Distribution The price for pots is high

H

honeybone82

Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you know a way exclusive to GM2 games for raising money for the platform port liscence from yoyo games. I already have a game released for steam, I've even been accepted by Nintendo and have a nintendo dev account. But I don't have the means to put down 800$ for the nintendo licence, much less the Sony, Google Play, or the big enchilada all platforms licence. Any practical ideas would be appreciated.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
This is like getting a driver's licence when you can't afford a car, or a boating licence when you can't afford a boat. Just because you got the licence, it doesn't suddenly put moral weight on the rest of us to help you finance the equipment the licence is meant for. It's your fault that you put the cart before the horse and fail to consider the money part first.

You're going to have to raise money the same way other developers always had to, GMS 2 user or not. Tap into personal savings. Divert the earnings from your Steam game. Get a Kickstarter going and announce it on your Steam page. Apply for a temporary second job. Take out a business loan.

Toque

I think a lot of people use go fund me or Kickstarter for these type of things. If you have any skills to sell that could help too.

H

honeybone82

i don't understand how any of this advise is helpful at all, it all seems more like rebukes for asking for advise. Just because a game is released on steam doesn't mean gobbs of money starts rolling in. Having a game on steam doesn't mean anything other than it's time to put down massive amounts of more money so people see the game, cause you get shelved immediately. Kickstarter is garbage, i'm not asking for money that i'm not going to payback, and i already have enough debts. Google advertising seems to be the only feasible option as far as advertising, and they want 64$ to show your advertisement to about 2000 people world wide which is crap. The name of the video game industry is money, which I have very little.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

honeybone82

This is like getting a driver's licence when you can't afford a car, or a boating licence when you can't afford a boat. Just because you got the licence, it doesn't suddenly put moral weight on the rest of us to help you finance the equipment the licence is meant for. It's your fault that you put the cart before the horse and fail to consider the money part first.

You're going to have to raise money the same way other developers always had to, GMS 2 user or not. Tap into personal savings. Divert the earnings from your Steam game. Get a Kickstarter going and announce it on your Steam page. Apply for a temporary second job. Take out a business loan.
i didn't ask for your moral support, and I'm not at any fault other than asking the community from which the studio I use. Maybe you should think about your harsh words before you speak. Even fools seem intelligent when their mouths are closed. You would do good to listen to Soloman's advice.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Maybe you should think about your harsh words before you speak. Even fools seem intelligent when their mouths are closed. You would do good to listen to Soloman's advice.
You would do better to listen to the advice of Luke 14:28-29:

For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it
Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him.

i don't understand how any of this advise is helpful at all, it all seems more like rebukes for asking for advise. Just because a game is released on steam doesn't mean gobbs of money starts rolling in. Having a game on steam doesn't mean anything other than it's time to put down massive amounts of more money so people see the game, cause you get shelved immediately. Kickstarter is garbage, i'm not asking for money that i'm not going to payback, and i already have enough debts. Google advertising seems to be the only feasible option as far as advertising, and they want 64$ to show your advertisement to about 2000 people world wide which is crap. The name of the video game industry is money, which I have very little.
You want practical advice? Get a job. If you already have one, get a second job. If that's still not enough, sell some of your assets. If you don't have any, create some. Utilize your strengths. If you're a decent artist, sell some art. Create some stuff to put up on the YYG Marketplace (there's your GM exclusive way to generate income). If you already have a game up on Steam for sale, find ways to market it. Gift influential YouTubers some keys. If your game on Steam isn't going to generate enough revenue to get it or whichever title of yours onto Nintendo's platform, then is spending money you don't have (or other people's money) to put it on another platform really a worthwhile investment that isn't just going to put you into even more debt? Is there any confidence you can inspire in others to donate towards your next project if your last one was a flop? Like you said, the name of the game is money, and if your games aren't interesting enough to stand out and make money, nobody is going to give you more cash in the hopes that you'll hit a home run the next time. Hell, you have a topic here where you admit to having your Steam game flop and that you're offering your services for free. What support are you expecting to come reeling in on your next attempt if you're just giving people a strong reason to look away instead?

There is no shortcut to success, and right now you're sounding entitled to your license just because you're halfway there. If you can't afford the $800, then the Nintendo route isn't currently available to you, but short of some good Samaritan overlooking your childish attitude and gifting you the funds, there's no easy or unique way that hasn't been attempted by your fellow struggling developers. There's no secret fund to dip into to use exports other than Windows. We all want to be in the spotlight, having our games cherished on multiple platforms and being our own financially stable bosses, but nobody got there without sacrifice or by asking for handouts. If this advice isn't enough for you, I'd suggest another, more viable career. Attacking others (including FrostyCat) for pointing out the mistakes in your journey isn't going to get you anywhere.

Gunner

If you can't even come up with that amount, then you shouldn't port to consoles at all. It shows that you're lacking the resources of console development itself, which will get quite taxing. It won't be a one click solution export.

Anyways business is business, and those are prices you need to pay to start your business. If you can't afford a lemonade stand, then you can't sell lemonade!

Roastedzerg

Coincidentally this topic has given me some insight, being that my game was also a flop on the market. Tireless resolute is what its all about. Listen to any game dev, renowned and unknown, that's what its all about. That and learning from your mistakes. For every game you make you learn and improve. Keep at it and you will succeed. Hell, John Romero says he made over 60 games before he made a game that caught any fire. Perseverance is what it takes. Nobody rides for free.

Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you know a way exclusive to GM2 games for raising money for the platform port liscence from yoyo games. I already have a game released for steam, I've even been accepted by Nintendo and have a nintendo dev account. But I don't have the means to put down 800$ for the nintendo licence, much less the Sony, Google Play, or the big enchilada all platforms licence. Any practical ideas would be appreciated.
I'm wondering if you'd considered offering a cut of your revenue in exchange for the subsidy...? Is the game you've got on Steam the same one you're trying to port to Nintendo? Could you post a link to the game?
If this game looks promising, you just might be able to inspire some investment... With respect, sincerely, I don't think it would go over well for anyone to ask for donations here, let alone someone so new to the forums as yourself. Maybe it's happened, but I've never heard of it. I would also echo Roastedzerg's remarks regarding the market, etc... I too released a game on Steam this past November and not one sale, yet I'm determined to keep going. It's best not to react to these admonishments so defensively. The advice they've offered is sound —real-world, industry common sense.

Last edited:
M

MahakGTR34

The question is why would you want to get your game on the Nintendo platform if it's not remotely successful on Steam. All the work and effort being put into this could be used better elsewhere. I guess if you ask about this on a public forum you'll have to deal with our opinions.

You are basically asking how to get a professional service for free or get it funded. That really bothers me because you want to get your game distributed but don't want to dish out the money for it. If you are confident in your game you'll pay for it yourself, I know I would.

On a sidenote, having a dev. account for Nintendo does not mean they will pick up your game, they are especially picky and given the fact that your game doesn't do well on Steam that doesn't fare well.

Gradius

If you're unable to turn a meaningful profit on any other platform, investing almost a thousand dollars into *maybe* having your game published on the Nintendo e-store, and then *maybe* making over those thousand dollars in profit is a huge risk. If your game is unable to stand out on steam, there's every possibility Nintendo will simply reject it outright - and then you're out $800.

If your game is good, let it earn on cheaper platforms first. You'll need time to get it running on other platforms properly anyway. If you insist on trying to do a simultaneous launch and the game has breaking issues or simply isn't well recieved by either publishers, gamers, or both... then you've just wasted a massive sum of both time and money on a failed project. Remember that even triple A studios frequently can projects halfway through development, or make a loss on release even for fully finished games. Banking on your game being a super hit capable of turning enough profit to be worth the release cost, yet being unwilling to wait for any of that profit to roll in to offset further development is just silly.

S

Sybok

i'm not asking for money that i'm not going to payback, and i already have enough debts.
Sounds like you are asking for a loan and telling the bank you're up to your neck in debt.

What is it you want exactly? Advice on a get rich quick scheme? If we knew about any such schemes we'd be right on to that ourselves.

Bottom line, game dev costs money. Once you get the console exporters, how will you pay the various companies their developer liscensing fees. Sony was $3000 last time I looked, admittedly I haven't checked in a long time. But you can bet there will be another cost barrier after your $800, then another, then another...

I'd try and not be offended and go back and re-read everyone's advice. They aren't trying to stop you. You just don't like the facts they are presenting to you.