• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

GMS2 improvement by fd2, 03: Name of created asset

fireday2

Good life to you humans from your planet neighbor!

I come here to offer improvements to our favorite gms2
I will post my ideas and numeric it. It's the third
(one is already done, a second is in progress. thx devs)

03. Name of created asset by using hotkey
When you create new asset by using hotkey (sprite, object, etc) - The first you may want to do with it - to give it a name. And it will be nice if name convenient to you
a) the suggest is:
Set the focus to name label after creation
And give the option: highlight the name or not

b) Make options in preference to default name
For exp: I give names to objects in that way: o_Wall, o_Tree
and it will be great if i can make base name like "o_". And when i create an object i can simply write the name without repeating perfix

At the moment, all gms2 users have to make extra click after creating new asset (if they use hotkeys) to give it name

-------
Dear gms2 Users!, how do you think, Will be this function convenient to you?

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Good life to you humans from your planet neighbor!

I come here to offer improvements to our favorite gms2
I will post my ideas and numeric it. It's the third
(one is already done, a second is in progress. thx devs)

03. Name of created asset.
When you create new asset (sprite, object, etc) - The first you may want to do with it - to give it a name
the suggest is:
set the focus to name label after creation

At the moment, all gms2 users have to make extra click after creating new asset to give it name. Devs, pls, Save our time! (maybe make it optional in preferences, at least)

-------
Dear gms2 Users!, how do you think, Will be this function convenient to you?
Erm, create a new asset in the Resource Tree and start typing - the name is already highlighted and editable straight after creation.

What version are you using?

fireday2

Win 10, steam version, IDE v2.2.5.481
oh well. i forgot to say - my suggestion is actual when using hotkeys to create an object

rIKmAN

Win 10, steam version, IDE v2.2.5.481
oh well. i forgot to say - my suggestion is actual when using hotkeys to create an object
Ah I see, that makes more sense.
If it helps in the meantime you can press F2 to edit the name of anything that opens in a code tab (script, shader etc) which means you don't have to search the Resource Tree, and things such as objects etc have specific input boxes to rename.

However I think this is a good suggestion that you should put into YYG using Help > Report a Bug in the IDE and choosing Feature Request.
It should be a toggleable option as the Resource Tree auto scrolling would no doubt annoy some people - me included.

gnysek

There are changes in 2.3 according to resource tree (more flexible, changed design), so I would wait with proposals to beta release, maybe it already works like it. Should be within month (I hope).

fireday2

There are changes in 2.3 according to resource tree (more flexible, changed design), so I would wait with proposals to beta release, maybe it already works like it. Should be within month (I hope).
Thx for information! I go to wait :)