Asset - Project Pseudo 3d - Racing Car Engine

TaleQuest

Hello guys, I created and I'm selling a project for game maker studio 2, for racing games based on retro games similar to Outrun and TopGear, anyone interested in learning or developing a new game using the project as a base, take a look at it in the Yoyo games market. Help an indie developer!

** This engine is based on retro racing games from Super NES and Genesis like Outrun and TopGear, the code is commented and in the future I will implement some new features to the engine. If you want to create a racing game, use this engine as the basis for your project.**

---------------- * **Features** * --------------------

* Car collision system.
* Acceleration and braking system.
* System of curves, ups and downs.
* Car animation system.
* Perspective calculation system.
* Sound system for car engine sound.
* It is possible to edit the route by changing the segment entries in the create event.
* It is possible to use sprites as textures for the track.

***-------------------------------------------------------------------------------***

Follow the link
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/9396/racing-car-engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qoAb2Oh5QI&t=23s

Attachments

Posh Indie

That Guy
I occasionally check the marketplace for assets to support, and as TopGear was one of the few racing games I played as a kid I almost made the purchase.

The reason I chose not to:
  • The "tunnel" in the video
    • It ruined the nostalgia I was feeling (Which would be the reason I would have supported the asset).
    • It looks more like you just decided to take what you already had, spam 200 of them in a row, and try to make it look like an additional feature (With no actual work involved in making it look right which, unfortunately, really shows in this case).
    • It just reads to me as, "I got tired of working on the asset and just wanted to 'call it done'. Let's get it on the marketplace as soon as possible, with as little effort as possible".
What you should probably do:
  • Keep the tunnel as a feature.
  • Make it actually look like the tunnels in the games you have compared your own asset to.
What everyone should do:
  • Stop leveraging direct comparison to successful titles of the past unless you are confident your offering can compete. I typically look into the ones that compare to games I enjoyed when I was younger, and I imagine others do the same. We loved those games, and can (and will) find the flaws.
  • Instead of direct comparison, let people know it was "inspired by" so there is less granular comparison (And more leniency for you).
This is intended as constructive criticism, take that how you want.

Last edited:

TaleQuest

I occasionally check the marketplace for assets to support, and as TopGear was one of the few racing games I played as a kid I almost made the purchase.

The reason I chose not to:
  • The "tunnel" in the video
    • It ruined the nostalgia I was feeling (Which would be the reason I would have supported the asset).
    • It looks more like you just decided to take what you already had, spam 200 of them in a row, and try to make it look like an additional feature (With no actual work involved in making it look right which, unfortunately, really shows in this case).
    • It just reads to me as, "I got tired of working on the asset and just wanted to 'call it done'. Let's get it on the marketplace as soon as possible, with as little effort as possible".
What you should probably do:
  • Keep the tunnel as a feature.
  • Make it actually look like the tunnels in the games you have compared your own asset to.
What everyone should do:
  • Stop leveraging direct comparison to successful titles of the past unless you are confident your offering can compete. I typically look into the ones that compare to games I enjoyed when I was younger, and I imagine others do the same. We loved those games, and can (and will) find the flaws.
  • Instead of direct comparison, let people know it was "inspired by" so there is less granular comparison (And more leniency for you).
This is intended as constructive criticism, take that how you want.

Thank you for the criticism, I am working on improvements in the engine and the part of the tunnel will be improved in the next updates, but as it is an engine to use as a base for other racing games, I think it is part of the challenge of programming to create new features for the engine .

Sorry, but maybe you haven't read that part of my text?

** This engine is based on retro racing games from Super NES and Genesis like Outrun and TopGear, the code is commented and in the future I will implement some new features to the engine. If you want to create a racing game, use this engine as the basis for your project.**

Last edited:

Posh Indie

That Guy
Thank you for the criticism, I am working on improvements in the engine and the part of the tunnel will be improved in the next updates, but as it is an engine to use as a base for other racing games, I think it is part of the challenge of programming to create new features for the engine .

Sorry, but maybe you haven't read that part of my text?

I am not here to build upon your work, unfortunately. I do not intend to use the engine, but I do like to support creators if what they offer is of a certain level of quality (Or appeals to my history!). Unfortunately, due to the previously mentioned criticisms I have to pass at this time.

This is not to say the asset is terrible. It is probably useful to some. Keep building it up, I can definitely see it getting there!