Windows The Egyptian Revelation [Ludum Dare 36]

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Ludum Dare 36 just ended today, and here's what I have submitted.
[Theme: Ancient Technology]
The Egyptian Revelation - A Puzzle Adventure Game - and it has a story, too!

You are an archaeologist, and you are in Egypt, for a trip, and also for your research on ancient technology. Last night you dreamed about something, where some beings are inviting you somewhere. But where? What, you actually know which place it is! Let's go there!

Use your Mouse and Arrow Keys to control the player.

File size: 21 MB

Created using Game Maker: Studio. Except the music and sound effects, which I downloaded from third-party websites, everything is made from scratch (within this 3-day period), which means the art, graphics, code, idea, story, etc. everything is made from scratch, by me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've decided to keep it in this state only and not to develop it any further.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ludum Dare Link: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=107185

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_OpeJhTaC90U1JCVGNVamJqMlU/view?usp=sharing

Play and tell me what you think! :)

Last edited:

Sabnock

This looks really interesting.

I only managed to play 5 mins at works and from that i would comment that

1. Controls were a little confusing. i think it would be possibly better to have one key for moving and let the mouse pointer be the direction.
2. i became stuck in the blocks after the first metal door. this maybe a collision issue.

i will play more once home from work and give it a good go.

Andy

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
This looks really interesting.

I only managed to play 5 mins at works and from that i would comment that

1. Controls were a little confusing. i think it would be possibly better to have one key for moving and let the mouse pointer be the direction.
2. i became stuck in the blocks after the first metal door. this maybe a collision issue.

i will play more once home from work and give it a good go.

Andy
Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at the collision system, maybe tomorrow. :) Until then, if you get stuck in a wall, try rotating the player and moving him randomly. He may come out.

Sabnock

Fixed! Fixed! Link updated in original post, please download again and play. :)
Hi Matharoo,

just played it and enjoyed it.

my thoughts

- feel there could be some background stuff going on in the pyramid like spiders or rats scuttling about just to give the feeling of a little more going on. some cobwebs etc.
- the re-spawn is a little jarring in that it just happens and left me a little confused as to where i was. maybe a mini map or even simpler something that indicates that the location is a checkpoint. a torch that becomes alight on the wall maybe?
- maybe something a little better than what looks like a puddle for the door switches. say a sprite that looks like a floor stone moving?
- is a there a way to save my progress?
- could you add xbox controller support? as i think it would really suit this game.
- Could you add WASD key controls as it feels awkward using the mouse and cursor keys?
- it would feel bettin if the player sprite looked the direction of the key being pressed rather than just relying on the mouse cursor. keep the cursor movement as it really is good when searching the areas but for the movement i doesn't feel quite right to me.

What I loved

- the lighting
- the little indicator that lets me know i'm near an object.
- the ambient background sounds and music (although some varience between areas would be a nice touch)
- the creepy foot steps
- sounds of the doors opening.
- the change in environments (maybe footsep sound change for different surfaces i.e echoey metalic etc.)
- the puzzles
- the story element and the way the text is delivered to the player although sometimes i was concentrating on what i was doing on the main screen that i missed the subtly scrolling text.

i will play it some more later but what i have played i really enjoyed it. and it is far better than any of my efforts to date :D top job.

Andy

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Hi Matharoo,

just played it and enjoyed it.

my thoughts

- feel there could be some background stuff going on in the pyramid like spiders or rats scuttling about just to give the feeling of a little more going on. some cobwebs etc.
- the re-spawn is a little jarring in that it just happens and left me a little confused as to where i was. maybe a mini map or even simpler something that indicates that the location is a checkpoint. a torch that becomes alight on the wall maybe?
- maybe something a little better than what looks like a puddle for the door switches. say a sprite that looks like a floor stone moving?
- is a there a way to save my progress?
- could you add xbox controller support? as i think it would really suit this game.
- Could you add WASD key controls as it feels awkward using the mouse and cursor keys?
- it would feel bettin if the player sprite looked the direction of the key being pressed rather than just relying on the mouse cursor. keep the cursor movement as it really is good when searching the areas but for the movement i doesn't feel quite right to me.

What I loved

- the lighting
- the little indicator that lets me know i'm near an object.
- the ambient background sounds and music (although some varience between areas would be a nice touch)
- the creepy foot steps
- sounds of the doors opening.
- the change in environments (maybe footsep sound change for different surfaces i.e echoey metalic etc.)
- the puzzles
- the story element and the way the text is delivered to the player although sometimes i was concentrating on what i was doing on the main screen that i missed the subtly scrolling text.

i will play it some more later but what i have played i really enjoyed it. and it is far better than any of my efforts to date :D top job.

Andy
Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I have taken your thoughts into consideration. The game is really simple because it was created in 3 days from scratch and I also had school, so I got less time. As I said, I previously decided to stop development on it, but by your suggestions, it seems it can be better. I will surely do some changes when I have time. :)

I did not add a save progress functionality because the game is really short. But, it seems, it may seem longer to you because of the puzzles... so I will try adding a save function.

As for the player's direction, this is what I desired and I have no wish to change it, unless there is a better control scheme that suits my game, of which I currently do not know.

As for the instant re-spawning, I could've made a better one, but, you know, time. I will think about a better way for that too.

I know nothing about controller supports. But this is a game best played with the mouse, so I can't imagine how it would work out on a controller.

Yes, I will add WASD controls too.

:)

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Updated!

+Added WASD controls
+Added visual checkpoint
-I decided not to add save functionality, because that's some tough work (at least for me, it is) and the game does not require a save function because it can be completed in one go.

:)

Sabnock

for 3 days works this is really a nice game. took me nearly two weeks to program my latest effort :( but i was at work most days as well though :)

i will definitely give it another go later tonight.

Sabnock

Just gave it a quick go and straight away the controls are much more comfortable and the visual check point is far less disorienting.

Will give it a proper go later