Steam Steam Cloud Synchronization

bocoboc

Hello,
I'm currently trying to implement steam cloud to my game but I ran into a problem.
I decided to use Cloud API and all my writings to server are fine, but steam only downloads these files to its own "userdata" folder and not where they should be.
Is this how it suppose to be? Neither GMS docs or steam docs does not explain this enough. I guess I would have to use Auto-Cloud if this is the case.
All my saves are bunch of stored buffers in "*.dat" files so I see no way to work with them just with "steam_file_read()" which returns string.

There are almost no tutorials on Steam API functions I really think someone would appreciate if yoyogames created one more detailed.

Please if you have experience with Steam Cloud just tell me if I'm getting Cloud API function wrong, and should use Auto-cloud. :D
Thanks

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
IIRC steam_file_read() is what you need. You use that then write the string back out as a DAT file in the location you have those files stored. I'm pretty sure this is how I did things in Skein....

D

Deleted member 16767

Try making a variable, copying your files in gml with that variable and then save it with that variable.

bocoboc

But can I load buffer files into string and re-save it afterwards with "file_text" functions? Won't there be a problem?

bocoboc

But can I load buffer files into string and re-save it afterwards with "file_text" functions? Won't there be a problem?
So I tried to read one of my files with steam _file_read() and it only returns "0" unfortunately.

bocoboc

And what is the point of any other file than text file on cloud when you can only read strings? There is an example for writing to cloud "steam_file_write_file("rm_koala.png", "Koala2.png"); " in gms docs but you have no way to actually do with that .png file afterwards. This is kind of weird. :D It really should be more described in documentation.