GMC Jam Discussion The Tropical GMC Jam 38 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravedust

The end result of Day 1:

Stuck at work for most of the day, but I mashed out quite a bit of the basic code framework that'll make this thing go. ( I wasn't / never am kidding about coding in notepad ;) ) I did also get a few hours to get a head start on some spritework.

Did about 3 hours of work once I got home and have managed to implement most of the code that I notepadded into the project. Most of the basics are complete. :) It's a really simple game at it's heart, but it'll have a few tricks up it's sleeve. Last thing to do today, will be to update the build order so I can get right on it as soon as I wake up tomorrow. :)

Micah_DS

I'm late, but I am here, and I am very excited. :D

No idea what my use of the theme will be, but I've been extremely inspired by listening to synthwave, so I know I want a moody cyberpunk sort of thing. Thus, I've been working toward that all day today, hoping I'll get a more solid plan on theme use soon. I'm liking what I've made so far, but it's pretty much all just graphical stuff.

C

Calepiaro

Can we use music from the marketplace or free to use music from youtube or does it have to be made by us?
I'm very new in the community so maybe this question is already answered somewhere and I just can't find it.
Also hello everyone :)!

ghandpivot

Can we use music from the marketplace or free to use music from youtube or does it have to be made by us?
I'm very new in the community so maybe this question is already answered somewhere and I just can't find it.
Also hello everyone :)!
You can use all music as long as the license of the song allows it. Leave credit somewhere to the artists. Newgrounds is a terrific source for free music.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@Yal So, it means that you take damage when you collect money, but otherwise the money present on the scene heal you like e.g. a bunch of priests casting spells at you?

KPJ

In the rules in the game topic, it says "you may create one post per entry", so does that mean you can submit more than one entry?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
In the rules in the game topic, it says "you may create one post per entry", so does that mean you can submit more than one entry?
Yes, you can.
In the past, some people made one "main" entry and one small/joke entry. It's not as frequent anymore, but you're still welcome to make multiple entries.

(obviously, spreading time over multiple entries means that you won't be able to commit as much time to the single entry, which is probably most natural reason why people tend to stick to the single entry)

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Yes, you can.
In the past, some people made one "main" entry and one small/joke entry. It's not as frequent anymore, but you're still welcome to make multiple entries.

(obviously, spreading time over multiple entries means that you won't be able to commit as much time to the single entry, which is probably most natural reason why people tend to stick to the single entry)
The most Immersive Horror Sim yet

Micah_DS

I was going to wait before I show anything, but nah, here's something:

I think it'll probably be the first time anyone here has seen me do 3D. You guys know how it is though, this is very early stuff, so things like lighting color and some optimization isn't finalized... actually, pretty much everything isn't finished. :p

_
ABOUT OPTIMIZATION (perhaps a cry for help, lol):

Dang though, I'm having trouble with optimizing the rain. I tried batching it (I think that's the correct term), but I realized I clearly don't know how to do so, since I was recreating the vertex buffer every frame and it was much, MUCH worse than just drawing/transforming each raindrop (it's array-based and rain is a single vertex buffer model, frozen).
The rain is the reason for almost all of those draw calls and some texture swaps. Without rain, it's [6][6], but with it, it adds 2 more texture swaps (rain drops and rain splashes), and for each raindrop it adds a draw call. It just doesn't seem great, but I can't afford to take more time on it unless I finish the game and have time to try to optimize then.
Don't worry though, at the very least, I plan to add in various graphical options. I don't really know how to test GPU stuff, so I don't know if this is going to struggle on lower end GPUs. I have a GTX 1080, which is probably considered mid gaming now, but I'm sure lots of people still have older cards.

