• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux Ubuntu build with virtual machine, cannot connect

Hi.

My aim is to compile to Linux using Ubuntu on a virtual machine. My ultimate goal is to use GameMaker to create arcade style games and run them on a banana pi board, so I can develop and build arcade machinces as a project with my high school students.

I'm new to virtual machines and Linux, so I'm a bit out of my depth here. I'm trying to follow this guide. I have installed VirtualBox and installed Ubuntu 18.04 (and tried with 14.x as well). It seems to be working, and I am connected to the internet on the guest when using NAT network.

I cannot connect to my virtual machine. I can't even ping it from my Windows host. I am suspecting that the problem might be because I'm on a work computer, and the IT department has put some sort of restriction on it.

I've tried the following:
- Changing NAT network to bridge on the VM (this shuts down internet connection on the VM).
- Changing NAT network to Only Hosted Networks. I cannot find any Networks in VirtualBox > File > Settings > Network.
- Changing my Ubuntu guest to static IP, since I read somewhere that the three first parts of the IP address has to be the same on the host and guest. Every time I try to change to static IP, I lose internet connection.
Ifconfig on virtual machine says: "inet 10.0.2.15 netmas 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.0.2.255"
Ipconfig on host says: "IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.1(Preferred)".

Thanks,
Peter

rIKmAN

I cannot connect to my virtual machine. I can't even ping it from my Windows host.
This isn't an really GMS issue, this is a networking issue.
I think you will have more chance of getting help and a solution by posting on VirtualBox and/or Linux networking related forums or subreddits.

Once you fix the networking problem and get a normal connection I would think the GMS side of things would start working normally as per the guide.

You're right, rIKmAN.

I sought help elsewhere and solved my problem. My games are now being compiled to and run by the Ubuntu VM :)

If someone comes accross this thread with a similar problem, the solution was to switch the network of the VM from NAT to Bridged Network WITHOUT touching anything else and still having the DCHP client enabled.

chamaeleon

You're right, rIKmAN.

I sought help elsewhere and solved my problem. My games are now being compiled to and run by the Ubuntu VM :)

If someone comes accross this thread with a similar problem, the solution was to switch the network of the VM from NAT to Bridged Network WITHOUT touching anything else and still having the DCHP client enabled.
Never mind.. Misremembered a test I did a long time ago.

Last edited:
I

IBarcia

You're right, rIKmAN.

Hi!

I have a similar problem and I wonder if you can suggest anything about it. I develop on a Mac and I create a VM with Windows installed in order to compile a Windows executable. I use VirtualBox and I created a Host-Only Network adapter in order to connect the Host and the Server (I followed VirualBox Manual). But I can't find any link to my VM on my Mac that allows me to connect with it. I am very lost. Any hint about what I should do?

Thanks a lot

rIKmAN

Any hint about what I should do?
Similar advice to that given before - post on a Mac / VirtualBox forum or subreddit as you will get much better answers than on here.

This isn't a GMS issue, it's a VirtualBox+Mac setup issue, which will likely be a minority of GMS users compared to a dedicated forum / subreddit specifically for that software.