• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE When will we have a GUI system, is it planned?

Posh Indie

That Guy
... People complain about engine developers becoming dependent on the store to fill in the gaps instead of doing the work. ...
This is a misunderstanding of their users' valuation of the work involved in achieving the impossible (Including everything that every user could possibly ever want). The whole existence of a marketplace is enabled by the fact that "The developers of the engine cannot possibly include everything that every user could possibly ever want". But having a marketplace causes accusations of "You are relying on the marketplace" from people who want a very specific thing that is not currently included... This is not a battle any engine developer can win.

... I don't think it would be a good idea for them to brag about a specific asset covering something that many people think should be internal to the engine. ...
Who said they need to brag about it? Unity buys assets from their own marketplace to integrate into the engine that they never bragged about having in their marketplace before (For example, ProBuilder).

... Some people would say that its a bad thing(moot point or not). ...
So everything that some people might say is a bad thing should be included always? I think everything ever is in violation of this...

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
(things I will not talk about: the fact that Unity is free and GM is paid and have to pay AGAIN for things missing... yikes! but I am NOT saying anything...)
Yeah, that's a whole 'nother discussion.
Let's say it's already not looking great.
This is also another discussion, there are always going to be people who disagree no matter what they do. This applies to other engines as well.

Hey guys I'm thinking and I might need some advise. Sorry if I'm getting a bit off track.
I've been working on my ui asset for 3 years now, put in probably hundreds if not thousands of hours. I've only made ~$500. It's nice, but definitely not worth my time. At this point it doesn't really matter to me that much anymore, I just want my work to be appreciated. But I do love the satisfaction of every person making a payment to me. Not because it makes me rich, but because it feels like a great reward.

Anyways, I was thinking, maybe I can open source my project. For free. The problem is that I lose making money.
On the plus side, making it open source will hopefully give me more users. That has the downside of giving me more support tickets and questions. However, I may also get more collaborators to help me fix things. But then again, this is quite a bit code base so that might repeal collaborators.
What do you guys think I should do?
Would you pay for my ui system and do you think other people would do so? (mine's currently $10)
Would you use my ui system if it was open source and do you think other people would do so?
Would you use my ui system at all and do you think other people would do so?

My solution was to maybe dual license it so one the one hand I have a pretty copyleft GPL. Then people working on close source projects can just use a simple proprietary license for a small fee.
I feel your pain. From what I've seen though, it seems that even on Unity's much bigger asset store, sellers don't really make a living, rather a side income. And Yoyo's is much smaller, both in size and in customer base. Worse, as someone mentioned already, this customer base doesn't want to pay more as they already pay for the software and feel like the feature should already be part of the engine.

As far as what you personally should do...that's a hard one. There comes a time where you can't really do much more with an asset..you can only add so many features, etc... before there is only bugfix/maintenance work that can be done. I haven't made as much money as you have on my Input system, but it is something that has less demand too so that makes sense. My personal solution is to just keep adding features(and right now I'm doing a re-write for version 2.3 to make it easier to add other features). Besides that, there are some other assets/systems I'm interested in creating. I'm hoping between some free ones I'm releasing(both for getting donations and as advertising for bigger ones), and the other assets I make, I can eventually build up to a substantial side income. But I'm not expecting it to really give me a full salary replacement...that won't happen unless Gamemaker turns into a more professional and bigger product than it is right now.

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
@Tthecreator, like everything in life, you have to know what your objective is.

You already said that it "doesn't really matter to me that much anymore" and "just want my work to be appreciated". People that pay tend to use what they buy and talk to you about features. On my free version I got almost no chatter. 😅

I am going to be honest with you. It seems to be a complicated system at first glance, but a complete one. In my specific case I would rather make something than buy, but I know people that pay for such things.

It really boils down to what do you want to do with it now. I hope I could help.

Sorry for the side track.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
This is a misunderstanding of their users' valuation of the work involved in achieving the impossible (Including everything that every user could possibly ever want). The whole existence of a marketplace is enabled by the fact that "The developers of the engine cannot possibly include everything that every user could possibly ever want". But having a marketplace causes accusations of "You are relying on the marketplace" from people who want a very specific thing that is not currently included... This is not a battle any engine developer can win.
On this we agree it seems.
Who said they need to brag about it? Unity buys assets from their own marketplace to integrate into the engine that they never bragged about having in their marketplace before (For example, ProBuilder).
I don't think anybody specifically said that, I just mention it simply in response to Frosty mentioning the way people seem to "standardize" a certain tutorial series, and how you could "standardize" a specific marketplace asset the same way, and that it can't be Yoyo to do that because it would look bad. I've never known any company to do that, though there is a tendency to brag about the ecosystem itself.
So everything that some people might say is a bad thing should be included always? I think everything ever is in violation of this...
No worries, the bad thing I'm talking about is if they were to advertise a specific asset to replace what some people think should have been included in the engine already, as Ithat would be a bad business practice. I'm guessing you misunderstood what I was getting at.

