated device on mac desktop?

Thankful for any kind of help.
Best wishes,

Archie.
Glad you got the connection working.

I can't help with anything simulator related as I've only ever used physical devices, so maybe someone else who has used them can chime in and advise you with rergards to those. There are some details in this article about using the simulator which may help.

From what I remember though, once you have the xCode project open on the Mac it should be as simple as choosing the simulator device as the target in the dropdown list at the top to have it run on the selected simulator.

I can't help with anything simulator related as I've only ever used physical devices, so maybe someone else who has used them can chime in and advise you with rergards to those. There are some details in this article about using the simulator which may help.

From what I remember though, once you have the xCode project open on the Mac it should be as simple as choosing the simulator device as the target in the dropdown list at the top to have it run on the selected simulator.
Hi rIKmAN,

oh okay. I know externally triggered simulators (from GMS2 f.e.) are not reliable. I bought an expensive mac unit as a physical unit.
I´d like to avoid using a simulator like previously explained. I already have installed xCode on the mac. Now... maybe you could help me with a little
problem!?

After my PC (GMS2) detected the mac unit via ethernet, I prepared my game on GMS2 in the preferences aso. as recommended by YoYo-Games.
Then I try to make an executable data, but the output-ticker says, that the export has failed...

Because of being able to connect with the remote client, but requested data cannot be found.
cut~/.ssh/autorized_keys

Further info:
System.Exception: Error running command´mkdir ... (blahblahblahsomethingblah)... exitcode = 1

I have no idea, what the problem is. I guess I make something wrong to connect the running export of my game in connection with xCode.
Or what do YOU think? That´s the first time I try to compile a game from PC to iOS. *GASP*
Thank you for coming help.

best wishes,
Archie.

HAH! Wait! Now I´ve figured out, that with running the export-procedure in GMS2, xCode automatically starts up with receiving
datas from PC over ethernet. OK. A further step is done. Now...xCode and GMS2 tell me the package program completion was a failure.
xCode tells me in the trouble shooter about maaaany many problems like stale images, missing start-image (why ever, it is integrated) and unable to read something... I´m heavily smashed down about so many things must be solved.

Do you know a good instruction for solving probems like these on GMS2 and/or xCode?

Best wishes,
Archie.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Just to clarify, have you attempted the follow the official setup guide?

Also if you have a Mac, are you aware that you can also use the GMS2 Mac IDE directly in the Mac without having to export to it via PC?

Just to clarify, have you attempted the follow the official setup guide?

Also if you have a Mac, are you aware that you can also use the GMS2 Mac IDE directly in the Mac without having to export to it via PC?
Yes I followed everything... as far as I can see. I bought GMS2 as a Windows-Version. To use GMS2 on Mac I must buy another license for it.

rIKmAN

Yes I followed everything... as far as I can see. I bought GMS2 as a Windows-Version. To use GMS2 on Mac I must buy another license for it.
Ah, did you buy a Creators licence?

I'm a little confused as previously you mentioned the simulator, then afterwards said you aren't using the simulator so I'm not sure why you brought it up or mentioned it not working.

Can you explain what exactly the issue is now at this point?

Ah, did you buy a Creators licence?

I'm a little confused as previously you mentioned the simulator, then afterwards said you aren't using the simulator so I'm not sure why you brought it up or mentioned it not working.

Can you explain what exactly the issue is now at this point?
Good morning rIKmAN,

yes I´ve got the creators permanent license for windows (+ mobile-development (costs 199 U$)).
But does that IDE work on mac? As I can recognize on yoyo-games page a mac-version is available, but just
for creators and just for one year.

Let´s say: I buy the creators license for mac - could I swap my game.yyp (with all link-files) to the mac, into GMS2?
Could I work with that project without any loss? And could I convert the project to a game from local? Is xCode needed in that case?
And sorry for confusion.

Best wishes,

Archie.

rIKmAN

You’re getting confused, Creators is not a full licence it’s a 12mth licence that expires and requires renewing each year.

If you own a full licence for GMS2 then you are free to use the Windows or Mac IDE as you please.

It’s only if you own a 12mth Creators licence that you can have to pick one or the other,

So it sounds like you have a Mobile licence, in which case you can use both the Windows and Mac IDE, just install them and login with your account details.

On the Mac, xCode is still required to build but you remove the step of having to connect the PC to the Mac as you would obviously already be working on the a Mac.

Your existing projects would work on the Mac IDE, but you should always have backups. There are also some slightly different bugs between versions that may occur.

Give the Mac IDE a go and see how you get on, make sure to follow the installation / setup instructions for the Mac IDE from the YYG website in the "Using the Mac IDE" section.

Last edited:
You’re getting confused, Creators is not a full licence it’s a 12mth licence that expires and requires renewing each year.

If you own a full licence for GMS2 then you are free to use the Windows or Mac IDE as you please.

It’s only if you own a 12mth Creators licence that you can have to pick one or the other,

So it sounds like you have a Mobile licence, in which case you can use both the Windows and Mac IDE, just install them and login with your account details.

On the Mac, xCode is still required to build but you remove the step of having to connect the PC to the Mac as you would obviously already be working on the a Mac.

Your existing projects would work on the Mac IDE, but you should always have backups. There are also some slightly different bugs between versions that may occur.

Give the Mac IDE a go and see how you get on, make sure to follow the j stallatuin and setup instructions for the Mac IDE from the YYG website.
Aaaah... now I see... under Menue/Data is a part that is called "New IDE".

That weekend fortunately doesn't start sadly! 🥳 Thank you! That will help a lot to get into it. Have a nice weekend! 😊

Best wishes!
Archie.

rIKmAN

Aaaah... now I see... under Menue/Data is a part that is called "New IDE".

That weekend fortunately doesn't start sadly! 🥳 Thank you! That will help a lot to get into it. Have a nice weekend! 😊

Best wishes!
Archie.
No, "New IDE" will just open another instance of the IDE on the same platform you are currently using.
You need to download the installer for Mac and install it on the Mac, then login with your existing account details on the Mac.

If you still want to use the PC, try ticking the box in File > Preferences > Platform Settings > iOS which says "Supress Build and run (only create xCode project on macOS)".

This will make GMS just create the xCode project on the Mac, rather than trying to build and run it too.
Once you have the project sent over from the Windows IDE, you can simply open it with xCode yourself and build to whatever devices you have available in the target dropdown in xCode.

Heyo... okay.
I already tried to suppress... my apple (xcode) receives the datas from gms from PC. But there are many errors and warnings. That's why I first try your suggestion of installing gms on the mac and I will see what's next.

Thank you for your patience with me.
Archie

rIKmAN

If you can get the xCode project sent to the Mac from PC then I wouldn’t expect the Mac IDE to generate an error free xCode project from the same GMS2 source.

What errors is xCode reporting?
Sometimes it can look broken but actually build fine as they are just warnings.

Try doing it with a fresh empty room GMS2 project to make sure that the process works from start to end, then once you are sure of that you can start tackling the xCode errors specific to your project.

If you can get the xCode project sent to the Mac from PC then I wouldn’t expect the Mac IDE to generate an error free xCode project from the same GMS2 source.

What errors is xCode reporting?
Sometimes it can look broken but actually build fine as they are just warnings.

Try doing it with a fresh empty room GMS2 project to make sure that the process works from start to end, then once you are sure of that you can start tackling the xCode errors specific to your project.
Hello rIKmAN,

hope you had a nice weekend!?
I followed your advice to install the GMS2 mac IDE on my macBook Pro.
First I opened an empty gamemaker project and I tested it - works!
Then I generated it to xCode - xCode simulated the empty project for different devices - works too!

Finally I opened the .yyp-project of my game, I created on PC. GMS2 mac IDE opened and saved it
without obvious problems, it even had no proplems with the access to the link files. But if I test or
if I try to generate the game project within mac IDE, it doesn´t work!

