• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Full-Screen Initialization Failure

Whenever I launch my fullscreen game, if I Alt+Tab out, click anything on my other monitor, or otherwise just shift "focus" onto another program, my game will minimize. When I pull the game back up, it has failed to actually "fullscreen." It looks like a large border-less window with an inch or so missing on all edges of my monitor. This is not a problem if I wait until my game has completely initialized past the splash screen and made it to the first room. Is this a bug with GMS2 or possibly a DLL issue? Does anyone know a fix? Thanks.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
GameMaker Studio has always done this. When you come back from alt+tabbing you generally have to alt+enter a couple of times to get it back to proper fullscreen.

ophelius

Do you know if YoYo ever plans on fixing this, especially if it has been around "always" like you say?
I've also ran into this issue, where BG processes like Steam would just take over and turn my game into a Windowed mode. It happens too rarely to test, but maybe make sure the 'Allow Full Screen Switching' option is turned off, see if that helps.

I've also ran into this issue, where BG processes like Steam would just take over and turn my game into a Windowed mode. It happens too rarely to test, but maybe make sure the 'Allow Full Screen Switching' option is turned off, see if that helps.
Thank you, but I already have that toggled off :\

A

aleteles3

I had a similar problem. When my game started out of focus, it would start windowed and in a tiny screen. I've managed to fix that by toggling off the "Start in Fulscreen mode" in the graphics options, and manually setting to fullscreen with "window_set_fullscreen(true)" in a async event i have. The main point is: manually switch to full screen a few frames after the start of the game (you could use an alarm in the game controller object, if you have one). I think i saw that in one of PixelatedPope tutorials... Can't remember exactly.

Edit.:
Just realized i've changed one issue to another lol. With that "solution", if i change to windowed mode, the screen size becomes really small. So... yeah.. xD

Last edited by a moderator: