• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Project and game suddenly running slower after 2 month break, but not for other users

N

N0ba

A few months ago I decided to take a break from my game to do other things and have recently came back to it, but something super strange is happening that I'm sure isn't code related. My game is randomly choosing to run super slowly, as if it's a physical slow down effect, but there have been no changes to the code or game whatsoever that would cause this to occur.

I've used draw_text to draw the fps to the screen, and this shows that the game is running at 30 FPS
Using show_debug_overlay shows 80 FPS
The actual debug mode in GMS2 shows 70-80FPS

I exported this version of the project and sent it to a friend, and they have confirmed that it's running fine for them (they've played it before).

I'm so confused about what's going on here, could anyone by chance help me out? I'd really appreciate it as the game is unplayable in this state and I've been itching to get back to it. If this is meant to be in programming then I apologise, but as the issue does not seem to be code related I thought it would be better to post it here.

H

hcahoone

Check your monitor refresh rate. Per this thread, it seems that GM2 only likes a 60 Hz refresh rate. I was having the same issue after a windows update I installed last week, and found my refresh rate was 144 Hz. Setting it to 60 fixed my issues instantly. I don't know why this would be an issue now all of a sudden, as I assume that has always been my refresh rate, but I had never checked it before.

N

N0ba

Check your monitor refresh rate. Per this thread, it seems that GM2 only likes a 60 Hz refresh rate. I was having the same issue after a windows update I installed last week, and found my refresh rate was 144 Hz. Setting it to 60 fixed my issues instantly. I don't know why this would be an issue now all of a sudden, as I assume that has always been my refresh rate, but I had never checked it before.
Thanks for the reply (seriously I've asked in 2 places and been ignored so thanks), I've tried that and reset it to 60 Hz but it doesn't seem to have done anything. I looked in the advanced display settings, could it be that I'm changing the wrong thing?

N

N0ba

This is very strange. I was randomly flicking through display settings and changed the resolution to 1080p (the monitor is 720, best I can do right now I'm afraid) and the game now runs perfectly fine. The problem is that it's very hard to read things at this resolution and I'm pretty sure it's ran at 720 before with no issue. What could be causing this?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Define "the monitor is 720". As in, the monitor's native resolution is 720p? If so, you shouldn't be able to set it to 1080p without specifically overriding a setting that lets you do so. Your monitor's native resolution may actually be 1080p. If so, running it at a lower resolution may result in a performance impact as things need to be scaled from the target resolution to the screen's physical resolution. This may be more noticeable if the scaling is done on your PC's hardware instead of the monitor itself.

N

N0ba

Define "the monitor is 720". As in, the monitor's native resolution is 720p? If so, you shouldn't be able to set it to 1080p without specifically overriding a setting that lets you do so. Your monitor's native resolution may actually be 1080p. If so, running it at a lower resolution may result in a performance impact as things need to be scaled from the target resolution to the screen's physical resolution. This may be more noticeable if the scaling is done on your PC's hardware instead of the monitor itself.
Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what the setting is but it's something with my GPU that allows it to go over to 1080p (RX580 with 8 GB), but as far as I know the monitor is 720. I could be wrong though, so this could just be a misunderstanding.

Anyway, I did manage to fix the issue and I'm very confused as to why this caused it. I had a small bit of overscan and was fixing it using HDMI scaling in the Radeon software settings. I was fiddling around with things and disabled it, and all of a sudden the game works fine. Is this a bug?