Posh Indie

That Guy
I don't think anybody specifically said that, I just mention it simply in response to Frosty mentioning the way people seem to "standardize" a certain tutorial series, and how you could "standardize" a specific marketplace asset the same way, and that it can't be Yoyo to do that because it would look bad. I've never known any company to do that, though there is a tendency to brag about the ecosystem itself.
To this I ask, "Which GUI Asset from the Game Maker Marketplace has been standardized by the community?" Until that becomes a thing, I think we can drop that angle, haha.

No worries, the bad thing I'm talking about is if they were to advertise a specific asset to replace what some people think should have been included in the engine already, as Ithat would be a bad business practice. I'm guessing you misunderstood what I was getting at.
No, that sounds about the same as you said above, only more thread specific. It still boils down to, "Some people think this specific thing should be in the engine already, so now YoYo Games has to do it or they look bad." (Now, I will concede that they will look bad... to that small subset, in this case) I think bad business practice would be neglecting things users cannot accomplish currently in favor of easing something they already can. This speaks to @FrostyCat's point of, "Better education material would alleviate this".

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
To this I ask, "Which GUI Asset from the Game Maker Marketplace has been standardized by the community?" Until that becomes a thing, I think we can drop that angle, haha.
I never said that one had been "standardized" rather I was mentioning the idea based off Frosty's points. The angle can be dropped though as it isn't a thing anyway.

No, that sounds about the same as you said above, only more thread specific. It still boils down to, "Some people think this specific thing should be in the engine already, so now YoYo Games has to do it or they look bad." (Now, I will concede that they will look bad... to that small subset, in this case).
Cool, so we agree on this then. I don't think Yoyo should cater to any specific subset of users, more like they should do what is best for the software, what makes sense for the most users in general(which is why I think a GUI system is closer to the bottom of the priority list). Yes, they will always look bad to some people, no way around it, oh well.

I think bad business practice would be neglecting things users cannot accomplish currently in favor of easing something they already can. This speaks to @FrostyCat's point of, "Better education material would alleviate this".
Exactly...this is why I mention several other things should are more important than a GUI system.

Posh Indie

That Guy
I never said that one had been "standardized" rather I was mentioning the idea based off Frosty's points. The angle can be dropped though as it isn't a thing anyway.

Cool, so we agree on this then. I don't think Yoyo should cater to any specific subset of users, more like they should do what is best for the software, what makes sense for the most users in general(which is why I think a GUI system is closer to the bottom of the priority list). Yes, they will always look bad to some people, no way around it, oh well.

Exactly...this is why I mention several other things should are more important than a GUI system.
And thus, we can finally come to a full agreement at this point. An included GUI system is not inherently a bad thing, it just probably does not deserve the attention requested at this time. I would not throw my hat down and curse the gods if it was added, but I also would not throw a party for it, haha.

erayzesen

Anyways, I was thinking, maybe I can open source my project. For free. The problem is that I lose making money.
I think my advice is don't do that.

If you're going to do that, my advice is to leave it stably, give support for possible troubles. You can make new projects like this and collect donations from patreon.

I agree with other friends, game maker user doesn't like to buy assets much, and I don't like it either. I do not know why. :rolleyes:

edit: you did it. :D It's too late now. Thanks big hearted friend. 👊 I recommend that you work on Patreon and donation. Best wishes.

Last edited:

Cliff3D

Nocturne - no fair! Don't raise hopes like that!

I find one of the compelling arguments to wanting a built-in GUI editor to be the cross-platform nature of GameMaker. I would like to have a system that works exactly the same regardless of whether the user is using keyboard, mouse, touch screen, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and so on and so forth. That seems to limit functionality by using GML alone.

I've actually started putting together "my own" local package based on a "Buttons 2.3" tutorial by SamSpade, because my first game's GUI was nasty (seriously, I should have broken the GUI out into a separate project in the first place). A problem with the marketplace is that one needs to search the MarketPlace, finding numerous packages with old code, external libraries (e.g. .dll) that preclude Android, and so on. Long, long ago I toyed with Visual Basic where one drew basic controls onto a form - it has long boggled my mind that GameMaker doesn't have a similar system.

If the UI controls are still in development, will they be raster-based or vertex-based? I'm in the process of cleaning up code/bug fixes in my Vertex Based User Controls Toolbox for a re-release soon. Since I've caught wind that Yoyo is developing its own in-game UI system, I have decided not to add additional controls to my project and will move on to actually making games for a change. (What a concept... Using Game Maker for its intended purpose instead of backend stuff.) If it helps, the developers should download my project and see what they like and dislike.