Joe Ellis

@Micah_DS With the rain, the trick is to built all the drops into a static vertex buffer, and each drop billboard or mesh has an attribute float "offset", then you can simply use a time float uniform to make them move, and possibly a vec3 direction uniform vector, with the length\height of the rain drop path built in.
I used this in the particles video I made a couple of years ago, all of the effects on that use the same time + offset technique, and on more recent stuff I've done that with the plasma ball, bounce pads and teleporter

R

Red Phantom

Some games I'm looking forward to playing:

Lumenflower 's game
Yal 's game - Rules of the Rhinoceros
SoapSud39 's game - They Bleed Red Too
Lukan 's game - Collect . Build.Kill.
Bart 's game - Spielconm

Good luck to all of you and everyone else! Hopefully we all make something we are proud of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Selek

I've posted a teaser in my "space" in the game thread, but I can't resist yapping a bit more here. My game "Tobruk" is a recreation of the daring British counter-attack in the desert of North Africa in early 1941. My three rules are move, resupply, attack.

The art is a work in progress; the map and units both need much more polish. I have orders working, kind of, but I haven't figured out how to implement waypoints yet. It's a "WEGO" system: you and the AI issue orders, and the computer executes them simultaneously, so random things can happen.

Erm, the AI isn't quite a thing yet, but I've done similar prototypes in the past, so I should have something ready by Sunday night. I also need to figure out how to zoom the map in and out, or at least create two layers of zoom, so that the user at least can enjoy some of the eye candy I'm trying to put on units. It would be nice to implement weather and terrain and lots of other stuff, but I doubt I'll have time. The one rule I really want to implement in some form is supply, since that was so important to this conflict, but even that may be a bridge too far.

Here's a screenshot, a cropped version of the one I posted in the submissions thread.Tiny shot Tobruk.png

Gizmo199

Man I hate to say it but I think I'm gonna have to call it quits on this one... :( Between work and the fact that I still can't think of a way to incorporate the theme I just wont have time to finish something. :( Next time! Gonna request off for it and plan around it, just isn't in the stars for this one though. Cant wait to play some games though! Best of luck to everyone!! :D

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Just woke up from a 12-hour megasleep, now I should have enough energy to last the rest of the jam :p
(Wasn't planned, but staying up late for the theme reveal + staying up late to bingeprogram took a bit of a toll on me)

TehPilot

Hey! You've got the store to yourself most of this shift.

Make sure it stays safe in there. I know it's a lot to ask, especially with your usual shiftmate out sick. And with the number of reported illnesses going up lately. We won't have enough coverage if you get sick, and if we can't keep the store clean, more people will get sick and we'll have to shut down for a bit. And we can't take a prolonged closure - sales have been awful as of late! We should strive to keep everyone safe and things afloat as long as we can manage.

It's a tall order, I'm sorry. But if you stick to the basic guidelines you'll probably be fine.

• Don't leave the shelves empty.
  • Maintain a safe distance from other people.
  • Clean your hands and the surfaces they touch frequently.

You've got this. I'll see you later today!
- Your Shift Manager

R

Red Phantom

Hey, so I hope I'm allowed to ask this, I'm looking for some feedback on my game before the jam ends.
It would mean a lot if even a couple of people play-tested my game Fire Realm and gave me feedback
Link to download

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninety

Random thought, I wonder if anyone’s doing a game about Newton’s three laws or the three laws of thermodynamics

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
from proto to beta

Contains Spoilers for "The Faults in our Code"
So you probably shouldn't look at these until you've played the game, but I'll never know ;)

Bare bones

Backgrounds! "Banana" Bot!
mockedupbackground.png

NEW BUTTONS!!
sweet background animations!!!

AH REAL ROBOTS!!
WOAH TEXT!!

THY HANDS ARE TOO BIG

DEBUG CONSOLE FUN

AH RANDOM ROBOTS

arstotzka approved!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm working in the most erratic way possible. Random level generation works, visual effects are trippier than ever, and a ****ton of graphics are in place, but I still haven't coded a single enemy yet. But now I've made the shopkeeper animate when talking! #priorities

1598726203748.png

Chaser

im having a go in the jam this time. im not that confident il finish but what the hell, il give it a good go. ive been at it all day. im making a shooter(so groundbreaking i know) heres what i have so far. :)screenshot 2.png

KPJ

I like the theme, and I think it's going to be pretty interesting to see how the voters rate the "use of theme" category for the games, with the straightforward theme of "three simple rules". Unless someone manages to make four simple rules haha! I think the challenge will be to make rules that are innovative AND simple.

ghandpivot

I made a game!
You're given 3 rules and have to guess which object, person, historic event, etc they are related to. While it's a rather simple take on the theme and many games with this kind of style exist on the appstore, I'm uncertain if anyone has taken quite this approach. Good luck jamming to all of you!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
All enemy graphics are complete, all guns have stats (but not unique bullet sprites or shoot sounds yet), the shop fully works... but I still haven't coded any enemy behaviors yet!

But enemies are randomly spawned properly now, at least, so the game starts looking legit in static screenshots :)
1598742185975.png

HyprBlu

imagesmall.png
Entering the final hours due to my timezone and work the next day. Hopefully I can get some final touches and some more levels added. Good luck to everyone entering, not long now!

R

Red Phantom

Looking through the games topic I can see that the competition is tough, looks like overall the games in this game are on a higher level compared to some previous jams. Can't wait to vote.

Good luck to everyone competing, push through the last 24 hours to make a masterpiece!

Don't forget to post your games in the actual
Games Topic

D

Deleted member 45063

I should probably try to see if I can manage to muster up a couple hours to actually try to do something this jam other than posting the three rules...

Finished the end-game of my game. Now to just add more content and pretty a few things up.
The game is about being made the leader of a cannibalistic post-apocalypse group. Left and Right allow you to make decisions for the group. If you don't follow their 3 simple rules, you're dinner.

GMCJam_end_game.JPG

C

Calepiaro

Ok the jam is almost over and I see this next to my post:
Annotation 2020-08-30 232044.png
"This message is awaiting moderator approval..."
I am very new in this community so should I worry or not?

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Ok the jam is almost over and I see this next to my post:
View attachment 33909
"This message is awaiting moderator approval..."
I am very new in this community so should I worry or not?
Worry not! I just approved your post (and some others, too)!
Generally, these posts to approve are visible by me and Dan, so whoever compiles the Jam ZIP sees the publicly visible and approval-awaiting posts alike.

Also, I wouldn't say the Jam is almost over, there are still over 12 hours left (vide countdown clock. So if there's something you still want to add, go for it!

Also, for the sake of our internet connection and the planet, please make sure to use the appropriate soundtrack compression options.
Right now, your file has 125MB according to itch.io. While maybe sometimes this huge filesize is a result of assets having objectively that much information, in most cases it's because of forgetting to pick the correct audio compression option (it happened to me, too).

So please go through all your background music resources (leave SFX as-is) and in "Attributes", choose the Uncompress on Load - Not Streamed. With that your BGM should weight much less in the exported file.

Happy jamming, will check your game once submission period is over. ^^

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Also, for the sake of our internet connection and the planet, please make sure to use the appropriate soundtrack compression options.
Right now, your file has 125MB according to itch.io. While maybe sometimes this huge filesize is a result of assets having objectively that much information, in most cases it's because of forgetting to pick the correct audio compression option (it happened to me, too).
I didnt know that, Good to know

C

Calepiaro

So please go through all your background music resources (leave SFX as-is) and in "Attributes", choose the Uncompress on Load - Not Streamed. With that your BGM should weight much less in the exported file.

Happy jamming, will check your game once submission period is over. ^^
Wow thanks!
And also did not know that.

KPJ

All done with my entry!

Had a lot of fun, and made sure that I had enough time to add lots of polish and effects, something I didn't do in my previous jams and need to improve on. Just looking at the posts, all the games look great! Excited to play them!

Status
Not open for further replies.