• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Current CPU/RAM/GPU Usage

hydroxy

How can I find the current CPU/RAM/GPU available/being used by my game? I want it as a variable, not in the debugger. I know the debugger provides this info but it would be good to have in the game itself also.

I’ve looked all over but can only find old .dll’s with partial functionality on this issue. Will I need to learn and create a new .dll specifically for this or is there another way?

Use an overlay like RivaTuner Statistics Server. It's already purpose-built for exactly this and has all the features you could want and more.

EDIT: Or are you talking about in-game? For end-user use? I don't see why that would be useful when anyone concerned about CPU/RAM/GPU use would already be using a global 3rd party monitoring overlay.

hydroxy

I’m using a FPS graph I made myself to alert me of any spikes in processing, etc... this was I can keep performance good during development. Having info on pc performance would make this tool stronger.

I’m using a FPS graph I made myself to alert me of any spikes in processing, etc... this was I can keep performance good during development. Having info on pc performance would make this tool stronger.
There are tons of free programs already available to do just that. I recommend either HWMonitor or OpenHardwareMonitor. There's zero reason to continue iterating on your reinvented wheel when other software is out there that monitors nearly every single component in your system, and can even output a graph of temperature, usage, power intake, or whatever else you want.

The only other solution I can give is "write your own hardware monitoring software/dll". I don't know how to do that, so I can't give you any further advice on that. I can imagine it's very complex*, which is why my first recommendation was to just use a pre-made, purpose-built 3rd party solution.

*Not to mention potentially dangerous. You are dealing with your computer's hardware, after all.