Windows Ludum Dare 36- On Fire

dietzribi

Discovery of fire gone wrong in this fast paced platformer.
Made in Game Maker Studio
Graphics in Game Maker as well
Sounds recorded in Audacity
Music with Maschine

A platformer on the discovery of fire gone wrong.
First LD ever, first "released" Game Maker game ever (even though I've been using it for many, many years).
I didn't think I would make it, but I did! Even though the game is really short I'm very happy with it :)
Would love to hear some feedback!
LD page
itch.io
Direct download from Drop Box

Screens:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Wonderful game! Both thumbs up. And it's a good use of the Ludum Dare theme.

The intro made me laugh out loud. I loved the drawing style and the little snippets of music. Who knew Mankind's ancient ancestors were Japanese? But seriously, those are sweet sounding. Did you record these yourself? You mention Audacity and Maschine Studio, so I assume you composed these yourself.

(I stopped the game after the intro, and re-played it. It was that good.)

The graphical style is "primitive" stick figures and simple drawings. But they are very expressive! Not amateurish, as they might appear from the fixed screen shots. You're talented. It takes artistic skill to create emotion in such simple-looking animations.

The gameplay is great fun. Based on the simple premise of "just running with it" to create fire (at the risk of self immolation), each level has the challenge of getting to the fire pit. OK, I haven't made it past the second level yet... but I will.

Anyway, you've got a little gem here. Perfect for the LD comp. I hope you do well with it.

A

Alunite

Played your game/commented on it on the Ludum Dare website but will say it here too that it's a really great game, especially being made for LD compo! Very good job. Levels were that level of difficulty where I had to keep playing to beat them so well done all round, super impressive to do all of that in 48 hours.

dietzribi

Thanks for the feedback! I'm really happy to hear that you guys enjoyed it :)
The intro made me laugh out loud. I loved the drawing style and the little snippets of music. Who knew Mankind's ancient ancestors were Japanese? But seriously, those are sweet sounding. Did you record these yourself? You mention Audacity and Maschine Studio, so I assume you composed these yourself.
The Maschine + the software that comes with it are my brother's and he helped me a lot with the music (both the intro and the in-game music) so I guess I cheated a little bit because it's not 100% me.

A bit off topic- I feel that the games that you have to download get less traffic (and that's understandable, since it's much easier to just go to a web page and play a game rather than downloading a file) so I thought about buying the HTML5 module. Is it worth it? I mean, if I buy it, is it just a matter of setting a different target and everything should correctly or are there modifications to the game that need to be made?

Zerb Games

Thanks for the feedback! I'm really happy to hear that you guys enjoyed it :)

The Maschine + the software that comes with it are my brother's and he helped me a lot with the music (both the intro and the in-game music) so I guess I cheated a little bit because it's not 100% me.

A bit off topic- I feel that the games that you have to download get less traffic (and that's understandable, since it's much easier to just go to a web page and play a game rather than downloading a file) so I thought about buying the HTML5 module. Is it worth it? I mean, if I buy it, is it just a matter of setting a different target and everything should correctly or are there modifications to the game that need to be made?
I would say it's worth it. Also, great game very well done. Are you knew to GM I haven't seen you before...

Sabnock

great game but i am also unable to get beyond lvl 2 :(

Love the gfx, sound and smoothness of play. another game that has inspired me to try harder with my own projects.

dietzribi

I would say it's worth it. Also, great game very well done. Are you knew to GM I haven't seen you before...
Thanks, actually I've been using GM for a really really long time on and off (I think something like 10+ years) and I have tons of unfinished prototypes, that's why I decided to try an LD, so it's a scoped project that you just HAVE to finish. It was a good experience and got me motivated to make more games. But yeah this account is brand new lol

great game but i am also unable to get beyond lvl 2 :(

Love the gfx, sound and smoothness of play. another game that has inspired me to try harder with my own projects.
Press space to turn yourself into a fireball! The game isn't that hard and it's only 7 levels. (And in the last one it's harder to lose than to win, lol)

D

Docker

I really liked this game, its a simple concept yet fun and oddly addicting.

My only complaint is that I ran out of levels before I had the chance to get bored :p

Last edited: