Discussion Next Gen Console / PC discussion...

K12gamer

Note: This thread was originally titled: XBOX Series X Gameplay (Using PC Footage)

The next generation of consoles is upon us. And PC tech keeps getting better all the time!
What are your thoughts on the upcoming tech? Does Moore's Law still hold true?

This is the first generation I will probably get both consoles (I may even get a Switch).

I found a few good Youtube videos that approximate what some of the upcoming console games will probably look like.
If the Series X / PS5 versions look as good as the best current PC games....I'll be impressed.

Bright Memory Infinite (PC version) (Coming soon for XBOX series X)

This is a good PS5 graphical demonstration:

Last edited:
I found a few good Youtube videos that approximate what some of the games showcased will probably look like.
These games shown running on PC look really good...and if The Series X versions look even better...then I'm very satisfied.
"""""Gameplay""""" trailers. I don't see much in those that aren't extremely scripted. Expect a decent amount of downgrades. Even besides the fact that downgrades from trailers are all but inevitable, those trailers are running on $4000+ PC hardware that consoles won't be able to rival for at least a decade.

K12gamer

"""""Gameplay""""" trailers. I don't see much in those that aren't extremely scripted. Expect a decent amount of downgrades. Even besides the fact that downgrades from trailers are all but inevitable, those trailers are running on $4000+ PC hardware that consoles won't be able to rival for at least a decade.
I think the new systems will have even better graphics than the PC versions shown above....because some of the footage is over a year old...
One of the games they actually showed gameplay on (Bright Memory)...looks slightly better than the PC version shown.
It might actually look too good...because with all the weather effects...some of the enemies seem a little harder to see.

S

Sybok

These games shown running on PC look really good...and if The Series X versions look even better...then I'm very satisfied.
Not likely. Console hardware always lags behind PC hardware. It's a war the consoles can't win.

woodsmoke

That's a lot of death and blood so far. Not sure if these videos belong here.
That said; Scorn looks interesting artistically even though it's not my genre.

Sony's PS5 conference was today, apparently.

Eww.
1591912747395.png
This legit looks like a bad fan-made render. What even is that ventilation? Consoles out today have enough issues with heat. Putting little vents tucked in the corners is going to kill airflow like it already does with PC cases that do the exact same thing.

Psycho_666

Well, the games looked interesting.
Horizons Zero Down have a sequel (duh)
Spiderman have a sequel (duh)
Gran Turismo have a new instalment
Ratchet and clank looks really interesting
That space lady in a loop horror shooter looked reeeealy interesting
A bunch of cute colorful games that look cute and colorful
and let's not kid ourselves. Demon's Souls remaster won the event. If I suddenly get rich I will buy it for the Demon's Souls remaster and the soon to follow Bloodborne remaster (spoiler, they are making Bloodborne remaster for PS5)...
I do not know what Microsoft have as launch library, but it have to be something really special to overcome Demon's Souls, Horizon and Spiderman...

O.Stogden

Microsoft have Halo, which is all Microsoft ever has.

And all Microsoft games launch on PC now too, so the Xbox is kind of redundant if you own a PC, as it has no exclusives anymore, MS made that clear in the past.

I probably won't be touching the next-gen of consoles, the XSX is pointless for me (as my point above shows) and the PS5 just doesn't have the exclusives to interest me.

If the PS5 gets PS Now support for its games, I'll just wait for its exclusives (pretty much only interested in Spiderman at this point) to get put on PS Now, and then subscribe to that for a little while and stream it to my PC.

woodsmoke

The PS5 on its side looks to me as if the plastic warped because it was left in a car during a hot summers day. So yeah it looks kinda cool. But the black on white is too much contrast for a chill living room. And blue LEDs always look cheap to me.

My favorite games are PC exclusive, so I have on interest in home consoles other than the technical side. And of course the juicy drama!

K12gamer

I like this concept design more than the actual PS5 design (Although I think the real PS5 looks a lot better than the PS5 development kit):

To me...the best game at the show was Ratchet and Clank (maybe because it showed the most "Gameplay")

Microsoft just unveiled the Xbox Series S.

A cheaper, all-digital, and slightly less performant version of the Series X. $299 is an INSANE price that puts even the Switch in the firing range. Having the all-digital console be an separate model rather than the base model is a great idea. More options for the consumer! It really makes a difference compared to how hard Microsoft was going in on digital last gen before Sony put them in their place. I actually really like most of the design as well. It's very much function over form. Plenty of actual ventilation both on the top and the sides (take notes, Sony). The only misstep I feel is making the top vent a different color to the rest of the system. Makes it look kind of like a subwoofer. Although, I guess it does signal to idiots "DON'T PUT STUFF ON TOP OF THIS," so it might be a plus.

The options at various price ranges, coupled with full Xbone backwards compatibility, and the sheer value of Game Pass makes me think Sony is going to have a hard time maintaining their foothold this coming gen.

Last edited:

K12gamer

@nacho_chicken

Looks cool...but probably would look better with a small white X painted in the middle of that huge circular vent.

1599874112063.png 1599874130258.png

Also...the small 512GB SSD has me concerned.
My main concern is how much the 1TB extra storage card is going to cost. It's rumored to be $200.
If that's true...it's a deal killer for me. $89.99 is as high a price I'd be willing to spend for the 1 TB SSD
Also...since Sony's SSD is 2x faster....I wonder how much it will cost.

Between Sony and Microsoft...I think I'll choose whichever console has the cheaper SSDs.

@nacho_chicken

Looks cool...but probably would look better with a small white X painted in the middle of that huge circular vent.

View attachment 34287 View attachment 34288

Also...the small 512GB SSD has me concerned.
My main concern is how much the 1TB extra storage card is going to cost. It's rumored to be $200.
If that's true...it's a deal killer for me. $89.99 is as high a price I'd be willing to spend for the 1 TB SSD
Also...since Sony's SSD is 2x faster....I wonder how much it will cost.

Between Sony and Microsoft...I think I'll choose whichever console has the cheaper SSDs.
$200 sounds about right. Don't expect 1TB under $100 for a loooong while. It's a cutting-edge SSD, not a bargain-bin mechanical drive like they'd been using the previous generation. The newer consoles are using NVMe SSDs internally. Good consumer 1TB NVMe's will run you around $150, and those look like this:
1599891850267.png
There's no plastic shell and none of the stupid-proof protection Seagate is going to be doing with the external expansion. Don't expect Sony's drives to be any cheaper, either. Speaking of Sony, their "2x faster!" hype is all marketing; it won't make an immediately discernible difference in practice. Don't fall for it.

EDIT: LOL according to rumors, Sony's big SSD speed claim is because they're using a PCIe 4.0 SSD instead of 3.0 like the Xbox. If you're wondering what this means in English, it means literally zero noticeable speed improvements in gaming workloads. It'll also carry a hefty price premium. If PS5 external storage also uses a PCIe 4.0 interface, expect prices to be around $50-100 more than the XSX's.

Last edited:
Just want to leave these here.

[On PS5 design] What even is that ventilation? Consoles out today have enough issues with heat. Putting little vents tucked in the corners is going to kill airflow like it already does with PC cases that do the exact same thing.
Most damning point in the video is at 10:08. Components (specifically RAM) running too hot might pose a serious danger over time if your room is warm.

Speaking of Sony, their "2x faster!" hype is all marketing; it won't make an immediately discernible difference in practice. Don't fall for it.

Very important to not get swept up in the hype and wait for reviews and breakdowns. If any of these were make-or-break in your decision on which console to get, you might have made a bad decision otherwise.

...not that you could actually get your hands on one of these with how bad stock has been.

Last edited: