GameMaker Sony DualShock3 controller, Windows and GMS2.

Hello

I have a couple of game controllers for Playstation 3 and 4. All of them works with my gamemaker studio 2 project (on windows 10) except one : The Sony DualShock 3 controller (aka DS3) with a USB cable.

For the DualShock3 controller Gamemaker shows both the gamepad description, a mapping and the number of used buttons, but nothing happens when pressing either the sticks or the buttons of the Sony DualShock3, and I do try to detect all axis´es, buttons (digital+analog).

The only working solution I have found so far was to use "SCP-DS-Driver-Package" software/driver, which seems to change the driver for the Playstation3 driver of Windows 10 and then the controller is detected as an xinput controller in my GMS2 project. Then the d-pad and buttons work with this package, so it is not my DS3 controller that is broken or the USB cable either. This is not a perfect solution at all.

I would like to know if there is a way to NATIVELY use a Sony DualShock 3 controller with a windows GMS2 project? or if the Sony DualShock3 is the one and only non-working ps3 controller in GMS2?

I am going to buy more ps3 controllers and continue trying to figure this out, but I would like to know if any of you have dealt with this same challenge of making a Sony DualShock3 controller work with GMS2 (using a usb cable and/or bluetooth)?

Btw. my other Playstation 3 controllers have a PS3/PS4 switch, they are not PS3-only controllers, but they all work with GMS2 in PS3 mode.

Best regards
Max

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I have not done anything recently...but the last time I tried to use the PS3 controller with Windows, it was being detected by Windows correctly, but no inputs would actually work without an alternative driver(like the one you have used). I have not messed with using it with GMS2 though. I'm assuming it doesn't have good DInput drivers that get automatically installed and used by Windows, or at least it didn't back then.

As far as the other controllers with the switch...those are newer devices, and therefore may have a DInput driver working without having to install the separate program like with the other one.

All this aside, I wouldn't worry about it too much(maybe just be aware). If the problem is still the same as I last heard, then the user of these controllers will likely already know about it, and likely have already installed such a program. As the developer, I would just worry about using XInput and DInput through the GML functions as usual, and leave it up to the gamer to handle the rest. Like I said, they are likely aware anyway since other games won't support them natively either.

I have not done anything recently...but the last time I tried to use the PS3 controller with Windows, it was being detected by Windows correctly, but no inputs would actually work without an alternative driver(like the one you have used). I have not messed with using it with GMS2 though. I'm assuming it doesn't have good DInput drivers that get automatically installed and used by Windows, or at least it didn't back then.

As far as the other controllers with the switch...those are newer devices, and therefore may have a DInput driver working without having to install the separate program like with the other one.

All this aside, I wouldn't worry about it too much(maybe just be aware). If the problem is still the same as I last heard, then the user of these controllers will likely already know about it, and likely have already installed such a program. As the developer, I would just worry about using XInput and DInput through the GML functions as usual, and leave it up to the gamer to handle the rest. Like I said, they are likely aware anyway since other games won't support them natively either.
Thanks for you answer.
I think you are right about this. Especially that most gamers with a ps3 controller probably already know about this issue and many have probably already installed the scp-software+driver (or the scp-toolkit). I was just hoping that there was something that I had done wrong inside GMS2. I read somewhere that the buttons of the ps3 were analog buttons, so I tried the button-VALUE checks instead of the normal digital-button-checks, and I changed the button_threshold and axis (sensibility), but nothing helped. Then I saw that the game controller test software of windows didnt react when I pressed any button og stick of the ps3, and then presumed that GMS2 cannot do more with ps3 than the ps3 driver for windows allows. I read somewhere at the forum that someone had heard that the legacy joystick functions might work, but those functions are not available anymore in GMS2 (I tried yesterday). One wierd thing is that I THINK the ps3 worked over bluetooth two months ago, without any SCR-package-driver changes, but maby the bluetooth ps3 driver works while the wired ps3 driver doesnt.. could be.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Thanks for you answer.
I think you are right about this. Especially that most gamers with a ps3 controller probably already know about this issue and many have probably already installed the scp-software+driver (or the scp-toolkit). I was just hoping that there was something that I had done wrong inside GMS2. I read somewhere that the buttons of the ps3 were analog buttons, so I tried the button-VALUE checks instead of the normal digital-button-checks, and I changed the button_threshold and axis (sensibility), but nothing helped. Then I saw that the game controller test software of windows didnt react when I pressed any button og stick of the ps3, and then presumed that GMS2 cannot do more with ps3 than the ps3 driver for windows allows. I read somewhere at the forum that someone had heard that the legacy joystick functions might work, but those functions are not available anymore in GMS2 (I tried yesterday). One wierd thing is that I THINK the ps3 worked over bluetooth two months ago, without any SCR-package-driver changes, but maby the bluetooth ps3 driver works while the wired ps3 driver doesnt.. could be.
Indeed, when I was messing with mine, I got the same results, with it showing up in the Windows devices but it not actually detecting any movement until I installed the helper software.

I also remember that supposedly most of the buttons are actually analog, not just up or down...but I don't remember ever being able to actually read them as such. The thumbsticks had 2 axes each, and I think it was a couple of the shoulder buttons that did as well(similar to XBOX360 controllers). That said, I don't think there was enough play in the buttons to where ANY games, even on the PS3, actually used the buttons as more than up or down.

If it shows up over bluetooth, I don't know if that will ring up as a traditional DInput device or just how that would work. I've never messed with bluetooth on PC(its still pretty rare).