• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Drawing text frustrations

I'm having a break from my main project to work on some form controls. I'm currently writing a text box control.

I am perfectly happy with the code I have at the moment so I really don't want to completely restructure it in order to fix the following issue.

The gap between each letter either needs to be widened by a hair (So I can fit a blinker in). Even better if I could have a custom gap between any two given letters. I can think of a dozen ways to do this and I don't like any of them.

Nidoking

The best I can think of is to modify the font resource so that the letters have a wider buffer around them. I don't know whether that's even possible, but it should be.

The next best would be to draw each letter separately. Doesn't sound pleasant, but it definitely gives you the customization you want.

Thanks I was hoping not to have to do that. I may just stick the blinker in the middle of the letters and just leave it be. It's not ideal but It's not a massive problem I guess.

I'm in a bad situation where my solution is to send a keyboard press using keyboard_key_press(vk_space); Is there any way I can just add a space to a string? You can't just string+= " ". for obvious reasons. :(

Nidoking

I'm in a bad situation where my solution is to send a keyboard press using keyboard_key_press(vk_space); Is there any way I can just add a space to a string? You can't just string+= " ". for obvious reasons. :(
They're not obvious to me, because as far as I know, you can just string += " ".

I was able to add spaces to strings, yes but it wouldn't accept it for transformed text drawing. It doesn't recognize it as space.

However, I must have made some other mistake because this seems to be working now.

When I said obviously it felt like it at the time. I thought Gamemaker was parsing it and treating it as "" not " ". Dosen't seem to be the case tho after further investigation.