• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Trainee Programmer Internship

J

Jake Habgood

Hi - I hope it's okay to put this here...

My relationship with GameMaker goes back a long way (I co-authored the Game Maker's Apprentice with Mark Overmars about 14 years ago).

I've been impressed with the talent that GameMaker has helped to develop over the years, and wondered if this internship opportunity with me at Sumo Digital (specifically our Sheffield HQ) might suit someone here:

What makes this different from typical internship opportunities is that we're NOT necessarily looking for any prior experience of C++ or 3D game engines (we're going to teach you that). You don't even necessarily have to have a degree.

We're simply looking for aptitude and enthusiasm, so if you have your own portfolio of amazing GameMaker creations and a thirst for becoming a professional game programmer, then you could be exactly what we're looking for.

Although we're all working remotely at the moment, candidates should expect to be spending some time at our Sheffield studio in the UK, once things return to "normal".

More about Sumo-Digital here: https://www.sumo-digital.com/
More from me here: https://twitter.com/jacobmph

Kind Regards,

Jake

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I have moved this into the Community section of the forum so that it can get a bit more visibility... Thanks for posting and letting us know about this very interesting opportunity!

J

Jake Habgood

Many thanks for that - appreciated. It would certainly be interesting to see applications from the GMC.

If anyone has any questions then feel free to post them here or message me and I will do my best to reply.

D

Deleted member 45063

This sounds very interesting but I have a question:
  • Is there any sort of support in the relocation process for applicants that are outside of the UK? This doesn't matter during the remote working period but since it is expected to spend some time in the office as well it is an important part.

NAL

ʕ ᓀ ᴥ ᓂ ʔ
GMC Elder
Incredible opportunity - I hope it leads to you finding someone fantastic.

And great to see you around after all this time - I still remember the amazement at finding out the co-author of the GM Apprentice was also the lead programmer on Hogs of War!

J

Jake Habgood

This sounds very interesting but I have a question:
  • Is there any sort of support in the relocation process for applicants that are outside of the UK? This doesn't matter during the remote working period but since it is expected to spend some time in the office as well it is an important part.
Thanks for your question Rui. Unfortunately a relocation package would not be the norm for an internship opportunity like this.

D

Deleted member 45063

Thanks for your question Rui. Unfortunately a relocation package would not be the norm for an internship opportunity like this.
Does that include pointers and/or legal advice for applicants that can relocate by themselves (as in, no support of any kind is given)?

Yaazarai

I live in the U.S. unfortunately. Amazing opportunity though. Always been a hobbyist in programming. My unprofessional portfolio... Though I did work voluntarily on Parakeet 2 with Jobo for like 8 months as well in C#/WPF, but that was like 4+ years ago.