Legacy GM Tiling over object for performance

I

Ian

So i was reading this when i was looking up optimization tips and one of the tips was tiling instead of using blank objects for non-interactive things.

So im working on a platformer and I have buildings that are on the street but not really interactive like this:

(Dont judge, just a draw up for main menu/ char selection placeholder)

So instead of using a blank object just to hold the sprite for buildings should i just make them into one big tile and put it as a tile? In this pic the buildings are a tile just to test it out

P.S.
I do have a parallax effect but the buildings i use for tiles will not be effected, only backgrounds.

L

Lotias

Yeah, that's the idea. Ideally you'd have a tileset to make buildings out of, though (so you can make different buildings from the same set of images).

I

Ian

Yeah, that's the idea. Ideally you'd have a tileset to make buildings out of, though (so you can make different buildings from the same set of images).
I know but im not a fan of repetition

EDIT:
Well as for buildings but like grass/the primary platform I will make a tiles for that to give it variety

L

Lotias

I know but im not a fan of repetition
If done cleverly, it can look like there's not a lot of repetition. It helps balance out the amount of work required, the amount of VRAM required, making texture pages smaller, and having a decent amount of visual variety.

I

Ian

If done cleverly, it can look like there's not a lot of repetition. It helps balance out the amount of work required, the amount of VRAM required, making texture pages smaller, and having a decent amount of visual variety.
I agree and as i said in my edit , stuff like roads,grass/walls yes its good. Big tiles is actually a + in performance. Its easier for it to process one tile then it is multiple smaller ones to make up that image

L

Lotias

The performance difference will usually be quite negligible for most video games, though.

W

Wintery

You do realize that parts of that post maybe a little out of date. It was posted back in 2008 and last updated in 2009. Which means many changes have happened to both GameMaker and to the hardware which most people use now a days.

I

Ian

The performance difference will usually be quite negligible for most video games, though.
Oh yeah most definitely, its not a huge factor
You do realize that parts of that post maybe a little out of date. It was posted back in 2008 and last updated in 2009. Which means many changes have happened to both GameMaker and to the hardware which most people use now a days.
And that is why i posted here to check up with it.