Development Taking a break...

E

Emberex

If you are working on a game, but it hits a point where you need a short break, but still need the practice. Is it okay to work on a random small game to rest or should you keep pushing through your main game?

pixeltroid

If you are working on a game, but it hits a point where you need a short break, but still need the practice. Is it okay to work on a random small game to rest or should you keep pushing through your main game?
IMO taking a break from a game project by working on a random small game will simply divert your creative energy to a different place. Before you know it the "break" project will become more exciting (mainly due to the freshness of it) and you'll start to lose interest in your original project.

If you want to take a break, just stay away from Gamemaker and take out a notebook and start sketching out ideas for your main game. You could flesh out the story and characters or map out new levels. Do it only for a weekend or so.

Also, don't take too many "breaks". Once you lose momentum on your main project it's difficult to get it back. I know because it happened to me recently.

Mk.2

Making a small game as a break could be beneficial if it mitigates burning out on your main project, yet keeps you in the zone of working on stuff and feeling inspired.

Before you know it the "break" project will become more exciting (mainly due to the freshness of it) and you'll start to lose interest in your original project.
Just join a game jam. Not that you couldn't just continue working on it once it's over, but at least the jam has a set time limit and you can just say "finished" after you submit your project.

Agreed that you don't want to lose momentum on your main project, but I feel like taking breaks is something you do once you realize that's already happening and you need to take your mind off it for a bit so you can come back to it with a fresh perspective.

E

Emberex

IMO taking a break from a game project by working on a random small game will simply divert your creative energy to a different place. Before you know it the "break" project will become more exciting (mainly due to the freshness of it) and you'll start to lose interest in your original project.

If you want to take a break, just stay away from Gamemaker and take out a notebook and start sketching out ideas for your main game. You could flesh out the story and characters or map out new levels. Do it only for a weekend or so.

Also, don't take too many "breaks". Once you lose momentum on your main project it's difficult to get it back. I know because it happened to me recently.
Makes sense. I'm still learning gamemaker and didn't want to stop practicing, but still break from the game. But what you say makes sense, thank you!

E

Emberex

Making a small game as a break could be beneficial if it mitigates burning out on your main project, yet keeps you in the zone of working on stuff and feeling inspired.

Just join a game jam. Not that you couldn't just continue working on it once it's over, but at least the jam has a set time limit and you can just say "finished" after you submit your project.

Agreed that you don't want to lose momentum on your main project, but I feel like taking breaks is something you do once you realize that's already happening and you need to take your mind off it for a bit so you can come back to it with a fresh perspective.
Good idea, only problem is I don't think I know enough to do a game jam.

S

Sybok

I took a break, in maybe 2017/18. Can’t even find the project files for my game now.

It’s ok though, I only spent seven years on it.

E

Emberex

I took a break, in maybe 2017/18. Can’t even find the project files for my game now.

It’s ok though, I only spent seven years on it.
Did you really lose that much from taking a break?
Also, why would you spend 7 years on a game?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
One of the most productive ways you could take a break is to try out new technology in an isolated, small project before you bring it into your main project (so it's easier to just nuke it if things don't work out as planned... and more importantly, it's easier to reuse it later if it's its own thing than if it gets deeply ingrained into your gigantic megaproject!). Game jams is one way to do this kind of side project, but you don't need to wait for the right 3-month slot just to try out a new shader you found on the marketplace. In fact, if you don't work well under heavy stress, game jams probably will be the exact opposite of a nice break 🦈

E

Emberex

One of the most productive ways you could take a break is to try out new technology in an isolated, small project before you bring it into your main project (so it's easier to just nuke it if things don't work out as planned... and more importantly, it's easier to reuse it later if it's its own thing than if it gets deeply ingrained into your gigantic megaproject!). Game jams is one way to do this kind of side project, but you don't need to wait for the right 3-month slot just to try out a new shader you found on the marketplace. In fact, if you don't work well under heavy stress, game jams probably will be the exact opposite of a nice break 🦈
I'm great with stress, never has bothered me too bad, I want to do a game jam but not sure I know enough to do that. I like the idea of doing side coding for the main project, without actually being in it.