Steam Pixel Art - Mash-Up - Build 1.1.8.3 - Download

L

Lezil

Can now Wishlist on Steam @ https://store.steampowered.com/app/1403130/Pixel_Art__MashUp/

BUILD 1.2.0.9

Added reflex rounds.

There will be some balance checks for these done soon. Have already played them for hours.

Boss enemies buffed. Some changes to boss AI
More likely to block your attacks. HP increased to better scale with the player.

Crow Enemy
No longer as agressive as it was. Might peck at you while on the ground though!

Fixed credits menu visual bug.
Fixed stats menu. Now confirms when stats are set.
Stat menu tells you what button to press for confirming stats and added a visual confirmation so you know it worked.
Audio - Different music now plays during the "reflex round"
Level design - I did spend some time making the levels look a little better. I like the changes and hope you will too.

BUILD 1.1.9.5c

Balance pass on the eye/bat enemy.
Balance pass on slime enemy.
Balance pass on tree enemy.
Balance pass on boss enemies.
Balance pass on stump enemy.

Graphical fixes on tree enemy. UI tool tips changes.
Fixed a bug allowing you to get hp when dead, and then killing you again.
Enemies are now less likely to spawn on top of you.
Enemies now know what walls are and turn around.
Camera view increased to see more of the level.

Endurance mode is still not active.

BUILD 1.1.8.3

Crow Enemy - HP Decreased
2 Bosses Added
Arcade Mode Added - Increased player HP, each skill unlocked at level 1, player is able to continue.
Endurance - Mode is added to the main menu but is not active.
Survival - The mode people have come to know and love/hate.
Some graphical fixes. More to come.

BUILD 1.1.6.0
Complete Remap of Keyboard Controls
Changed controls in options to only display keyboard controls if a controller is not connected.
W - A - S - D are now used for movement
E - Used to enter in-game menu to use stat points.

Left Mouse - Punch
Right Mouse - Kick
Middle Mouse - Sword
Shift - Block
Space - Jump

BUILD 1.1.5.7
Tree Enemy - Larger Hitbox - Chance to attack lowered.
Stump Enemy - Larger Hitbox - Increased Accuracy of Attack
Player - Punch Knockback - Increased slightly to make combos easier while moving.
& more

BUILD 1.1.5.4

Enemy knockback fix for bush enemy
Player knockback fix for bush enemy - will not get knocked back as far.
Player hurt time reduced allowing quicker response when hit by enemy.

BUILD 1.1.5.3

Decreased enemy spawn range ( will now spawn closer to left and right )
Increased responsiveness of player attack.

BUILD 1.1.5.2

Bug Fixes - Fixed Keyboard Controls
E - is hard coded to exit game - R - restarts the game
Enemy Fixes BUSH ENEMY - BETTER ATTACK RANGE - HP DECREASED
Player Fix - Made attack hitbox more responsive.

I am happy to announce that I am releasing a playable version of Pixel Art - Mash-Up.

The day has finally come where the community can participate in the testing phase.

The game is currently set up to be played endlessly. There are 2 levels, each with 10 waves of enemies on each level. Each wave has increasingly difficult enemies. When you are done when level 2, it will transition you back to level 1. You can continue playing until you die and the total waves you were able to survive will be added to your final score.

When you start the game you will start with only the ability to punch and block. When you defeat an enemy you will gain xp. When you level up your HP will be replenished and you will receive 2 skill points that you can spend to unlock new attacks and increase attack damage.

Every other time you level up your max HP will be increased. This will allow you to play a little more aggressively if you choose.

It can be played with a keyboard or a controller.

Things you can unlock:

• Punch Combo - Instead of only punching once, you can time your punch and punch again after ( or button mash ).
  • Kick - Allows you to kick and execute a kick from a punch or sword attack if pressed at the correct time.
  • Sword - The sword is a slower attack that does more damage, you can execute a punch or kick from the sword attack if timing is right.
  • Double Jump - Allows you to double jump.
  • Gravity - Decrease gravity, allowing you to jump higher and get on those pesky platforms.
  • Critical Chance - Increase your ability to land a critical hit in combat.
  • Critical Damage - Increases your critical hit damage.

Note: You can upgrade each attacks damage individually if you choose or you can increase crit chance and crit damage which will effect all your attacks. The choice is yours.

Note: After you select your new stats press the JUMP button to accept the changes and lock them in. (This is currently not explained in the current build but will be added soon.)

There are a lot of things I still want to add and change but as a solo dev I will have to prioritize what gets tackled first!

Some of the feature to come:

• GUI that fits the game style better
  • 5 more levels that will follow the same structure.
  • Boss fight at the end of each level
  • Special Attack

MODES

• Endurance Mode - No extra lives, No food drops
  • Trials Mode - Avoiding enemies for a certain time. Use only Punch, Kick, or Sword. Time limit per wave.
  • Arcade Mode - Allow player to continue after they lose their lives.

This is a EARLY ACCESS TEST BUILD. I ask that you please give me any feedback that you have about the game.

Is it hard? It is easy? How are the enemies balanced? What would be a good addition? Are there any glitches? All the feedback I get will help further development of the game.

This game is exclusively being made with assets found here on itch.io and I feel its a good way to not only support the community but also showcase some awesome assets that I have found.

I pay for every asset that I use as a way to give back to the itch.io community and will continue to purchase and use more assets. The game currently has assets from 14 different artists. I hope that everyone will enjoy this game and I can continue adding dozens of new enemies and levels.

Pixel Art - Mash-Up is currently being released for FREE. Anyone that downloads it will be able to update it to a release version in time.

If you enjoy this project and want to help support the development of this game consider donating.

Thank you for coming to check this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lezil

Flying around gives it a different feel.
:D
Thanks! The action is pretty tense in my experience, it starts off a little slow but picks up. I plan to record a better gameplay video I just haven't had time yet.

I've had multiple people ask for playable build and as a solo dev I need the feedback as much as they wanted to play it so the video hasn't been a priority haha.

Downloading this later - I really like the concept and it seems like it will be a lot of fun!
I'll post back with my feedback (most probably tomorrow)!

L

Lezil

Awesome! Will be great to have some more feedback. Fair warning. It's NOT EASY. The enemies can become overwhelming and sometimes you have to be a little passive!

Awesome! Will be great to have some more feedback. Fair warning. It's NOT EASY. The enemies can become overwhelming and sometimes you have to be a little passive!
Good! I'd prefer if it wasn't too easy, always seem to go back to games which irritate me haha!

L

Lezil

Right now it takes about 15 min to clear both levels... If you can. hahaha. its set up to loop at the moment though so you could play it endlessly for a higher score.

Also the enemies randomly spawn within a range from the left and right side. So just know the sides can be dangerous.

Alright awesome thanks for the heads up! I'll test it out tomorrow morning so I can beat my highscore over and over again haha!

Looking forward to playing it. Do you have a Discord to post feedback and whatnot? Or shall I post it here? Thanks.

L

Lezil

I cycle through the different media pages daily so you can post here, itch.io, gamejolt, or twitter. I check them all a couple of times a day. :D

I cycle through the different media pages daily so you can post here, itch.io, gamejolt, or twitter. I check them all a couple of times a day. :D
My second attempt.. those birds/crows are the most irritating things I have ever come across. First impressions of the game though - great. Honestly, the movement / flying aspect is awesome and very unique! I'll post some more on here or on itch once I've played some more, had to drag myself off it just to post this on here!
1596875143807.png

L

Lezil

Ahh yeah, i changed the controls menu to only display the controls for keyboard if a controller is not connected but then i didnt change the credits to do the same thing. So it would be Enter/Space on a keyboard or A on a controller.

I need to change it so it only displays Enter/Space if a controller is not connected.

L

Lezil

im adding a couple bosses in now. hahaha. i have one of them almost done and all i can say is its freaking great. i dont wanna spoil anything but i think it will be a nice surprise.

im adding a couple bosses in now. hahaha. i have one of them almost done and all i can say is its freaking great. i dont wanna spoil anything but i think it will be a nice surprise.
Cannot wait! Really been enjoying the game. All I was going to say as a feedback or slight criticism would be bosses / more enemies! Looking forward to the next update!

M

markchapman

It's A great casual game you can sit down and beat'em up real quick and then get back to work, is this coming to mobile? I wasn't able to get that far but this game isn't my cup of tea, loved it though the art is great, the controls were sluggish BUT that wasn't because of the game probably it was my laptop running chrome and gamemaker studio. The respawn time seemed to take a while but with alot of enemies it may be a life saver letting them clear out. Overall I loved it, thanks for letting us test it out!

L

Lezil

It's A great casual game you can sit down and beat'em up real quick and then get back to work, is this coming to mobile? I wasn't able to get that far but this game isn't my cup of tea, loved it though the art is great, the controls were sluggish BUT that wasn't because of the game probably it was my laptop running chrome and gamemaker studio. The respawn time seemed to take a while but with alot of enemies it may be a life saver letting them clear out. Overall I loved it, thanks for letting us test it out!
I used to be a pro gamer so i like something like this to warm up my reflexes. The game i played became a job and sometimes you don't wanna warm up at work. For me i could see this being a warmup ritual game. If i can beat it i know it takes about 15 - 20min and for me thats a good time.

Like you said it would be perfect for casual gaming. You can pick it up, play it some, and stop with missing a beat.

Will I port it to mobile? Very possible depending on how the steam launch goes!

L

Lezil

Cannot wait! Really been enjoying the game. All I was going to say as a feedback or slight criticism would be bosses / more enemies! Looking forward to the next update!
One of the bosses can jump and double jump. Land on the platforms, jump off or fall off the platforms. I also plan on making all the enemies a little smarter and detect when they are about to hit the edge of the level. Right now im sure you have seen them glitch there and not know where to go. 😂

One of the bosses can jump and double jump. Land on the platforms, jump off or fall off the platforms. I also plan on making all the enemies a little smarter and detect when they are about to hit the edge of the level. Right now im sure you have seen them glitch there and not know where to go. 😂
I look forward to the bosses being implemented! I have yes - they do look a bit confused haha. Also on the second level, those little running guys are a pain to hit (with the sword) - I'm not sure if you designed them like that (if so you are evil) or whether their hitboxes are a little small? Not sure though!

L

Lezil

You talking about the mushroom? If so, yeah im totally evil

If your talking about the goblin. Im still evil. let me know what one though because i was about to buff some of the second level 😂

when i see the mushroom, i run and dodge and play chicken trying to force it to attack and pull out all the stops. I find myself baiting the harder enemies a lot though lol

You talking about the mushroom? If so, yeah im totally evil

If your talking about the goblin. Im still evil. let me know what one though because i was about to buff some of the second level 😂

when i see the mushroom, i run and dodge and play chicken trying to force it to attack and pull out all the stops. I find myself baiting the harder enemies a lot though lol
Haha yeah the mushroom is what I was on about; not sure why I couldn't remember what it was. Now you mention it, that goblin is a **** with his little knives. The only time I've upgraded the double jump and gravity was to get out of the way of those little 💩💩💩💩s haha.

Also if you'd like some ideas thrown your way for a new level.. how about an "underwater" theme? Have some monster fish etc. No worries if not - just a little idea I had!

L

Lezil

Since I'm only using assets i can find on itch.io I will have to look and see what i can find.

I've also been trying to use 1 set of assets per artist but it is incredibly hard because while there are a lot of assets, there arent many that i find useful.

I do want to add a couple more levels though and i also want to add a couple more game modes.

L

Lezil

Today i added a couple more options to the main menu.

Survival - Arcade - Endurance.

The Survival mode is the one you are already familiar with.

In Arcade mode the player starts with a little more HP, every skill starts at level 1 and you can also continue after you lose your lives. The downside is if you do use a continue, your score takes a major hit.

I feel this mode will give people that are fresh to the game a little more of an advantage and decrease the learning curve.

Arcade mode is almost fully implemented but I need to do more testing of all the features.

Endurance mode. This is really a placeholder at the moment. This is more of a "hard enemies only" mode as it stands right now where you don't fight any of the basic enemies. So no crows, no bush, no slime, no flying eyeball. More trees, more minotaurs, more goblins, more mushrooms, etc.

it's really just a concept at the moment because I'm not sure if that's exactly how I want to implement it.

More levels! This is still 100% going to happen. I really want a minimum of 5 levels at least 4 of them having enemies unique to those level so probably another 12 enemies.

At the moment I am trying to balance everything that currently exists and look for bugs or glitches that could improve the experience. After that I'll make some more forward progress.

Today i added a couple more options to the main menu.

Survival - Arcade - Endurance.

The Survival mode is the one you are already familiar with.

In Arcade mode the player starts with a little more HP, every skill starts at level 1 and you can also continue after you lose your lives. The downside is if you do use a continue, your score takes a major hit.

I feel this mode will give people that are fresh to the game a little more of an advantage and decrease the learning curve.

Arcade mode is almost fully implemented but I need to do more testing of all the features.

Endurance mode. This is really a placeholder at the moment. This is more of a "hard enemies only" mode as it stands right now where you don't fight any of the basic enemies. So no crows, no bush, no slime, no flying eyeball. More trees, more minotaurs, more goblins, more mushrooms, etc.

it's really just a concept at the moment because I'm not sure if that's exactly how I want to implement it.

More levels! This is still 100% going to happen. I really want a minimum of 5 levels at least 4 of them having enemies unique to those level so probably another 12 enemies.

At the moment I am trying to balance everything that currently exists and look for bugs or glitches that could improve the experience. After that I'll make some more forward progress.
Thank you for keeping us updated, it's much appreciated!

The arcade mode sounds fun to practice on - especially if you're wanting to learn the enemy behaviours and find ways to counter them!

L

Lezil

Update now live! It has been up for a couple of days but i haven't had a chance to update this page.

BUILD 1.1.8.3
Crow Enemy - HP Decreased
2 Bosses Added
Arcade Mode Added - Increased player HP, each skill unlocked at level 1, player is able to continue.
Endurance - Mode is added to the main menu but is not active.
Survival - The mode people have come to know and love/hate.
Some graphical fixes. More to come.

L

Lezil

Pixel Art - MU Alpha 1195c - Patch notes are on the first post.

Now live on itch and gamejolt