GameMaker how to create a .yymp file from within my (compiled) game?

descrubb

you may have seen my Other post about a project I'm working on.

I am currently working on a "game" (tool more like) where I will export the results of the time spent in this "game" to be imported into game maker studio as an object/sprite/etc for other game projects for the purpose of quicker set up of data relationships.

I am hoping to be able to create a .yymp file for this from inside the game as currently I know that file type can import multiple assets all at once.

My previous plan was to copy the hierarchy that GMS2 creates when saving sprites and objects to file. However, I think it may be simpler to just save the compiled assets meta data the same way GMS2 does it and put it all into a .yymp file and then import for a quicker set up.

//

If all else fails... I think I'll have to resort to JSON or something...

But I'm really hoping I can just do it this way...

I know hyperlight drifter was made doing things of this sort using 1.4... so I know it should be possible.

If anyone has already done something like this please feel free to drop a reply!

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Please recheck what I wrote

From within a compiled game maker game.
Ah, OK. But you still need to use that option to create a sample to emulate.

Local packages are actually just project fragments in zip form, you can see this if you try to open a .yymp file in 7zip. Create a pretend version of the package with the items and folder structures you want. Then recreate the same file structure within your project in code, and finish by making a zip with the .yymp extension using this or this.

descrubb

Ah, OK. But you still need to use that option to create a sample to emulate.

Local packages are actually just project fragments in zip form, you can see this if you try to open a .yymp file in 7zip. Create a pretend version of the package with the items and folder structures you want. Then recreate the same file structure within your project in code, and finish by making a zip with the .yymp extension using this or this.
That's exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thank you!