There are still the same problems xCode told me before, as I transferred the datas over ethernet from
GMS2 (PC) to the macBook Pro. The biggest problem seems to be following report:

- Too many open files (not reported as a failure, obviously more as a remark)
- failed to load Options from /Users/ArchieParchie/.config/GmaeMakerStudio2/grafik_1802977/local_settings.json

Now I have installed the latest mono for mac manually. And now the test within GMS2 mac IDE seems to work,
in spite of the mentioned error reports. I will test the game first within GMS2. Then I go over to make it fit for
xCode...

greetings,
Archie.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Hello rIKmAN,

hope you had a nice weekend!?
I followed your advice to install the GMS2 mac IDE on my macBook Pro.
First I opened an empty gamemaker project and I tested it - works!
Then I generated it to xCode - xCode simulated the empty project for different devices - works too!

Finally I opened the .yyp-project of my game, I created on PC. GMS2 mac IDE opened and saved it
without obvious problems, it even had no proplems with the access to the link files. But if I test or
if I try to generate the game project within mac IDE, it doesn´t work!

There are still the same problems xCode told me before, as I transferred the datas over ethernet from
GMS2 (PC) to the macBook Pro. The biggest problem seems to be following report:

- Too many open files (not reported as a failure, obviously more as a remark)
- failed to load Options from /Users/ArchieParchie/.config/GmaeMakerStudio2/grafik_1802977/local_settings.json

Now I have installed the latest mono for mac manually. And now the test within GMS2 mac IDE seems to work,
in spite of the mentioned error reports. I will test the game first within GMS2. Then I go over to make it fit for
xCode...

greetings,
Archie.
I've always found running directly from the GMS2 IDE to Mac/iOS more hassle than it's worth and just generate the xCode project, then open that directly in xCode on the Mac and setup whatever options are needed before building to the device from there.

See my post a few back about setting the option to supress the running and just build the the xCode project on the Mac, then opening that and see how it goes.

I've always found running directly from the GMS2 IDE to Mac/iOS more hassle than it's worth and just generate the xCode project, then open that directly in xCode on the Mac and setup whatever options are needed before building to the device from there.

See my post a few back about setting the option to supress the running and just build the the xCode project on the Mac, then opening that and see how it goes.
Do you have the link of that concerning post, you mentioned?

rIKmAN

It's just above, 3 of my posts back (post #14 in the thread).
If you still want to use the PC, try ticking the box in File > Preferences > Platform Settings > iOS which says "Supress Build and run (only create xCode project on macOS)".
I assume the same setting should be there for the Mac IDE too and it will just build the xCode project without trying to automatically build/run it from xCode too.
Sounds like you may already have it working though and just need to do a bit of cleanup in xCode.

It's just above, 3 of my posts back (post #14 in the thread).

I assume the same setting should be there for the Mac IDE too and it will just build the xCode project without trying to automatically build/run it from xCode too.
Sounds like you may already have it working though and just need to do a bit of cleanup in xCode.
Hi Rikman,

you`re right with it: There are just few things to be cleaned up within xCode.
Some deprecated facts simply were updated automatically via clicking upon.
But there seem two things left which cannot easily be solved like:

1. OpenGLES is deprecated. Consider migrating to Metal instead.
2. Unable to read property list from file: /Users/archieparchie/Game/iOS/GMS2IOS/Game/Game/Supporting Files/Game-Info.plist: The operation couldn`t be completed.
(XCBUtil.PropertyListCoversionError error 1.)

For working up point 1.: I downloaded from Apple the Metal-material, but I can`t integrate it into xCode,
and beside of this I tried to put Metal.framework manually, into the list of Frameworks, Library and embedded Content (with pushing +)
but nothing changed. Tried to remove OpenGLES framework, but then many errors follow... so I reseted OpenGLES.
No idea how to solve this.

For working up point 2.: Absolutely no idea!

Have you any suggestion to get rif of these problems?

Greetings,Archie.

Last edited: