• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

AdMob for Windows Phone

Still57

Yes, it is time: We need an AdMob extension for Windows Phone.

Hello everyone! I've been using Game Maker: Studio for almost a year now and I must say that I love it mostly because it is really easy to use (and because Shaun Spalding is great at making tutorials). Of course it has some features missing like every other game development software out there and I understand that it takes time to implement different features. However, I don't understand why there still isn't an AdMob extension for Windows Phone. Not advertising here but the Windows Phone marketplace is a great opportunity for indies to earn a little bit of money from their games because comparing to the iOS and Android stores it has way fewer apps which means everyone has a better chance being discovered on it. I think YoYo and most people underestimate the opportunities that the Windows Phone market gives to developers. I have 9 different games each on all 3 platforms. These 9 games have been downloaded 4 times more from the Windows Phone marketplace than from the Android and iOS stores combined. This means that I could have been earning at least twice the amount that I do right now (and I still wouldn't be earning enough to make a living anyway but you get my point). Note that none of my friends have windows phone devices and I never advertised any of my games for windows phone. I think this statistic speaks for itself.

I'm certain that there are other developers that are in a similar situation as I'm in. So YoYo isn't it time already? and people of the GMC what are your opinions?

PS: We all know Microsoft advertising and pubcenter are a joke so I didn't even mention them.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
AFAIK YYG has dropped all native support for ads and the idea is that you should solve that by extensions.

Still57

AFAIK YYG has dropped all native support for ads and the idea is that you should solve that by extensions.
I've read something about that in the legacy forums.

They have a Google Play Services extension you can download from their marketplace that only supports Android and iOS. Why can't they add AdMob support for Windows Phone in that extension?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The Marketplace doesn't just sell official extensions, anyone that owns a copy of GMS can put up stuff for sale there. If the author of the extension isn't YYG, you probably should check the support e-mail address for the resource and contact them via that. (Probably doesn't hurt even if it's made by YYG, since they have over 20 employees and it's not guaranteed all of them are active on the forums)

I agree with the guy who made this thread. YoYo's own AdMob extension covers both Google Play apps and iOS apps, so I don't get why they can't update that extension to also cover WinPhone.
There is absolutely potential to make ad-money on WinPhone apps, for the reasons stated above.
If someone else creates an extension to deal with AdMob ads for WinPhone apps, I'd be fine with that as well. I'd be willing to pay for it even.

Still57

The Marketplace doesn't just sell official extensions, anyone that owns a copy of GMS can put up stuff for sale there. If the author of the extension isn't YYG, you probably should check the support e-mail address for the resource and contact them via that. (Probably doesn't hurt even if it's made by YYG, since they have over 20 employees and it's not guaranteed all of them are active on the forums)
YoYo has its own AdMob extension for us to use. You're right I should get in touch with them. But I still want to know if people care.

If someone else creates an extension to deal with AdMob ads for WinPhone apps, I'd be fine with that as well. I'd be willing to pay for it even.
I'd be ok with someone else making an extension as well. However, I think it should be YoYo's responsibility to add these kinds of features.

There are a few things about YoYo that I don't understand:

I read a thread in the legacy forums about this that was started 2-3 years ago and Russel mentioned that they weren't interested in making an AdMob extension for Windows Phone. I don't understand this. I really think an AdMob extension for Windows Phone is a necessity if you want to market Game Maker: Studio to Windows Phone developers. I even remember people posting in the thread saying how they don't put their games on the Windows Phone market anymore because they don't earn any revenue from pubcenter ads. And this is true because the fill rates are always less than 5%. For people who don't know, this means that whenever your game wants to show an ad (and that's what you get paid for) it can only do that 5% of the time. This happens because people who make these ads don't prefer pubcenter when it comes to distributing them. They prefer AdMob instead. The fill rate in AdMob is always higher than 95%. AdMob is a necessity if you want to monetize your games by displaying ads on Windows Phone.

Another thing I don't understand is how YoYo prioritizes the stuff it needs to get done. I am aware that Game Maker: Studio needs to be updated often because it needs to work with external software such as Xcode that Apple updates all the time. I get that and that should be at the top of the to-do list or else the software won't work. However, when Game Maker: Studio has a feature missing such as AdMob support for Windows Phone that a fair amount of its users want, why did YoYo prefer to remake their website and update their forums instead? I mean the forums are better now but the forums were fine as they were. It wasn't really necessary to update the forums. In the time it took to update these forums (2 months) they could have left them as they were and add a feature that is missing in Game Maker: Studio. I think everyone would have been happier that way and earning more from their games.

I'm not raging here, but it kinda pisses you off when this issue has been brought up 2-3 years ago and the extension still hasn't been made while YoYo updated their website and their forums when nothing really major changed for the customer.

So people if you care about this the slightest post something here and make your voices heard.

Last edited:
J

Jaime Lpz

Yes, it is time: We need an AdMob extension for Windows Phone.

Hello everyone! I've been using Game Maker: Studio for almost a year now and I must say that I love it mostly because it is really easy to use (and because Shaun Spalding is great at making tutorials). Of course it has some features missing like every other game development software out there and I understand that it takes time to implement different features. However, I don't understand why there still isn't an AdMob extension for Windows Phone. Not advertising here but the Windows Phone marketplace is a great opportunity for indies to earn a little bit of money from their games because comparing to the iOS and Android stores it has way fewer apps which means everyone has a better chance being discovered on it. I think YoYo and most people underestimate the opportunities that the Windows Phone market gives to developers. I have 9 different games each on all 3 platforms. These 9 games have been downloaded 4 times more from the Windows Phone marketplace than from the Android and iOS stores combined. This means that I could have been earning at least twice the amount that I do right now (and I still wouldn't be earning enough to make a living anyway but you get my point). Note that none of my friends have windows phone devices and I never advertised any of my games for windows phone. I think this statistic speaks for itself.

I'm certain that there are other developers that are in a similar situation as I'm in. So YoYo isn't it time already? and people of the GMC what are your opinions?

PS: We all know Microsoft advertising and pubcenter are a joke so I didn't even mention them.
I agree, it would be great to have an AdMob extension for windows phones. My apps as well have a greater number of downloads in the windows store, they have higher visibility than on the app store and play store.

I am trying to figure out how to create this extension myself, but I'm not an advanced programmer and don't really understand how to implement this.

Appsurd

I definitely support this idea. At the moment, implementing ads for Windows Phone is really weird and I can't get it going. Furthermore, in the past I got it working, but I never earned more than a dollar with it...

T

tienhagioi

Admob SDK for windows phone 8 made ONLY by C# , but yyg windows phones module made by C++ .So ,basicly you can't write Admob extension for windows phone 8 .Windows UWP made by c# , but admob not support windows phone > 8.1 =))