GMC Profile Pic Collage

RollyBug

I like playing around with large amounts of data. My current programming project is a tool that allows you to generate a mosaic with an input image and tiles. I needed a large sample of images to stress-test the tool and what came to mind were the profile pics of everyone here.

At first I wasn't sure if downloading all of these images was even practically possible. But, sure enough, each user's profile image is easily accessible through a unique URL.

Each image link has this structure:

https://forum.yoyogames.com/data/avatars/l/[X]/[Y].jpg

...where Y is a forum user ID and X is the first two digits of that ID. My ID is 27145, so my link is:

https://forum.yoyogames.com/data/avatars/l/27/27145.jpg

So, to batch download *all* user's profile pics, I simply need to download each possible variation of this link. To make that easier on myself I used a Chrome extension called Simple Mass Downloader to do most of the heavy lifting. I could set a pattern URL like so:

https://forum.yoyogames.com/data/avatars/l/0/[0:999].jpg

...and it would download 0.jpg through 999.jpg in that directory. Next, I had to do the same thing for all other directories, so I copied that a bunch and made this text file with the numbers adjusted a bit (Notepad++ is great for this sort of thing!). The last step was to copy and paste each line into the pattern URL field to build my download queue and finally start downloading!

There are only about 15,000 registered users, and of those users only some have set their profile picture, so I was expecting no more than, say, 5,000 images. Since my downloading queue included *every single possible number combination* I got a bunch of "file not found" errors with proper images mixed in. In the end I received 4,190 images taking up 63.7 MB of space. That means about 30% of us have set a profile pic, which is interesting I guess.

I made a collage with each image included which you can view below. Have fun trying to find yourself!

Note that each image has been resized to 48x48 px, meaning that the few pics that were not squares were cut a bit.

I don't know what you could do with this information, I just felt like sharing.

Last edited:

Mercerenies

Very nice. Reminds me of the first time we did something like this (on a much smaller scale albeit). Can't remember if it was very late YYGF or shortly after I hopped over to the GMC, but I do still have the first one. It was my desktop background for years.

As for the big one, I see a lot of people I know (PKB, Electro, canta) but haven't spotted myself yet.

Xor

@XorDev
Neat idea! Interesting how it uses an older variant of my avatar:
upload_2020-1-10_15-53-37.png
I suppose this is because I switched to Gravatar. Perhaps there are even more with Gravatar that can't be easily counted.

RollyBug

Neat idea! Interesting how it uses an older variant of my avatar:
View attachment 28286
I suppose this is because I switched to Gravatar. Perhaps there are even more with Gravatar that can't be easily counted.
When did you change it? I pulled these images a week or two ago.

Edit - I see what you mean now. That is interesting! I'd probably need to seriously change my approach if I were to include those as well.

Reactions: Xor

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Very nice. Reminds me of the first time we did something like this (on a much smaller scale albeit). Can't remember if it was very late YYGF or shortly after I hopped over to the GMC, but I do still have the first one. It was my desktop background for years.

As for the big one, I see a lot of people I know (PKB, Electro, canta) but haven't spotted myself yet.
This image gave me a huge nostalgia blast..... sobs

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Found it! 22nd column, 15th row. Amazing picture by the way. I could amuse myself forever finding everyone I recognize.

RollyBug

I was looking forward to a hunt, but my picture was the fifth one. :p
I suspect that the first people to register (regulars) received low ID values and are all at the top - It seemed that way scrubbing through the folder of images. I was a bit slow to register so I'm more towards the middle.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I suspect that the first people to register (regulars) received low ID values and are all at the top - It seemed that way scrubbing through the folder of images. I was a bit slow to register so I'm more towards the middle.
I don't think so... I have ID 6 and I'm way over and down on the right bottom corner...

Nicely down, btw!!!

RollyBug

I don't think so... I have ID 6 and I'm way over and down on the right bottom corner...

Nicely down, btw!!!
Interesting. So while my folder of images is sorted by ID the program I used to make the collage (my own code) seems to have no pattern at all. And thanks!

D

Deleted member 45063

Thanks to the avatar made by my Secret Santa it was rather easy to spot myself (a bit off from the top right corner). But nice collage @RollyBug !!

BenRK

Neat. Took forever for my 30 year old brain to process this, but I found my dumb avatar I made when I was 16 or something. I haven't changed that thing in literal decades now.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
interesting, cant find my old pfp but if anyone happens to let me know if its there at all lol
Capture+_2019-05-05-23-30-30_2.png