Windows HDMI Slowdown

mar_cuz

Hi guys,

When I run my game through game maker 2.3 yyc or a yyc compiled executable using my pc monitor my game runs perfectly fine at normal speed.

However when I run it using a HDMI cable from my pc to my tv the game runs slower both in gms yyc and a yyc compiled executable. I change nothing but the monitor.

The strange thing is, the debug overlay doesn't show any lag.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

rytan451

What's the resolution of the game running on the TV, as compared to its resolution on the PC? Increasing resolution means that there must be a load more graphics processing needed.

If you have a graphics card, is the monitor plugged into the graphics card? How about the TV? If you're using a different plug, it's possible that when running on the monitor, you've plugged the monitor into the graphics card, while the TV has been plugged into the onboard graphics, leading to much slower rendering.

Is the TV refresh rate different from the game's refresh rate? Is it different from the monitor's refresh rate?

By "runs slower", do you mean that FPS is reduced, or the input latency (between clicking and the TV showing the results of the action) is reduced? TVs have a higher input latency in comparison to computer monitors.

mar_cuz

What's the resolution of the game running on the TV, as compared to its resolution on the PC? Increasing resolution means that there must be a load more graphics processing needed.

If you have a graphics card, is the monitor plugged into the graphics card? How about the TV? If you're using a different plug, it's possible that when running on the monitor, you've plugged the monitor into the graphics card, while the TV has been plugged into the onboard graphics, leading to much slower rendering.

Is the TV refresh rate different from the game's refresh rate? Is it different from the monitor's refresh rate?

By "runs slower", do you mean that FPS is reduced, or the input latency (between clicking and the TV showing the results of the action) is reduced? TVs have a higher input latency in comparison to computer monitors.
The game is programed to upscale the res to suit the display. My monitor is 1080p and so is the TV. The game res is 960x540 upscaled to 1080p.

Both the monitor and TV are run from the graphics card when I use them. I am not sure of the refresh rate of the TV but my monitor is 120hz.

FPS is not reduced and neither is input latency. It just runs slower its strange

S

Sybok

Both the monitor and TV are run from the graphics card when I use them. I am not sure of the refresh rate of the TV but my monitor is 120hz.
Could be exactly that.

What is your room speed set to? And are you using vSync?

If your room speed is greater than 60 and vSync is enabled, the game will run at the screens refresh rate (or room speed, whichever is the lower of the two).

mar_cuz

Could be exactly that.

What is your room speed set to? And are you using vSync?

If your room speed is greater than 60 and vSync is enabled, the game will run at the screens refresh rate (or room speed, whichever is the lower of the two).
Hi my room speed is 60 and vsync is on

S

Sybok

I’d try displaying some debug information on the screen just to be 100% certain.

Code:
draw_text(20, 20, room_speed)
and test on both displays.

Really feels like your game is running at vSync and not room speed. Just love to double check that you are in fact running at 60 and you don’t have a room_speed set in code somewhere that is overriding the editor.

mar_cuz

I’d try displaying some debug information on the screen just to be 100% certain.

Code:
draw_text(20, 20, room_speed)
and test on both displays.

Really feels like your game is running at vSync and not room speed. Just love to double check that you are in fact running at 60 and you don’t have a room_speed set in code somewhere that is overriding the editor.
Thanks I'll test and see what I get. I'm 100% sure I'm not adjusting the game speed though code

S

Sybok

Interested to see what you get. It just screams of something like that.