Windows [Tool] GMS2 Resource Importer (updated: 2020-03-31)

N

Nathan

Just sent Mick a PM, looking for a little help with the tool's functionality :)

Mick

I have uploaded a new version of the tool to itch.io. It has the following improvements:

Code:
Version 1.0.1 (2020-03-31)
- Sprite export function added (export some or all of the sprites at once).
- Entire folders of external sprites can be imported (also recursively).
- Some convenience settings added.
- Updates to the user interface.
- Fixed a bug with gif format not working in the open file dialog for importing gifs.

I've not used this yet but it looks great. Well done and thanks for making such an awesome tool. :) I'm creating an 'engine' of sorts within gamemaker which can be used to create different games so this looks like it could be great in enabling me to have a master version of the engine which I can then use for different projects without having it be a hugely laborious process to import individual game resources whenever I move to a new version of the master.

Have you seen the upcoming changes in V2.3 where the 'Resource Tree' is now going to be replaced by the 'Asset Browser' which is much more free form in terms of folder structure? I don't know if this will likely have implications for your tool at all? Hopefully not, or if so I hope that they won't be major!

Mick

Have you seen the upcoming changes in V2.3 where the 'Resource Tree' is now going to be replaced by the 'Asset Browser' which is much more free form in terms of folder structure? I don't know if this will likely have implications for your tool at all? Hopefully not, or if so I hope that they won't be major!
I haven't seen that no. It remains to be seen what implications it has. Hopefully the project structure after this change will be better suited for source control.

Mick

I have been looking into the new project format now and it's implications on my GMS2 Resource Importer tool. I'm not sure I will make my tool support the new format, it might require too much work for me to be worth it.

I have been looking into the new project format now and it's implications on my GMS2 Resource Importer tool. I'm not sure I will make my tool support the new format, it might require too much work for me to be worth it.
Ah that's a shame, I was worried that might be the case. I completely understand though, it looks like they're changing it at quite a fundamental level so I'd imagine it could be a lot of work to re-engineer it.

Mick

Ah that's a shame, I was worried that might be the case. I completely understand though, it looks like they're changing it at quite a fundamental level so I'd imagine it could be a lot of work to re-engineer it.
I will go for it if I get the inspiration. The new project format is much better though, with most of the GUIDs eliminated etc. The overly-complicated views folder/system seems to be gone also.

I will go for it if I get the inspiration. The new project format is much better though, with most of the GUIDs eliminated etc. The overly-complicated views folder/system seems to be gone also.
I'm a little surprised that they don't have that functionality already, it would be so so handy which is why the utility you've made looks to be so useful. Maybe it might be a bit easier now they've streamlined things but who am I to say! No worries at all if you don't choose to update it but if you do I'll happily chuck you a few quid for your trouble, ha ha. ;-)

chirpy

Hi, sorry to bump an old thread; had anyone tried this with GMS 2.3? Does it still work?
[Edit: sorry again, found the answer is NO on itch.io immediately]

Japster

Hi @Mick ! - I'm currently struggling with possible corruption in a resource heavy (2.2x, not brave enough to try 2.3 yet) project mate - my new Icarus game - if I select an explosion, for example, I change the end image to a crater, but suddenly it's started making it a menu button!

I figured, ahh... I'll try Mick's importer and possibly rebuild a good project - but now I run it, it seems to get a load of 'access denied' when reading PNG's in my project? - might be related to my issue, but I've ran a drive scan, and it's come up clean...

Wondering if something in Win 10 updates may have broken permissions needed for your tool to work, but will do some more elimination mate... ran it as admin, no joy, and will move the projects and try again (also recursively applied permissions to the project folder(s) in question, but no joy either!)

Thanks as always!

1606396991553.png
Den.

Last edited:

Karlstens

EDIT: oops, disregard. Need to wait for your GMS2.3.1 patch.

Hello! I've just dived back into GMS2.3.1 with their recent update, and decided to re-create a couple of old projects to bring myself up to speed. Surprisingly, I can't believe that there's no inbuilt quick method for me to create a new GMS2 project, then open up an existing project and copy out sprite data into my new project (apart from 1 at a time... erk, that's not very cool...)

Anywho, upon finding your app this looks exactly like it's designed to solve this problem. However I have a couple of errors when running the latest itch.io version;

1606699940433.png

It seems to be looking for project folders that don't exist in my new project yet... but that's because it's a new project that is more-or-less empty. I wanted to start off by first grabbing all my sprites, then building up my app from there.

EDIT: LOL. Helps if I read;

NOTE: This tool does NOT currently work with GMS2.3+, due to the new project format. I'm looking into updating the tool to work with the new format.
Hopefully you'll have some time to address. Can't wait to check it out. :)

Mick

Hi, sorry to bump an old thread; had anyone tried this with GMS 2.3? Does it still work?
[Edit: sorry again, found the answer is NO on itch.io immediately]
I have been using it and it is such a huge timesaver for me! So if I can do anything or donate to the cause to move to 2.3 eventually I would be glad to help!
Me too. I'd happily donate to support this. No worries though if it's simply too much work. :)
EDIT: oops, disregard. Need to wait for your GMS2.3.1 patch.

Hello! I've just dived back into GMS2.3.1 with their recent update, and decided to re-create a couple of old projects to bring myself up to speed. Surprisingly, I can't believe that there's no inbuilt quick method for me to create a new GMS2 project, then open up an existing project and copy out sprite data into my new project (apart from 1 at a time... erk, that's not very cool...)

EDIT: LOL. Helps if I read;

Hopefully you'll have some time to address. Can't wait to check it out. :)
I have been working on a new version of this tool for GMS2.3+. The project format has changed quite a bit and "hacks" are used in the json format, so it's not an easy task. I will let you know when/if I have a working version.

I have been working on a new version of this tool for GMS2.3+. The project format has changed quite a bit and "hacks" are used in the json format, so it's not an easy task. I will let you know when/if I have a working version.
Thanks for the update man. Good luck with it! It really is something that GameMaker is crying out for so maybe they'll add it natively at some point in the future. Can't see it happening any time soon though! Hope it doesn't turn out to be too difficult! :)

chirpy

Thanks for the reply! It's really a great tool. Now that we have local packages in GMS, reusing assets isn't as painful as it used to be. Still looking forward to a new version nevertheless.

OnLashoc

Does this still work for GMS 2.3?

***EDIT TO ADD, NEVERMIND, SOME OF THE POSTS HERE WERE HIDDEN, IT DOES NOT WORK FOR 2.3