SOLVED Using the same image for multiple animations

G

GhostDev

I've been creating some player animations lately for what is supposedly going to become a game sooner or later. Some of the animations' sprites use the same image, for example whilst facing right, the player can turn his head to the left but he can also turn it towards the camera and blink. The first four frames of both animations are exactly the same. So, now my question is whether I should put all frames in one giant sprite and code some complicated system to draw all of them using draw_sprite_part or if I really shouldn't worry about duplicate sprites. Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: For anyone thinking about this as well: the GMS texture page creator is actually super duper smart! It doesn't put duplicate images onto the texture page, so you don't have to worry about using duplicate images for multiple sprites!
I figured this out by importing my sprites into a project and previewing the texture page (Options -> Windows -> Graphics)

Last edited by a moderator:

saffeine

personally, i wouldn't bother with any complicated systems.
in the long run, maybe you're saving on file sizes with a complicated system, but it'd be so insignificant that you're better off investing your time elsewhere.

duplicate the sprite, it's fine.

G

GhostDev

personally, i wouldn't bother with any complicated systems.
in the long run, maybe you're saving on file sizes with a complicated system, but it'd be so insignificant that you're better off investing your time elsewhere.

duplicate the sprite, it's fine.
You're probably right, thanks for the answer :) the images are 16x16 anyway, thus not taking up a lot of space