• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Ideal Game Help

R

Roavid

Hi i am currently making a ideal game and I was how I would go about making so it kept track of what you were earning when the game was closed. Many thanks I'm advance

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I'll assume that you meant "idle game".

The basics go roughly like this: When exiting the game, save the time it was closed at. You can use current_time to get the current time.
When opening it again, calculate the difference between the time now and the time when it was closed.
Use that with a formula that provides you with the average gain during that time period. For example, if you gain 5 gold for every second while the game is closed and had it closed for 60 seconds, you'd gain 5 * 60 = 300 gold.

R

Roavid

Yes thank you this is exactly what I needed. I had no idea that function existed I was planning on using a server to track when the player logs in and logs out and having their score attached to a player ID. But this is perfect. Thank you

ophelius

You may also want to save and retrieve your data with base64_encode and base64_decode in order for people to not tamper with the time codes to cheat, it'll make sure the file is scrambled when looking at it from a text editor:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
When exiting the game, save the time it was closed at. You can use current_time to get the current time.
It might be a good idea to save the time every 5-15 minutes or so even if the player doesn't close the game. If they force quit the game (or it crashes, or they have a power outage), the time normally wouldn't be saved on-quit. This could make them lose progress... or gain too much progress, since it now will look like they haven't played the game since the PREVIOUS time they played it.

R

Roavid

Thank you for your support guys the answers submitted have really helped and i appreciate it. :) and yes i did mean Idle lol.