GMC Jam Discussion The Leapin' GMC Jam 36 Discussion Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
My first clue was too good... I don't think I can give away any more letters without giving away the whole thing. I won't make the same mistake next time!

But maybe, maybe this, in and of itself, is a sort of clue?

OooOOOOoOOOOooOoooOoOOOo

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'd be pretty hyped for EVERYTHING HAS A COST, since it's one of those mechanical themes I really longed for back in the previous jam~

time to make a roguelike where you're stuck in the self-service storage in an Ikea mall and need to buy furniture to escape

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I would have loved to experiment with new GML features for this Jam, but I guess unless open beta gets announced around tomorrow or so, I won't have time to play around with new version until the actual Jam.
(too bad, especially since from my last Jam entry I could tell the new features would help a lot)

Carloskhard

Hey guys, I own the android module for GM2, but not the desktop module. Can I participate in the jam? Maybe can I upload the whole proyect so somebody else creates the executable for me? I would really love to take part on the jam.

M

Misu

I remember the last time they did a forum migration, it took more than 4 months. The community did participate in the GMC jam by using their personal attendance on different public discord and skype servers (randomly and few isolated). So using the GMC jam discord server can be a good idea until they get the forums back up.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
So, anyone doubts that it's "EVERYTHING HAS A COST" at this point? Given how well it matches the clues so far, Dan's reluctance to give any more clues, and that post from ghandpivot from a while ago...
If I can agree with the M, next jam the theme will only be possible to present through gameplay.
... I don't see how it could be anything else. I mean, it's hard to come up with a more gameplay-centric theme than that.

(that said, I can totally imagine people still twisting the theme in a way that it's presented outside of the gameplay; like, some cautionary tale that you don't get anything for free)

I wonder how it'll turn out. So far I thought about two major ways to incorporate the theme:
- some kind of economics game (because it naturally comes to mind when thinking about "COSTS")
- a game where every gameplay action comes with some cost and/or tradeoff

One thing I liked about SUPERNATURAL is that it led to a variety of themed gameplay mechanics without a single dominant genre (i.e. the kind of genre 50% or more people would think of as a way to incorporate the theme).
Even the presentation-based interpretation often had enough depth to them to feel more like a themed entry than a poor excuse of a theme (granted, it turned out most people used Halloween approach to the theme, but still).

EVERYTHING HAS A COST, on the other hand, seems more restrictive not just in terms of story/presentation-based interpretations (excluding them almost entirely), but gameplay-based interpretations as well. I hope we won't end up with dozens of samey economics games...

GMWolf

aka fel666
So, anyone doubts that it's "EVERYTHING HAS A COST" at this point? Given how well it matches the clues so far, Dan's reluctance to give any more clues, and that post from ghandpivot from a while ago...

... I don't see how it could be anything else. I mean, it's hard to come up with a more gameplay-centric theme than that.

(that said, I can totally imagine people still twisting the theme in a way that it's presented outside of the gameplay; like, some cautionary tale that you don't get anything for free)

I wonder how it'll turn out. So far I thought about two major ways to incorporate the theme:
- some kind of economics game (because it naturally comes to mind when thinking about "COSTS")

One thing I liked about SUPERNATURAL is that it led to a variety of themed gameplay mechanics without a single dominant genre (i.e. the kind of genre 50% or more people would think of as a way to incorporate the theme).
Even the presentation-based interpretation often had enough depth to them to feel more like a themed entry than a poor excuse of a theme (granted, it turned out most people used Halloween approach to the theme, but still).

EVERYTHING HAS A COST, on the other hand, seems more restrictive not just in terms of story/presentation-based interpretations (excluding them almost entirely), but gameplay-based interpretations as well. I hope we won't end up with dozens of samey economics games...
If it is, I have a pretty fun idea, but I'm sure others will get the same idea.
But I can think of a few other ideas too, so I don't think it's such a bad theme. There are many different ways to pay.

(I hereby reserve the idea of making a micro transaction driven game)

ceaselessly

Regarding game mechanics, "everything has a cost" has as many iterations as there are different genres of game. What I'll be looking toward in games that I vote for is how much they commit!

If we see a lot of economics games, I can imagine different aesthetics differentiating entries from each other. Everyone here is very creative!

But even if we end up with a hundred Farmvilles at the end of this, at least a hundred different teams made a game. :)

Toque

the challenge in this jam may be finding and incorporating the theme into an original game.

sounds like fun.

so it could be the opposite. People may try really hard in creative ideas and we get 30 very different games.

I know I will try.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
so it could be the opposite. People may try really hard in creative ideas and we get 30 very different games.
That's the optimistic scenario. ^^'

The pessimistic scenario (keyword being "pessimistic", i.e. not necessarily realistic) is that people will try really hard to come up with creative ideas, but unable to think of these will drop out altogether and we get 10 games instead.

I guess time will tell...

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Hmmm...
Code:
EVERYTHING HAS A BODY
To contrast all these ghostly and spiritual games from the last Jam.
Code:
EVERYTHING HAS A TOMB
That would be a sort-of repeat from the "everybody is dead" Jam a while back (also, Worms).
Code:
EVERYTHING HAS A BOSS
That would be a sort-of repeat from the boss battle Jam a while back.
Code:
EVERYTHING HAS A DROP
That would be a sort-of repeat from a game I submitted for the boss battle Jam a while back (also, dubstep).
Code:
EVERYTHING HAS A CROC
EVERYTHING HAS A (FLIP-)FLOP
A battle royale walking simulator, maybe?
Code:
EVERYTHING HAS A FONT
EVERYTHING HAS A WORD
Text-based games incoming!
Code:
EVERYTHING HAS A COPY
Backup simulator, maybe? Either way, this one seems like it could be legitimate aside from the COST thing?

Toque

That's the optimistic scenario. ^^'

The pessimistic scenario (keyword being "pessimistic", i.e. not necessarily realistic) is that people will try really hard to come up with creative ideas, but unable to think of these will drop out altogether and we get 10 games instead.

I guess time will tell...
Sure thats possible. I respect that.

I will have to say if this is the case I will give creative use of the theme the number one thing I will rank games on. Of course not the only thing but if someone is creative I will rank higher. I mean if your game stands out it should rank higher. Maybe the highest?????? Some incentive to try some thing different!!!!!! Take a chance....... Get out of your comfort zone.......

Carloskhard

I don't see how that can help me. I already have a PC. What I don't have is the pc module license for GM2. I can make the game since I have the android module, but not the pc one.
MY question is if I can do something to enter the JAM like using a temporary module export or sending the full game proyect.

Please admins, let me know something about this.
Thanks.

Code:
EVERYTHING HAS A PLOT
Finally, a Jam for story-driven games!
Oh man, I'm going to have to write a plot for every npc now huh? Oh man, that's going to be on long rpg with no buttons to skip the dialogue. I'd want to make sure the player understands each character has a plot and that they matter. :)

curato

Oh man, I'm going to have to write a plot for every npc now huh? Oh man, that's going to be on long rpg with no buttons to skip the dialogue. I'd want to make sure the player understands each character has a plot and that they matter. :)
You have to do like an anime. Before every power move you have to do a cut scene to flashback to how they got this ability.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Code:
EVERYTHING HAS A COLD
Well, I know I do. *cough, cough*
(the sore throat is the worst, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.