• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

I woke up today and now my game is slow

Man, been a while since I've set foot on here, huh? I've been neglecting this community pretty heavily ever since I settled on itch.io as my new showcasing and project management grounds, but for today, that changes.

My problem is basically...exactly what the title says. I woke up today, and found that my computer had restarted in the middle of the night. Nothing terribly unusual about that, but after booting up Game Maker Studio 1.4, making a few minor tweaks to a level I'd been working on last night, and compiling the game for a test, something..."funny" happened. I almost immediately noticed that the timing and speed of everything was off. The game seemed to be running at around 70% of its normal speed. Regardless of any circumstances, as well; every room, every screen, however packed or empty, was effected by this same unusual torpor. I even created a new room with nothing but the player character and an invisible floor; just as slow as any other part of the game. To completely rule out the possibility that it could be any changes I made, intentionally or otherwise, I downloaded an executable demo build that had worked fine on the day I uploaded it. Sure enough, slow as molasses.

For further testing, I played a few games in my Steam library, as well as a Studio 2 project by one of my friends. Both were absolutely fine, and I can also confirm that my game is running fine for that same friend. It's not a particularly demanding game, either; pixel art, fairly low resolution, an old-school lighting engine based on surfaces and gradient sprites, and simple post-processing shaders to adjust bloom, saturation, and contrast. Even with both the lighting and shaders disabled, the game ran no faster.

I'm barely even looking for solutions at this point, I'd be happy for a few good theories, or even just affirmation that I'm not literally the only person this has ever happened to. My only real guess is that a Windows 10 update screwed me over, somehow, for some reason; but that's obviously not much to go on.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Is it possible your computer restarted after auto updating drivers of some kind or Windows itself via Windows Update?

Make sure yoru GPU drivers especially are up to date, and if they are already the latest then try rolling back to the previous version and checking for any change in performance when you run your game.

Is it possible your computer restarted after auto updating drivers of some kind or Windows itself via Windows Update?

Make sure yoru GPU drivers especially are up to date, and if they are already the latest then try rolling back to the previous version and checking for any change in performance when you run your game.
Okay, weird story:

Through some slightly less specific searching, I found out about the "sleep margin" global game setting. People seem to agree that the default value of 1/ms should always be changed to 10/ms anyway, and doing that...completely fixed everything, no changes to any computer settings required. That begs the question of why I only just now needed to change it, and why only I had any such issue in the first place, but if nothing else, I can at least playtest my game again.

Since I'm still pretty ignorant on the matter though, another question; have I fixed this issue, or is it now going to play at hyper-speed on literally anyone else's machine? To my paltry understanding, it has more to do with frame calculations than actual game speed, but you can never be too safe.

rIKmAN

Nocturne explained the sleep margin in another thread recently which will be helpful, so I’ll link that: